PDA

View Full Version : CHECK DPS fault

roadrunner_hs
10-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Has anyone had this fault and or had any issues with the steering because of it?

NancysToy
10-03-2012, 12:16 PM
There are a variety of reasons for the DPS warning. Some are not even directly a result of the DPS itself. We need a little more information on where you were riding/what you were doing at the time, when it happened, if it reset OK, and any mods made just prior to the problem. Then maybe we can explain better.

Mr. White
10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Yes, my steering sensor went out at 1,800 miles...an easy fix by the dealer, with the part in stock, but still 1/2 day lost in my life sitting at the dealership. (At 80 years old, 1/2 day means something to me!)

:spyder2:

roadrunner_hs
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
the check engine lite would come on, I would bump the starter and it would go out and stay out. no mods were done to the bike b4 this. now the fault comes on and stays on

NancysToy
10-03-2012, 09:11 PM
the check engine lite would come on, I would bump the starter and it would go out and stay out. no mods were done to the bike b4 this. now the fault comes on and stays on
First, the actual faults are not displayed on the screen unless you use the manual procedure to call up the fault codes. What you are describing are warnings and "idiot lights". You seem to be saying that you have a check engine light and a "Check DPS" warning. That would be the normal combination. If the DPS warning comes on immediately, it may have failed or the battery may be toast. You would need to provide the fault codes and some battery test results to diagnose it further. You might check the battery connections inside the bodywork (not the jumper terminals under the seat), and check the battery for a proper charge.

If yours is one of the 2008-2010 Spyders, the DPS should have been replaced under recall. If it was not, that would likely solve your problem if the DPS unit itself is at fault. You might also have a steering sensor that has failed. Your dealer should chase either of these issues.