PDA

View Full Version : do I get a exhaust for the new st

Jimmy Neutron
10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Just waiting for my new St Limited to arrive.. Wondering if I should put a louder exhaust on.. One of reasons I ordered new one is I wanted to listen to tunes,, But I gotta tell you Everytime I hear a Harley with pipes it makes me wonder?I am use to my Spyder so my question is when you are riding does that loud exhaust get too loud.. Dont want to have one installed if dont like it then Im screwed.. Any feed back from you guys would be great..

Bob Denman
10-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Get the bike first... Enjoy the bike second...
Think about modifications only after the first and second steps are well under way! :2thumbs:

Kratos
10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I love the HMF. I too was worried about volume. But it doesn't bother me at all. I love listening to it rumble, and after months of riding, I have not gotten tired of it at all. In fact, it's the thing I look forward to the most when I get on her. :thumbup:

Spy+
10-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I have to agree with Kratos. I have a Hindle in my RS, and I ride with friends with HMF and others with the dual 2Bros.. I have to say that the HMF sounds best of all.. I'm buying an HMF

ARtraveler
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree with what Bob D. said. You may end up liking the exhaust note on the ST just the way it is.

Kratos
10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I have to agree with Kratos. I have a Hindle in my RS, and I ride with friends with HMF and others with the dual 2Bros.. I have to say that the HMF sounds best of all.. I'm buying an HMF

The 2bros guys don't believe me when I tell them the HMF is the bomb diggity. Just crazy how 200 bucks sounds better (in my opinion) than the 700 dollar duels. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I agree with what Bob D. said. You may end up liking the exhaust note on the ST just the way it is.

Do you think that these young guys will listen to us Olpharts?? :D

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2012, 02:36 PM
You really need to hear what the stock pipe sounds like before you spend on money on something that you may not need. Patience Mr. Neutron there will be plenty of time for you to spend your money after you get the Spyder.

ARtraveler
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Bob D.: Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Most don't consider us "older and wiser"--just "senile". We get the last laugh though--because we are always right. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
But according to "Sonny-Boy"; I haven't started getting any smarter yet...
The little :cus: still thinks that he knows everything! :gaah:

Lamonster
10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
There are two versions of the exhaust offered now, one is for touring and the other has a bite. Both are under 80db.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/391731_448695341840409_805667871_n.jpg

Kratos
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Hmmm.....good post Lamont. The OP maybe needs to hear them.

Jimmy Neutron
10-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Hmmm.....good post Lamont. The OP maybe needs to hear them.

Well I guess I will have to wait in hear but that touring one sounds pretty good

flaggerphil
10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Get the bike first... Enjoy the bike second...
Think about modifications only after the first and second steps are well under way! :2thumbs:

Absolutely.

Spy+
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Must have to hear that pipe.. looks vey nice :doorag:

Spydr in KS
10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
There are two versions of the exhaust offered now, one is for touring and the other has a bite. Both are under 80db.

Hmmm...didn't catch that on the build a Spyder web site. Thought they had made a mistake and listed the pipe twice!

Bob Denman
10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Not to blow my own horn... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_10_16.gif ...but I DID notice the two versions, and was wondering if they had somewhere you could go to catch an idea of the differences in how they sound...

This is a VERY rare event! :opps:

NancysToy
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Not to blow my own horn... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_10_16.gif ...but I DID notice the two versions, and was wondering if they had somewhere you could go to catch an idea of the differences in how they sound...

This is a VERY rare event! :opps:
How about if we wait until they actually show up in more than a catalog? This is the darndest group of cart-before-the-horse people I have ever met. Spyders, farkles, events...everybody is months ahead of the game and chomping at the bit.

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
How about if we wait until they actually show up in more than a catalog? This is the darndest group of cart-before-the-horse people I have ever met. Spyders, farkles, events...everybody is months ahead of the game and chomping at the bit.

They are just settling in for a long cold winter and are already waiting for the next riding season.

NancysToy
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
They are just settling in for a long cold winter and are already waiting for the next riding season.

:roflblack: Other than Seth, Butch & Paula, they're ahead of that, too.

arntufun
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
BRP's new pipe is $900.00 dollars and it's under 80db ??????????? :yikes: Whats the point ?????? nojoke

Jimmy, if your looking for a little rumble I recommend the HMF for under $300.00 and that will give you 106db of growl. I have it and love it. The only pipe that to me sounds better than the HMF is TB dual but, thats way more expensive. The HMF will provide the biggest bang for the buck from aftermarket exhausts. :thumbup:

Jimmy Neutron
11-14-2012, 01:35 PM
BRP's new pipe is $900.00 dollars and it's under 80db ??????????? :yikes: Whats the point ?????? nojoke

Jimmy, if your looking for a little rumble I recommend the HMF for under $300.00 and that will give you 106db of growl. I have it and love it. The only pipe that to me sounds better than the HMF is TB dual but, thats way more expensive. The HMF will provide the biggest bang for the buck from aftermarket exhausts. :thumbup:

When you put the HMF on do you need to add any chips or anything.. 300 sounds much better if I don't like it down the road..

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
So did you get your ST and put some miles on it yet? :shocked: :roflblack:

DrewNJ
11-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I hate the "jump on the bandwagon" type things, but I have to also agree about the HMF. I have one as does a good friend and they are super sweet!

Looks like the two biggest benefits to the new exhausts are appearance (the old stock pipe looks REALLY bad) and being lighter weight.

Jimmy Neutron
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
So did you get your ST and put some miles on it yet? :shocked: :roflblack:

Not yet Bob.. I haven't heard anything for last couple of weeks.. Did see post from Lamont about they started production on Monday.. He wasn't sure of mix so at this point I am Spyderless in Mansfield:(:popcorn::helpsmilie:

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 03:41 PM
"Spyderless in Mansfield"; was that a movie? :shocked: :joke:

Jimmy Neutron
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
"Spyderless in Mansfield"; was that a movie? :shocked: :joke:

Yes Bob it was.. It starred Ain't Meg Rydin and Hand Cranks..

wilfredopr
11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
The 2bros guys don't believe me when I tell them the HMF is the bomb diggity. Just crazy how 200 bucks sounds better (in my opinion) than the 700 dollar duels. :2thumbs:

I agree. I installed an aerocharger , it comes with it's own muffler, but I'm thinking about installing a HMF with the turbo.

JkRbbt
11-14-2012, 05:03 PM

Then I'm in the RIGHT place! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes Bob it was.. It starred Ain't Meg Rydin and Hand Cranks..

:yikes: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif

Raptor
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Bob, if it were me, I'd take delivery and put some miles on her first. You might just like it the way it is. Cans go on easily enough. But I agree with others, I think the HMF sounds pretty darned good. That'll most likely be the one I put on next.

Colin
11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
When will the ST models be available in the USA?, I'm sitting here in New Zealand wondering if we will see them before the end of 2013, and now have to read about you guys deciding on what farkles are required. :sour: Its a tough life living at the bottom of the world LOL.
I cant wait to see what farkles look best on these new machines.

Bob Denman
11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Have you taken a peek at the 2013 accessories catalog yet? :thumbup:

boomerkc
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
When I'm riding the Spyder, I can't tell what my exhaust really sounds like. When someone else rides my Spyder, then I get to really hear it. Suggestion, come to Spyderfest, listen to all the different exhausts there and select the one you like the sound of best.

Bob Denman
11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Very good point! :thumbup:
You can't hear anything useful from the saddle! :gaah:

mcaccamise
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Im not to impressed with the stock pipes looks or sound my money would be to put some miles on it and after the first service get some growl with a new pipe.

vmaxman
04-29-2013, 01:51 AM

I just ordered the ST, will the HMF fit this new 2013 model? Also, I own a Vmax and my buddies who ride with me say the Spyders sound like a sewing machine, so I will most definately want to get the LOUDEST after market exhaust for it!!! These same buddies say the Spyders cannot even do a burnout even if you wanted to? Can the SE semi auto tranny do a burnout? One took a test ride on Spyder with SE and put it in first gear held the brakes on and could hardly get the rear tire to spin, is this true? I know the Spyders are not sport bikes or in class with Vmax, Vrod or M109R, but it would be sad if they are that weak that they can't even do a simple burn out!!! Please tell me my buddies are wrong, and if so can the SE do a burn out?

Sny
04-29-2013, 09:05 PM
My GS (SE5) would burn out til I couldn't breathe anymore without much effort.

I haven't tried with my ST-S... but I suspect it won't be too much different? That electronic throttle does feel funny tho...