PDA

View Full Version : To extend or not to extend?

MouthPiece
10-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I bought my first RT-S Limited Spyder, January, 2010. I opted for a three year extended warranty. I had just moved into the extended warranty period when, as most of you know, I had my accident and my spyder was totalled.

I have ordered a 2013 RT-S and await delivery sometime late December or January. I'm wondering now whether it is wise to even purchase an extended warranty given the fact that I probably will purchase a new spyder in two years anyways.

Is there something I'm missing? Perhaps purchasing a one year extended?

Chris

ARtraveler
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Hard decision. It's like, should I go with no deductible, $500, or $2000. Its all a crap shoot. Extended warranties are a gamble. If you can afford the consequences without the warranty--save the money until its needed. If a big repair bill is scarry, then I would go with the extended warranty program.

Bob Denman
10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
:agree: Piece of mind is always worth a pretty fair amount... :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-04-2012, 05:17 PM
It should help the resale value, and if you need road service coverage, it is included. Just a couple of other considerations to help confuse you further. Don't ya just feel like your brain is gonna explode sometimes? ;)

cjackg
10-04-2012, 05:17 PM
If you extend for just one year, you will get the Road Service benefit for the entire warranty period, and you can still add additional 1 or 2 years of extended coverage later. I did this when I bought a used 2010 that was my first spyder. By doing this, any subsequent owner also has the same option making your spyder more attractive for future trade-in or sale.

granpa in Cincy
10-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Wait until your 2 yr is almost up. If you are going to trade, skip it. It you are going to keep it, buy it. You may find terms are better in you wait . Then again, maybe not. You do know that the 75$/yr has been done away with don't you? Maybe not. Not widely promulgated. Some dealers don't know it either. Hummmm!

Farmboy
10-05-2012, 04:57 AM
What is the cost for extended warranty? My 2 years will be up this June.

granpa in Cincy
10-05-2012, 05:50 AM

It varies widely. Shop wisely. 749 - 1500 for 3 years extension.

MouthPiece
10-05-2012, 05:51 AM

Here in Flarda, which does not offer BEST but instead RPM One, they quoted me $850.00 for a three year extended warranty.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Paula(Butch2025)
10-05-2012, 06:14 AM
I that having or not having the extended warranty was a factor when I was shopping for my Spyder. Especially when it was a '08 or '09 model. The Spyder closest to me did not have an extended warranty and in the end I didn't buy it - luckily our dealer gave me a really good deal a new model. So since you are thinking of selling, I would say it could be a deal breaker.
--Paula

Bob Denman
10-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Question: Is it possible to buy a warranty if you have let your original two year one uhhhh... expire? :opps:

MouthPiece
10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Question: Is it possible to buy a warranty if you have let your original two year one uhhhh... expire? :opps:

Great question. I dunno.

Chris

cjackg
10-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Here in Flarda, which does not offer BEST but instead RPM One, they quoted me $850.00 for a three year extended warranty.

Hope this helps.

Chris
You should be able to buy the BEST exended warranty from a dealer in another state after you take delivery. I believe Burt's Mega Mall (sponsor) always offers a great price but other dealers have been known to match it to compete.

I would get at least the 1 year of BEST but would not buy any other aftermarket warranty.

granpa in Cincy
10-05-2012, 07:39 AM

NO.

spyderrock
10-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Bob where I live here in Alberta Canada YES you can buy extended warranty if your original warranty runs out..BUT..you will pay dearly. Im not sure why this is put they will charge quite a lot for a new warranty. If you are willing to pay and you think its worth it you can pretty much by warranty on anything. Extended warranties are always a good tool when and if you ever sell the Spyder. I know you live south of the border check it out you never know what they will say.

WackyDan
10-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Scotty is right and it is the same logic I used when extending...

Price the towing packages from AAA or other auto clubs/services and you will find that you break even over the length of the warranty...

Now... I know you said a new one in two years, but sometimes life changes that plan...but if not, the transferable warranty will make the used buyer feel better with the purchase.

d.o.spyder-rts
10-06-2012, 12:43 AM

Hope this helps.

Chris
I purchased the 3 yr standard BEST warranty from Berts Mega-Mall, but I made sure the dealer accepted BEST first. Dale

rc51ny
10-06-2012, 04:28 AM
I'm having the same questions about buying the extended. But since my Spyder is only 6 months old, I think I might wait a bit then make the decision before the 2 years are up.

IWN2RYD
10-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Here is a twist..........

My wife and I will NOT buy a used Spyder that does not have the extended warranty on it, or qualify for the B.E.S.T. at the time of purchase. My advice. If you know for a fact that you will buy a new bike every two years. Then buy one year. Then the new owner can look into extending the extra two years or not. But at least the "Value" of a bike with a warranty on it is still there...

:thumbup: