PDA

View Full Version : throttle issues

strictlyred
10-04-2012, 09:26 PM
has anyone heard of throttle issues with the older semi automatic rs?

Dizneyman
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
A little more detail on what the issue is?...

strictlyred
10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I am not totally understanding myself.
someone I know was in a horrible accident with her 2010 rs.i was told that she couldn't turn thottle off . screamed she can't get bike to stop.
The bike is being investigated .lawyers are involved ..seems they think this isn't a one time thing to happen.
Now fellow riders are asking me to have my bike checked out cause of the throttle issues.
I havent heard about any throttle issues but was told it was hushed hushed by can am people ..
Not getting a clear picture.hope to get more info..

pro10is
10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
That can happen to any motorcycle that uses a cable for throttle control. It's conceivable a cable could bind and stick. But problems such as that are what emergency shut off switches are for.

Certainly this is not been a problem on the GS/RS or else we would have heard of more instances of it.

ARtraveler
10-05-2012, 12:32 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Emergency shut off should have worked if the :ani29: had to be shut down due to a stuck throttle.

I believe this may be the first occurance that I remember being posted.

Ga Blue Knight
10-05-2012, 04:30 AM
As said earlier cables can stick but the kill switch should be almost foolproof if you actually hit it. I have heard of folks in a panic situation hitting the wrong side of the kill switch and trying to turn the already running bike on instead of off. That's why we all need to practice turning off the bike with the kill switch and not the key to help build muscle memory for hose rare panic moments.

CyncySpyder
10-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Toward the top right hand side of every page, there's a white rectangular box with a little magnifying glass icon next to it, thats the general search feature, or you can click on the "Advanced Search" option below it to get taken to another screen that gives you many more search options. Doing so, I typed in "throttle stuck" and came up with these threads that have been posted in the past, all containing those words and helping to shed some light on your query.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?13189-throttle-getting-stuck&highlight=throttle+stuck

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?11793-Warning-bike-goes-into-auto-pilet-and-accellerates-itself&highlight=throttle+stuck

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?11021-Throttle-Stuck&highlight=throttle+stuck

The 3 above posted links are just a small sampling from dozens that discuss the issue, but as with most things, you'll still need to read thru and figure things out.
Hope this helps

NancysToy
10-05-2012, 08:04 AM
The RS has a cable throttle, not the fly-by-wire throttle of the RT, so it is a whole different set of circumstances. The incident you cited was the only one of its kind I have heard of, and the throttle being the actual cause has not been substantiated. Everything made by man can fail, but the chances of this happening to you are very slim. You take much more chance of having something awful happen when you ride in traffic every day. Only you can decide how much risk you want to assume, but if you are worried about this, perhaps you shouldn't be riding at all. I'm not trying to be snotty or mean, just putting things into perspective. It is highly unlikely to ever happen to you!

Jeriatric
10-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I am not totally understanding myself.
someone I know was in a horrible accident with her 2010 rs.i was told that she couldn't turn thottle off . screamed she can't get bike to stop.
The bike is being investigated .lawyers are involved ..seems they think this isn't a one time thing to happen.
Now fellow riders are asking me to have my bike checked out cause of the throttle issues.
I havent heard about any throttle issues but was told it was hushed hushed by can am people ..
Not getting a clear picture.hope to get more info..

As has been said. It's a mechanical throttle so it's not inconceivable that it could happen. That said checking it is part of the maintenance schedule. Do you know who was doing maintenance and or if the maintenance schedule was being followed?

One last thing - I highly recommend that folks use the kill switch to shut their Spyder's down EVERY TIME, then turn the key off.

Then, if an emergency such as this presents itself you'll likely instinctively know what to do.

boborgera
10-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Maybe a floor mat got stuck under the throttle.:roflblack::shemademe_smilie:
[was i just thinking that ,or did i just type it?]

NancysToy
10-05-2012, 08:47 AM
.....One last thing - I highly recommend that folks use the kill switch to shut their Spyder's down EVERY TIME, then turn the key off.

Then, if an emergency such as this presents itself you'll likely instinctively know what to do.

:agree::agree::agree: Amen, brother, amen!

Bob Denman
10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I thought for sure that she was on an RT... But my memory ain't what it should be! :opps:

People also do some pretty funky things under duress. I'm not blaming her for the accident; I'm just saying that we don't yet have all of the facts, and there are a lot of ways that this one could end up...

NancysToy
10-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I thought for sure that she was on an RT... But my memory ain't what it should be! :opps:

People also do some pretty funky things under duress. I'm not blaming her for the accident; I'm just saying that we don't yet have all of the facts, and there are a lot of ways that this one could end up...
She was, as far as I know.

Bob Denman
10-05-2012, 09:01 AM
:shocked: Now if I could remember what I'm supposed to be doing here at work today! :roflblack:

Chupaca
02-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Single cable throttle systems were more apt to fail one reason many/most have gone to the double cable..push-pull. too many times its a panic situation sudden forward motion cause driver to fall back rolling the throttle back making it hard to ease off. Have to wait and see. Sadly the word accident has disappeared from the American language...:sour:

Bob Denman
02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
So where are we on this one? Did any further information come to light?? :dontknow:

Silvervette05
02-16-2013, 08:40 PM
As said earlier cables can stick but the kill switch should be almost foolproof if you actually hit it. I have heard of folks in a panic situation hitting the wrong side of the kill switch and trying to turn the already running bike on instead of off. That's why we all need to practice turning off the bike with the kill switch and not the key to help build muscle memory for hose rare panic moments.

:agree: