PDA

View Full Version : Best engine RPM for fuel mileage?

Ride Master
10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
driving in town usually in 4th gear, highways in 5th gear. What engine RPM produces the best fuel economy?

2012 RT Limited White

Elka Stage 5 Front Shocks, Elka Stage 4 plus Hyd Rear Shock, Corbin Seat with Back Rests, CB Com System, Entertainment Harness, Cell Phone Interface Kit, 3M Audio Player Integration Cable, Chrome Foot Peg Support Castings, Chrome Brake Pedal, Chrome Passenger Pegs, Seal Floor boards PUP DLX Chrome, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner, California Scientific Windshield, ISCI Accessory Mount kit with 2 Ram Balls, Ram Cup Holder on left Handlebar ram ball, GloRyders White, Custom Dynamics LED Front Mudflap replacement Kit, Custom Dynamics Amber Dual Brighsides, Custom Dynamics Red Dual Brightsides, Street Magic Genesis LED HMT Brake LIght, Street Magic Front Fender

CyncySpyder
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
This is a tricky subject, cause if you have an SE5 equipped Spyder and continue shifting at too low of an RPM (sub 4000) you can burn up your centrifugal clutch, as has been reported by a few owners on here. I personally wouldn't recommend shifting under 4000 & the power band on the RT doesn't really come on til around 5000 RPMs. Preventing "jack rabbit" starts & smooth throttle roll on, along with reducing unneeded weight & keeping the shield lowered as much as possible for comfort to reduce drag are some other tips that will help increase fuel economy as well;)

Ride Master
10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
The best RPM for fuel economy is 0

I apologise, I know it is a serious and interesting question, but I couldn't resist.

lol

didn't see that coming, good one

Ride Master
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
This is a tricky subject, cause if you have an SE5 equipped Spyder and continue shifting at too low of an RPM (sub 4000) you can burn up your centrifugal clutch, as has been reported by a few owners on here. I personally wouldn't recommend shifting under 4000 & the power band on the RT doesn't really come on til around 5000 RPMs. Preventing "jack rabbit" starts & smooth throttle roll on, along with reducing unneeded weight & keeping the shield lowered as much as possible for comfort to reduce drag are some other tips that will help increase fuel economy as well;)

2012 RT Limited White

Elka Stage 5 Front Shocks, Elka Stage 4 plus Hyd Rear Shock, Corbin Seat with Back Rests, CB Com System, Entertainment Harness, Cell Phone Interface Kit, 3M Audio Player Integration Cable, Chrome Foot Peg Support Castings, Chrome Brake Pedal, Chrome Passenger Pegs, Seal Floor boards PUP DLX Chrome, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner, California Scientific Windshield, ISCI Accessory Mount kit with 2 Ram Balls, Ram Cup Holder on left Handlebar ram ball, GloRyders White, Custom Dynamics LED Front Mudflap replacement Kit, Custom Dynamics Amber Dual Brighsides, Custom Dynamics Red Dual Brightsides, Street Magic Genesis LED HMT Brake LIght, Street Magic Front Fender tips

Bob Denman
10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
:dontknow:
What I'd suggest is that you set up a test... :yikes:
Pick a highway nearby that will allow you to pick a destination about 60 miles away...
Pick a speed; let's say 60mph...
Ride to your destination and back:
Once in 5th,
Once in 4th,
Once in 3rd.
3 tanks of fuel should tell you what you need to know! :thumbup:

Ride Master
10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
:dontknow:
What I'd suggest is that you set up a test... :yikes:
Pick a highway nearby that will allow you to pick a destination about 60 miles away...
Pick a speed; let's say 60mph...
Ride to your destination and back:
Once in 5th,
Once in 4th,
Once in 3rd.
3 tanks of fuel should tell you what you need to know! :thumbup:

So, when will you have this test completed Bobby?

Bob Denman
10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
My bike's in the shop... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif :gaah:

Bob Denman
10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm finally getting the throttle position sensor issue fixed. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_13.gif Multiple error codes have been hampering the fun.
They're also gonna fix the IPod harness and change out my Spark Plug wires... :thumbup:
(I've been sitting on a set of BajaRon's best for too long...)

Ride Master
10-06-2012, 03:21 PM
My bike's in the shop... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif :gaah:

So, when you get it back then?

Bob Denman
10-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't have quick and easy access to a highway where I can just set the cruise and let the bike do its thing.
There'd be too many variables left in the mix to make any test done up here worthwhile...

NancysToy
10-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Fuel mileage is more related to the speed you are traveling, how quick and far you turn the throttle, the local fuel supply and seasonal formulation, and the windshield position than the rpm. Given that, the lowest rpm, while remaining above about 4,000, the more likely you are to have better mileage. The differences are small, however. There is a far larger improvement riding 55 instead of 75, than by staying in a higher gear.

Arr MiHardies
10-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Did 70 miles today with my cruise set at 52 mph. Kept it in 4th gear right at 5000 rpm. Filled up. Only put in 1.8 gallons. For a personal best tank of 38.1 mpg

ARtraveler
10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Similar experience to Arr: riding the Chickaloon Hills section of Glenn Highway--lots of up/downs and tight twisties--keeping it in 2nd or third gear--35 mph average--4000-4500 rpms--37 mpg.

SPYD3R
10-06-2012, 08:30 PM
anything over 5000 rpm's really starts sucking up the petrol....

on the hi-way, 5000 rpm's gives me 60 mph... at that speed, i'm get'n approx. 35 mpg...

at 6000 rpm's, i'm @ 70 mph, and get about 30 mpg...

NancysToy
10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
anything over 5000 rpm's really starts sucking up the petrol....

on the hi-way, 5000 rpm's gives me 60 mph... at that speed, i'm get'n approx. 35 mpg...

at 6000 rpm's, i'm @ 70 mph, and get about 30 mpg...

It isn't the rpm, it's the wind resistance at speed. At 70 mph you use nearly twice the horsepower to overcome the wind resistance (drag) than you do at 50. If you ride 50 mph at 6000 rpm, you will get quite a bit better mileage than 6000 at 70 mph.

spyderman526
10-06-2012, 11:15 PM
ok i have a custom duel two brothers exhaust, juice box pro, elkas shocks, falken rear tire, now i ride hard most of the time !!! now when i behave lol my best tank has on 3 diffent times ben 41& 42 & 44 now the 44 was some very slow low rpm riding but i up shift at 5 to 5500 and i down shift at 4000 keeping speed to 65 mph and staying below 6000 rpm on the reg i get around 33 to 38 mpg and when iam not behaving 28 to 30

Ride Master
10-07-2012, 11:40 PM
It isn't the rpm, it's the wind resistance at speed. At 70 mph you use nearly twice the horsepower to overcome the wind resistance (drag) than you do at 50. If you ride 50 mph at 6000 rpm, you will get quite a bit better mileage than 6000 at 70 mph.

Silly, The question was about the best rpm for fuel economy.

docdoru
10-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Silly, The question was about the best rpm for fuel economy.
Cruise control. nojoke

SPYD3R
10-08-2012, 08:27 AM

sorry, but you are incorrect... as was i... i was 500 rpm's too high in my statement...
think about what you said... 6000 rpm's @ 50 vs. 6000 @ 70... irregardless of wind resistance, it's a physical impossibility to turn the same rpm @ differing speeds (useless you are talking using a higher/lower gear)... look at it as 'gears' turning on each other... you can not spin one faster than the other... it's physics... wind resistance is a factor in the amount of energy, ie; fuel, used to over-come that force, but the rpm's required to propel your vehicle to a particular speed is a 'given'... all based on which gear you are in at that speed...

CyncySpyder
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM
ok i have a custom duel two brothers exhaust, juice box pro, elkas shocks, falken rear tire, now i ride hard most of the time !!! now when i behave lol my best tank has on 3 diffent times ben 41& 42 & 44 now the 44 was some very slow low rpm riding but i up shift at 5 to 5500 and i down shift at 4000 keeping speed to 65 mph and staying below 6000 rpm on the reg i get around 33 to 38 mpg and when iam not behaving 28 to 30

Hey spyderman526, its nice that you listed all of your mods here, but you left out the most important part of the equation, at least for helping the OP.

Not knowing any better and looking at your post, I'd be thinking why the hell is that guy getting in the 40s while I'm stuck only getting in the 20s to low 30s:shocked::dontknow:

But I know better, so I thought I'd help clue in maybe some newer members that wouldn't know, and let them know that you most probably have an RS Spyder and NOT an RT Spyder like the OP does. There's a big difference betweeen the 2:lecturef_smilie:

So it would be helpful for all, while listing your mods, to go ahead and tell us what model of Spyder those mods are on, and its also helpful to know if its an SE5 or Manual, and this info is going to be even more important on this forum as the New 2013 STs start having posts.IMHO

Bootie
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM
sorry, but you are incorrect... as was i... i was 500 rpm's too high in my statement...
think about what you said... 6000 rpm's @ 50 vs. 6000 @ 70... irregardless of wind resistance, it's a physical impossibility to turn the same rpm @ differing speeds (useless you are talking using a higher/lower gear)... look at it as 'gears' turning on each other... you can not spin one faster than the other... it's physics... wind resistance is a factor in the amount of energy, ie; fuel, used to over-come that force, but the rpm's required to propel your vehicle to a particular speed is a 'given'... all based on which gear you are in at that speed...
You are absolutely correct but I agree with Scotty:agree: I'm rather certain that he understood that you must change gears to get differing speeds with the same RPM. Wind resistance (drag) makes just about all the difference since drag increases with the square of velocity. 50mph is much more efficient than 70mph no matter the RPM. Also, irregardless is not a real word. You have two negatives (ir + regardless) which would give you the opposite of regardless (what ever that is):roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
A more salient point might be to simply slow down if you want to use less fuel...

boborgera
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
A more salient point might be to simply slow down if you want to use less fuel...

Na, Old Wives tail,
Some times you have to drive Fast, So you can get home before you run out of Gas. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-08-2012, 11:46 AM
You can coast farther if you have a better run at it; right? :thumbup:

boborgera
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Absolutely, The last time i ran out of gas i coasted about a mile to my driveway.:thumbup:

Truth in advertising;; It was down hill, But the driveway was uphill.

budsspuds
10-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I get 30 mpg plus or minus 1 mpg no matter the RPM's , it is all good better than the 15-17 mpg I get with the truck :sour:

Bob Denman
10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree with that! :firstplace:
With the proper perspective; anything can be made to seem more reasonable! :thumbup:

Ride Master
10-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Yeah, but what engine rpm?

boborgera
10-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, but what engine rpm?

Zero, Clutch pulled in and or in Neutral.
Run out of gas and leave it in gear, Maybe you'll go 15 feet.

NancysToy
10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Naturally I assumed that you would understand that you have to change gears to go the same speed at different rpm. I guess I have to explain in more detail. If you didn't expect to change gears, why did you ask the question? The question without changing gears would have been "What is the best speed for fuel mileage?"

Bob Denman
10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
...and THAT quest might want to start at the lowest speed that will support getting the clutches fully-engaged in top gear??? :dontknow:

Motogordo
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
The best RPM for fuel economy is 0

I apologise, I know it is a serious and interesting question, but I couldn't resist.

10/12/12

It is spelled apologize........ :yes:

Motogordo
10-12-2012, 04:51 PM
10/12/12

It is spelled apologize........ :yes:

I found that when I had my 2011 RTS/SE5, I would change gears around 3100 rpms and back off the throttle each time. It was smooth as silk and I was averaging 35 mpg with premium gas.

Motogordo

Arr MiHardies
10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I found that when I had my 2011 RTS/SE5, I would change gears around 3100 rpms and back off the throttle each time. It was smooth as silk and I was averaging 35 mpg with premium gas.

Motogordo

That would be lugging the engine if you are keeping it under 3100... The Spyder is happiest around 5000

effgjamis
10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I have overcome the Wind issue. :yikes: when bucking the wind I turn on my back seat mounted attic fan, and when going with the wind I run the fan in reverse...

and if you believe the above I have another fix.:roflblack:

Tin Man
10-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I like to run my spyder in the 5000 rpm range. Seems to give me the best fuel milage in this range and performance feels the best in this range.

Bob Denman
10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Cast my vote for the 4000 rpm range... :thumbup:

napper39
10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
my way, after you hit second,dont shift tell your above 4000 rpm,and dont ride over 70 mph at any time,then you will get the best mpg,and use 93 octane gas,:chat:

Knarfoh
10-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Posts like this are sprinkled throughout... To be honest, I gave up trying to follow all the tips.... I figure I will get the mileage I get based upon how my 2012 RT-S SM5 is designed. I am not interested in particularly driving slower then I normally would, but I am not a speed demon by nature.

The only tip I try to follow is when to shift, not for gas mileage, but shifting at speeds/rpm that makes for the most smooth transition between gears. Very rarely do I get above 4th gear in the city.

Chart of my gas mileage below. Click for image.

http://www.knarfoh.com/images/spyder_mileage.png

Bob Denman
10-13-2012, 03:42 PM
If fuel economy is the big issue; why not ride some little scooter no-ped that gets about a jillion miles to the gallon... :roflblack:

lascar
10-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi,
When I'm on the hight way I dont go up than 5000 rpm and my windscreen is at the lower position .On the others roads I dont go too much on rpm ,go slowly and look at the landscape and like that my consumption is near 7,5 liters for 100 km !!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Master
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
If fuel economy is the big issue; why not ride some little scooter no-ped that gets about a jillion miles to the gallon... :roflblack:

Good One, or, walk?

The only time I worry about fuel economy is when the tank is on empty and I don't see a gas station. Once I hit empty, which means I have 1-2 gallons left, I throttle back and try to hit a sweet spot, whatever that is, which was the purpose of the initial question.

I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 4000 and 5000 rpm but, on the highway traveling at 80 miles per hour to keep up with traffic, all bets are off. At lower speed and a choice of 5000 rpm in 4th gear or 4000 rpm in 5th gear the question is submitted for your comments