PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices in California

ARtraveler
10-06-2012, 03:56 PM
A little weekend controversy for all.

As I have stated a few times previous--here is another example of the petroleum people taking advantage of the general public and gouging people for what the market will bear.

You have all seen the news in the last couple of days. Refineries down in CA, they have to blend special gas because of mandated state laws, have to switch over to winter blend also.

Problems have caused the supply to dry up. Gas stations were charging as high as $5.69 a gallon the last news report I saw. Some stations were closed due to no supply whatsoever.

The stations left were selling at what the market will bear--and I am sure it has nothing to do with profit margins. One news clip said gas went up .30 cents a gallon overnight--bet its even higher today.

Some may argue supply/demand but it seems more like gouging to me.

I feel very sad for the people who are being taken advantage of.

spyder3
10-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Sound like gouging at the service station level. If you have gas in the ground before the "shortage " hits...ching ching time.

bruiser
10-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Saw a segment on national news this morning about that. One station owner ran out and paid $10,000.00 yep, that's ten thousand dollars more for a load of gas. Another dealer ran out and said he wasn't going to by anymore until the prices came down. The reason given for this increase was that one refinery is still down from a fire and another refinery had a power outage. This coupled with Californias insane laws concerning gasoline has driven the price way above what is reasonable. Yes, gouging is the word.

Jeriatric
10-06-2012, 04:27 PM
A little weekend controversy for all.

As I have stated a few times previous--here is another example of the petroleum people taking advantage of the general public and gouging people for what the market will bear.

You have all seen the news in the last couple of days. Refineries down in CA, they have to blend special gas because of mandated state laws, have to switch over to winter blend also.

Problems have caused the supply to dry up. Gas stations were charging as high as $5.69 a gallon the last news report I saw. Some stations were closed due to no supply whatsoever.

The stations left were selling at what the market will bear--and I am sure it has nothing to do with profit margins. One news clip said gas went up .30 cents a gallon overnight--bet its even higher today.

Some may argue supply/demand but it seems more like gouging to me.

I feel very sad for the people who are being taken advantage of.

Took the Spyder to filler up after hearing this on the news. Some stations were -out of gas- pumps roped off with yellow tape. Ended up finding a Chevron that was still pumping, and 91 was going fast at 4.95 a gal. Don't think I'll be taking any extended trips until this gets sorted out. While the prices are crazy, that's not the concern. Finding gas could be. Not good. nojoke

bruiser
10-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Saw a segment on national news this morning about that. One station owner ran out and paid $10,000.00 yep, that's ten thousand dollars MORE for a load of gas. Another dealer ran out and said he wasn't going to by anymore until the prices came down. The reason given for this increase was that one refinery is still down from a fire and another refinery had a power outage. This coupled with Californias insane laws concerning gasoline has driven the price way above what is reasonable. Yes, gouging is the word.

bruiser
10-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Oooops, shakey finger.

Jeriatric
10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Saw a segment on national news this morning about that. One station owner ran out and paid $10,000.00 yep, that's ten thousand dollars MORE for a load of gas. Another dealer ran out and said he wasn't going to by anymore until the prices came down. The reason given for this increase was that one refinery is still down from a fire and another refinery had a power outage. This coupled with Californias insane laws concerning gasoline has driven the price way above what is reasonable. Yes, gouging is the word.

They have been sticking it to us for so long we've become used to it. Almost!

Bob Denman
10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
There ought to be a way that folks could just get a message to the oil barons; maybe a boycott on some specified date.. :dontknow:
...We paid $455.9 per gallon yesterday for 93 octane. That's WITHOUT any contrived shortages! :gaah:

Daisyjoe
10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes: Almost $5.00 per gallon I paid $3.43/gal. near Savannah, Georgia today. Paid $3.42 in Townsend, TN last weekend.

Trickie Dick
10-06-2012, 08:02 PM
This is a prime example of one of the major reasons for gas prices. LACK of refinery capacity. How long has it been since a major new refinery has been built in the U.S. Thank you EPA.

bruiser
10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I believe 1968 but not sure.

Trickie Dick
10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
I believe 1968 but not sure.

Think we got a few more cars and trucks since then:yikes:

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 09:21 AM
When was the last refinery built in the United States?The "newest" refinery in the United States began operating in 2008 in Douglas, Wyoming. However, the newest significant (or sophisticated) refinery began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana.

The newest refineries currently operating in the United States are as follows:
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=29&t=9

Questions
10-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Gas prices are a joke everywhere. Here in Canada we are the 2nd largest supplier of gas in the world and we have enough gas already out of the ground to last another 80 years. Think we'll be still using gas in 80 years ? In the middle east gas is like .50 a litre, mind u there bottled water is like gold though...lol

Thanks

SpyderAnn01
10-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I keep expecting the prices here in Las Vegas to surge just because of what our neighbors in CA are experiencing but so far we are around $3.79 for regular.

Rayelljay
10-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Saw a program on this a wee while ago and the producers came to the conclusion that there is/was no gas shortage....the majority of refined gasoline was going for "export" where the oil companies could make even more profits.

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Why does that not surprise me? :gaah:

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Heard all the same excuses and posturing back when ENRON was making living in California miserable.

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGiX5tbLKiY

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
And then................it rained ;)

d.o.spyder-rts
10-08-2012, 01:20 AM
...We paid $455.9 per gallon yesterday for 93 octane. That's WITHOUT any contrived shortages! :gaah:[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob, I think you're missing a decimal point or gas is real expensive in NY @ $455.9 per gallon. :D Dale

Trickie Dick
10-08-2012, 07:44 AM
...We paid $455.9 per gallon yesterday for 93 octane. That's WITHOUT any contrived shortages! :gaah:

Hey Bob, I think you're missing a decimal point or gas is real expensive in NY @ $455.9 per gallon. :D Dale[/QUOTE]

Bob gets in a hurry sometime. 'gotta do another post, gotta do another post'.....:roflblack:

Recluze
10-08-2012, 09:39 AM
This is a pic that is making the rounds here in Kalifornia-soon to be in a neighborhood near you.

I am not sure how I feel about the entire thing but 1) what gets pumped these days in Kalifornia can hardly be called gasoline 2) Gas is still the cheapest and most densest form of energy we have for our vehicles 3) I am lucky in that I don't have to buy it unless I want to and 4) I suspect that it would have to reach $8 before there is any noticeable change in driving habits or any serious work done on alternate energy sources.

And I am not any happier about this contrived price gouging then anyone but when you turn over all decision making to the government you are going to get a lot more of this.

boborgera
10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I guess a lot of the Hollywood stars [phonies] have to walk to the fund raiser party's, What with the price
of gas in California now days.:dontknow:

Jeriatric
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I guess a lot of the Hollywood stars [phonies] have to walk to the fund raiser party's, What with the price
of gas in California now days.:dontknow:

Paid 4.95 for premium - Saturday in La Quinta. The highest price listed in California today is Vidal Junction on highway 95 out by the Colorado River - regular is selling for 5.69

Bob Denman
10-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Hey Bob, I think you're missing a decimal point or gas is real expensive in NY @ $455.9 per gallon. :D Dale[/QUOTE]

:shocked: No WONDER I got so ticked off about it! :roflblack:

Recluze
10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Paid 4.95 for premium - Saturday in La Quinta. The highest price listed in California today is Vidal Junction on highway 95 out by the Colorado River - regular is selling for 5.69

Some time in 2008 I paid $5.75 per gallon at the entrance to Death Valley. It was not like I could shop around. To this day that remains my personal best.

Jeriatric
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Big Sur on Highway 1, Northern Ca. 5.80 Highest price so far today - reported by MSN "gas prices".

Jeriatric
10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
SHOSHONE, CA (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#topOfMap) $5.89.9 regular unleaded :yikes:

BajaRon
10-10-2012, 09:21 PM
SHOSHONE, CA (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#topOfMap) $5.89.9 regular unleaded :yikes:

I think it's called 'Redistributing the wealth'. Seems to be pretty popular these days.

Jeriatric
10-11-2012, 05:35 AM
DEATH VALLEY, CA (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#topOfMap) $6.42.9 yowzer?

Bob Denman
10-11-2012, 07:12 AM
But it's Death Valley... :shocked:
If it was $20 bucks a gallon and you were getting low; you'd "gladly" pay it! :gaah:

boborgera
10-11-2012, 08:00 AM
But it's Death Valley... :shocked:
If it was $20 bucks a gallon and you were getting low; you'd "gladly" pay it! :gaah:

Not Gladly, The key word is' ''HAVETO''

Bob Denman
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
That's why I put it inside the quotation marks. :thumbup: :roflblack: :shocked:

boborgera
10-11-2012, 12:38 PM
That's why I put it inside the quotation marks. :thumbup: :roflblack: :shocked:

Aha, you should have added one of these. '':rolleyes:''
:thumbup:
:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Live and learn Brother; live and learn... ;)