PDA

View Full Version : Heat

major911
10-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I took about a 30 min ride today. rode it kinda hard but nothing extreme. When I got home I noticed the body panels were very hot. The top panel was too hot to touch. I've never noticed this before. The spyder typically runs 5 bars on the digital temp gauge consistently. I checked the coolant reservoir and it was full. I've never really noticed this kind of heat before. Is this unusual? Should I be concerned? What are some good measures I can take to reduce this heat for the spyders benefit?

spyryder
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Good chance you have a blown exhaust gasket. Here's a thread with a good how to:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?19691-Exhaust-Y-Gasket-replacement&p=355747&viewfull=1#post355747

My panels were hot too, especially on the right side before I changed them at around 7,000 miles.

major911
10-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Good chance you have a blown exhaust gasket. Here's a thread with a good how to:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?19691-Exhaust-Y-Gasket-replacement&p=355747&viewfull=1#post355747

My panels were hot too, especially on the right side before I changed them at around 7,000 miles.

It's only got 2400 miles on it and it had an aftermarket exhaust on it when I bought it so I'm assuming that the previous owner would have changed out the gaskets for the honda GW ones when he changed the exhaust. not a likely cause with so few miles i would hope.

coz
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
doesn't seem like your gaskets would be shot with that amount of miles, but you might have a loose clamp, which will act the same way. have you removed your bottom splash pans yet? this lets lots of heat out underneath.:thumbup:

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 03:07 PM
It's only got 2400 miles on it and it had an aftermarket exhaust on it when I bought it so I'm assuming that the previous owner would have changed out the gaskets for the honda GW ones when he changed the exhaust. not a likely cause with so few miles i would hope.

But, if he saved a buck and reused the old gasket it could have caused premature failure. Just a thought.

major911
10-07-2012, 03:11 PM
But, if he saved a buck and reused the old gasket it could have caused premature failure. Just a thought.

Good point. wouldn't hurt to check.

major911
10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
doesn't seem like your gaskets would be shot with that amount of miles, but you might have a loose clamp, which will act the same way. have you removed your bottom splash pans yet? this lets lots of heat out underneath.:thumbup:

No I haven't. Not sure what splash pans your referring to can you elaborate?

coz
10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
they are the plastic covers under the engine, the left side you would remove to do an oil change. there is one opposite of it on the right side. take them off and hang them on your garage wall. this will make a big difference in how much heat you feel, as it can escape underneath.

major911
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM
they are the plastic covers under the engine, the left side you would remove to do an oil change. there is one opposite of it on the right side. take them off and hang them on your garage wall. this will make a big difference in how much heat you feel, as it can escape underneath.

So I take it they don't serve any other purpose other than trapping heat inside?

DrewNJ
10-07-2012, 06:00 PM
So I take it they don't serve any other purpose other than trapping heat inside?

Exactly! I took mine off at about 100 miles.

aka1004
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM

I am guessing they are there to protect spyder from road debris???
Oh and changing muffler doesn't involve y-gaskets.

NancysToy
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM

At least part of the reason they were put there was to meet USEPA noise regulations. They may also play a minor aerodynamic role. Spyders with them removed seem to accumulate no significant road debris.

major911
10-07-2012, 06:28 PM

you have a point there but I would expect to get more than 2400 miles out of the original gaskets.

aka1004
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Aerodynamics will be a good purpose. :)
I had them off for short period of time but didn't feel right and didn't seem to make much difference and I didn't want something get stuck and cause a fire.

aka1004
10-07-2012, 06:37 PM
you have a point there but I would expect to get more than 2400 miles out of the original gaskets.

Probably not but my right one was disintegrated at 3800 miles when it was replaced, under warranty. There was only small hints that there used to be a gasket there. 2nd one and on lasted much longer thou.

Campverdefela
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
My 09 GS has never gotten that hot. Remove the, I believe large side panels, and with a cold engine feel around the exhaust joint after starting the engine check for leaks. It gets hot quick so be quick.

Recluze
10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Ditto on what everyone else said.

I would replace the exhaust pipe gaskets with the Honda version and stop thinking about it. The BRP ones are weak and if they are not the problem now they soon will be.

As Nancy'sToy says the bottom panel has a purpose. But pulling them off may have more benefit then the original design purpose. I ran a RS/GS with them on for 45,000 miles and never got hot. I have run a RS/GS with them off for 9K miles and it never gets hot. "Hot" is a relative term, but if the bike is not limping and your foot is not gettting third degree burns, you don't have heat problem.

NancysToy
10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
look at SpyderPops heat management products. They can reduce theehat passing back to the body, and force more air through the radiator. Very good package for the RS, IMO.

major911
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Ditto on what everyone else said.

I would replace the exhaust pipe gaskets with the Honda version and stop thinking about it. The BRP ones are weak and if they are not the problem now they soon will be.

As Nancy'sToy says the bottom panel has a purpose. But pulling them off may have more benefit then the original design purpose. I ran a RS/GS with them on for 45,000 miles and never got hot. I have run a RS/GS with them off for 9K miles and it never gets hot. "Hot" is a relative term, but if the bike is not limping and your foot is not gettting third degree burns, you don't have heat problem.

Good advise. I went ahead and bought the honda gaskets anyway and had my local mechanic install them for me. The factory gaskets were not in bad shape and didn't appear to have any leaks. One was a little more worn than the other but now I won't have to worry about it for a long time. The stock gaskets were like cardboard compared to the Honda replacements, easy to see why they disintegrate so quickly.