PDA

View Full Version : Knight and I battle over Cal-Sci shield....

Kratos
10-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Knight was not happy that I wanted to put on a bigger shield. He said "All the other spyders are gonna laugh at me. I'm too cool for this!" But I told him we need to try if we're gonna do some winter riding. It's either the garage for 4 months or outdoor adventuring. So we put on the shield and you can tell that he feels humiliated with it on. :roflblack:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/420.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/422.jpg

After his temper-tandrum when I took this pic, lol, we tried the Cal Sci shield on the road, and it's NOT gonna work for me. I have a bad headache. :sour: The wind was slamming into in my head like an axe hammer (quite painful). At 6'2" and 34" seam, the XL is too short. The cal sci also lets a lot of wind hit the arms and legs and I still felt some air hitting my chest. After a few miles, I took her right off, because it felt better with no shield at all. :shocked: I know what you guys are gonna say.....send it back to get the XXL, but I really don't want one bigger than the XL. The XL on Knight was already too much. Also, I don't like the way there is no arm coverage. Even with the XXL, I'm still gonna freeze from the shoulder to the arms. And if you don't have an air seal at your rist, you're still gonna get air to travel up the arms and to your chest. If I were to do another shield, it would be one that has a "wider" field of coverage. But after this experience, I've decided I'm gonna give up on this windshield exploration and put the cal sci in my collection storage (where a lot of stuff I have bought in the past lives).

So what am I gonna do about winter riding?......explore a different route. I heard they make clothes that warm you like a heater (:hun:). I'm gonna look into that, or maybe just tough it out. I'm really not a fan of what the big shields do to Knight anyway.....really takes away from his awesomeness. I'm sure Knight is happy about that. ;)

Arr MiHardies
10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I'd be surprised if cal sci wouldn't let you return it. They sound pretty willing to do that. Have you tried one of the Corbin fairings?

ARtraveler
10-06-2012, 06:49 PM
RE: Corbin fairings. I had one on both the 2008 GS and the 2009 RS. Very expensive, look "spacey"--but worked great. There was an issue with handlebar clearance because I had 3" risers on the handlebars on both machines. The lock to lock was shorter--but did not prove to be a safety hazard.

coz
10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
will give you some pretty good coverage. i started with a cal-sci ex-large, i liked it, but i got better head coverage with the madstad. i'm 6 '1 . the side deflectors work really well. i'm putting mine back on tomorrow:thumbup:

Sarge707
10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I have the CalSci X-Large on my GS and rode ALL winter when it got above 38 degrees .
Key is a Tourmaster Thermal Suit and BalaCava and Oxford Hands Heated Grips!!!

mick ruhdorf
10-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Im so glad i live in a country with mild winters because i HATE windshields on bikes , im 50 yrs old and have never seen snow and im glad.:D
cheers mick :doorag:

GeoffCee
10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Im so glad i live in a country with mild winters because i HATE windshields on bikes , im 50 yrs old and have never seen snow and im glad.:D
cheers mick :doorag:

We lived in Singapore for 30 months many years ago. Our amah (home help) had never seen snow in her life, but she thought winter in the UK must be like living inside a very large fridge. I couldn't argue with her about that, as a concept it's close to perfection! :roflblack:

oldgoat
10-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I love my "Warm & Safe" heated liner. It warms my body, arms & neck. Also have heated gloves. Makes it comfortable when temp in lower 50's & 40's. Don't go out if it is colder than that.

Not allowed to ride it from Dec 15 - Mar 15 due to Quebec Highway Code law. (snow on ground)

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 09:01 AM
November fifteenth??? :shocked: Some of the best riding is in the lates season...:gaah:
I hunker down in my snowmobile bibs and jacket, and ride on into December... :thumbup:

oldgoat
10-07-2012, 09:22 AM
November fifteenth??? :shocked: Some of the best riding is in the lates season...:gaah:
I hunker down in my snowmobile bibs and jacket, and ride on into December... :thumbup:

My brain fails me a lot these days, might be Dec 15th. Allowed to or not, it's too cold for me then anyway.

Rar
10-07-2012, 09:26 AM
My brain fails me a lot these days, might be Dec 15th. Allowed to or not, it's too cold for me then anyway.

Im just a little south of you in Plattsburgh. This is my first year riding and I'm sure it will be too cold for me also. :coffee:

major911
10-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Knight was not happy that I wanted to put on a bigger shield. He said "All the other spyders are gonna laugh at me. I'm too cool for this!" But I told him we need to try if we're gonna do some winter riding. It's either the garage for 4 months or outdoor adventuring. So we put on the shield and you can tell that he feels humiliated with it on. :roflblack:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/420.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/422.jpg

After his temper-tandrum when I took this pic, lol, we tried the Cal Sci shield on the road, and it's NOT gonna work for me. I have a bad headache. :sour: The wind was slamming into in my head like an axe hammer (quite painful). At 6'2" and 34" seam, the XL is too short. The cal sci also lets a lot of wind hit the arms and legs and I still felt some air hitting my chest. After a few miles, I took her right off, because it felt better with no shield at all. :shocked: I know what you guys are gonna say.....send it back to get the XXL, but I really don't want one bigger than the XL. The XL on Knight was already too much. Also, I don't like the way there is no arm coverage. Even with the XXL, I'm still gonna freeze from the shoulder to the arms. And if you don't have an air seal at your rist, you're still gonna get air to travel up the arms and to your chest. If I were to do another shield, it would be one that has a "wider" field of coverage. But after this experience, I've decided I'm gonna give up on this windshield exploration and put the cal sci in my collection storage (where a lot of stuff I have bought in the past lives).

So what am I gonna do about winter riding?......explore a different route. I heard they make clothes that warm you like a heater (:hun:). I'm gonna look into that, or maybe just tough it out. I'm really not a fan of what the big shields do to Knight anyway.....really takes away from his awesomeness. I'm sure Knight is happy about that. ;)

Did you try the BRP ultra touring shield? I just put the 23" on my spyder, havent had a chande to test it yet but the shield at it's lowest point comes all the way out to the mirrors. I'll let ya know more once I test it out. I've read on here that this shield with the optional side deflectors blocks so well that exhaust fumes become an issue...LOL

oldgoat
10-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Did you try the BRP ultra touring shield? I just put the 23" on my spyder, havent had a chande to test it yet but the shield at it's lowest point comes all the way out to the mirrors. I'll let ya know more once I test it out. I've read on here that this shield with the optional side deflectors blocks so well that exhaust fumes become an issue...LOL

Yes, I now smell exhaust fumes since I installed the BRP 25" Ultra screen & the side deflectors. Wondering if drilling holes in the screen will help.

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Kratos,
That's a shame that this screen isn't a "keeper" for you and Knight. :shocked:
Somebody mentioned MadStad; maybe they've got a workable solution for you...
Well; them and FirstGear anyway! :thumbup:

SpyderRx
10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes, I now smell exhaust fumes since I installed the BRP 25" Ultra screen & the side deflectors. Wondering if drilling holes in the screen will help.

I wondered this myself. I'm getting so aggravated searching for a solution for this problem! I have also thought about extending the exhaust back 3" or putting turn down extensions on the 2 pipes coming out of the back of the muffler to see if that helps. Tried the calsci but still had the fumes! Haven't found anybody yet that says they solved the problem by any other means than removing the side deflectors. Let me know if this works for you

oldgoat
10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I wondered this myself. I'm getting so aggravated searching for a solution for this problem! I have also thought about extending the exhaust back 3" or putting turn down extensions on the 2 pipes coming out of the back of the muffler to see if that helps. Tried the calsci but still had the fumes! Haven't found anybody yet that says they solved the problem by any other means than removing the side deflectors. Let me know if this works for you

I will leave the side deflectors on for this Fall & next Spring but remove them for the summer. I have not ridden it with the 25" screen on & the side deflectors off so don't know which of them causes the backdraft.

Maybe the Madstad bracket & the Ultra 25" screen would be better but I don't have endless cash to keep trying different expensive variations.

coz
10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
i don't know if there is enough room to do this, cause i haven't had my stock pipe on the bike for a very long time. you might be able to lower the muffler to more paralell to the ground with a simple flat steel bracket extension of the muffler hanger. the muffler may or may not clear the parking brake assembly.
this might help with your exhaust fume problem. it's worth a look.

SpyderRx
10-07-2012, 01:01 PM
i don't know if there is enough room to do this, cause i haven't had my stock pipe on the bike for a very long time. you might be able to lower the muffler to more paralell to the ground with a simple flat steel bracket extension of the muffler hanger. the muffler may or may not clear the parking brake assembly.
this might help with your exhaust fume problem. it's worth a look.

This is possible. I will try that before I weld in an extension for the muffler.

SpyderRx
10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I will leave the side deflectors on for this Fall &amp; next Spring but remove them for the summer. I have not ridden it with the 25" screen on &amp; the side deflectors off so don't know which of them causes the backdraft.<br>
<br>
Maybe the Madstad bracket &amp; the Ultra 25" screen would be better but I don't have endless cash to keep trying different expensive variations.<br>
<br>
I have removed the side deflectors with my 25" shield and you have no exhaust fumes with them removed. So they are the problem. I don't like the way the madstad setup looks personally.

oldgoat
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
<br>
<br>
I have removed the side deflectors with my 25" shield and you have no exhaust fumes with them removed. So they are the problem. I don't like the way the madstad setup looks personally.

Thanks.

Kratos
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
The other option is the madstad, but it looks too bulky to me. :sour: Someone just inboxed me and is gonna allow me to try the BRP 23" ultra. They want to try my cal sci. (Gotta love SL). Hey you never know, it might work. Knight is willing because the temps were too low to go out today and he didn't like that. :D

Thanks to the person who inboxed me. :thumbup:

Kratos
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/brpshield3.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/brpshield2.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk278/jarroldharrell/brpshield1.jpg

Actually Knight and I like the look of this shield better. I would of thought the touring would look less sporty, but it's something about following the contour lines of the bike that works for me. Now that we are ok with the look, we took it out for a ride. And I will say it works for me a whole lot better than the Cal Sci did. I have better chest and arm coverage. I still have some head buffeting, but it's less than the Cal Sci. It's a shorter shield but I think the reason that my head buffeting is less is because my head is not in the "direct" stream of the wind like it was with the Cal Sci. This thinking is what makes me feel like going to the 25" Ultra Touring Shield would actually work against me than for me. It would make the shield taller but not tall enough, again putting me back in that direct stream. Now I'm just guessing, and I could be wrong, so the only thing to do is maybe try one and see. The other option would be the combine the 23" with madstad brackets, but I'm not comfortable drilling holes in a $200+ dollar windshield. :shocked:

All and all if Knight and I don't do anything else and we settle for this 23" the way it is, it would benefit the winter season and work for us, and I'm sure I'll get use to the little head buffeting we have. It's definitely about 60% less than the buffeting I got from the Cal Sci. If the guy who has my cal sci likes that shield, this will be a good trade. If the cal sci doesn't work for him, apart of me thinks that I might try out the 25" Ultra to see if I'm actually wrong on the head buffeting theory.

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
...And it don't even look bad! :2thumbs: :ohyea::yes:

Kratos
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
...And it don't even look bad! :2thumbs: :ohyea::yes:

No it doesn't. Gonna do some more testing at lunch to see if I can change the buffeting by where I'm sitting on the bike and my posture.

pro10is
10-10-2012, 11:38 AM
When it comes to windshields you have to make a choice.

Option 1: Use brute force. You stop the wind using a large physical barrier i.e. a tall/wide windshield. This will work, although for someone of your height the windshield will need to be very high.

Pros: Good wind protection.
Cons: Ugly on an GS/RS. - You will always need to look through the windshield. - Impacts gas mileage.

Option 2: Use aerodynamics. This is a bit trickier, you deflect the wind by diverting it around and over you. This is the idea behind the Madstad system. You can use a much smaller windshield and mount it in such a way as to create an airflow where you sit comfortably in the dead spot. This actually works quite well and is why the Madstad windshields are so popular. You have to use trial and error to adjust the windshield just right. Once you find the sweet spot you lock it in and you're done.

Pros: Good wind protection. - You don't need a large windshield. - Less impact on gas mileage. - Looks better (subjective). - You look over the top of the windshield for a better view of the road and scenery.

Cons: Requires patience to get it just right. - Adjustments are tricky.

Some people go with both. A large windshield and the Madstad brackets. I personally don't see the logic or need for this but to each his own.

Once you address the windshield on a GS/RS you then need to address the wind coming from the sides. The RT and now the ST both have effective side deflectors and a wide cowl, the RS has a narrow cowl and no side deflectors. If you add the BRP or aftermarket side deflectors you will see a marked improvement in wind protection.

Kratos
10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
When it comes to windshields you have to make a choice.

Option 1: Use brute force. You stop the wind using a large physical barrier i.e. a tall/wide windshield. This will work, although for someone of your height the windshield will need to be very high.

Pros: Good wind protection.
Cons: Ugly on an GS/RS. - You will always need to look through the windshield. - Impacts gas mileage.

Option 2: Use aerodynamics. This is a bit trickier, you deflect the wind by diverting it around and over you. This is the idea behind the Madstad system. You can use a much smaller windshield and mount it in such a way as to create an airflow where you sit comfortably in the dead spot. This actually works quite well and is why the Madstad windshields are so popular. You have to use trial and error to adjust the windshield just right. Once you find the sweet spot you lock it in and you're done.

Pros: Good wind protection. - You don't need a large windshield. - Less impact on gas mileage. - Looks better (subjective). - You look over the top of the windshield for a better view of the road and scenery.

Cons: Requires patience to get it just right. - Adjustments are tricky.

Some people go with both. A large windshield and the Madstad brackets. I personally don't see the logic or need for this but to each his own.

Once you address the windshield on a GS/RS you then need to address the wind coming from the sides. The RT and now the ST both have effective side deflectors and a wide cowl, the RS has a narrow cowl and no side deflectors. If you add the BRP or aftermarket side deflectors you will see a marked improvement in wind protection.

The only problem with the deflectors is the exhaust fumes trapped around you. They say some bikes don't have the problem, but most do. I wonder if I could be one of the few without the issue...?

pro10is
10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
The only problem with the deflectors is the exhaust fumes trapped around you. They say some bikes don't have the problem, but most do. I wonder if I could be one of the few without the issue...?

The exhaust fume issue does exist but it's not that bad. You may get some exhaust smell when stopped but it dissipates quickly when in motion. Exhaust smells are common in motorcycling since you're often sitting right next to the muffler. The Spyder exhaust is cleaner than most and the small exposure does not constitute any appreciable health concern. It's simply a manageable nuisance.

major911
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM
All and all if Knight and I don't do anything else and we settle for this 23" the way it is, it would benefit the winter season and work for us, and I'm sure I'll get use to the little head buffeting we have. It's definitely about 60% less than the buffeting I got from the Cal Sci. If the guy who has my cal sci likes that shield, this will be a good trade. If the cal sci doesn't work for him, apart of me thinks that I might try out the 25" Ultra to see if I'm actually wrong on the head buffeting theory.

I'm glad to hear that shield is working better for you. The Cal Sci works perfect for me. I couldn't have asked for a better fit. According to Cal Sci website table I should have a med shield based on my height however that would not have worked at all. The XL is just the right height to direct the airflow over my head with little to no buffeting at all and no turbulence behind the shield. I'm looking right over the top of the shield instead of thru it so it's just what I was looking for. I think this worked out good for both of us. :thumbup:

Kratos
10-10-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm glad to hear that shield is working better for you. The Cal Sci works perfect for me. I couldn't have asked for a better fit. According to Cal Sci website table I should have a med shield based on my height however that would not have worked at all. The XL is just the right height to direct the airflow over my head with little to no buffeting at all and no turbulence behind the shield. I'm looking right over the top of the shield instead of thru it so it's just what I was looking for. I think this worked out good for both of us. :thumbup:

Yep, good trade. :thumbup: