PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing

pro10is
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
At around 5000-5500 RPM I get what appears to be a harmonic vibration on my 2011 RS-S. It's not a vibration that I feel but rather that I hear. It sounds like a slight but distinct mechanical buzzing. It occurs in all gears and happens all the time at that RPM range. Is this common? Does anyone else hear this? Any idea where it comes from? It has no apparent effect on performance but the buzzing is annoying. Is there any way to get rid of it?

boborgera
10-03-2012, 07:02 AM
At around 5000-5500 RPM I get what appears to be a harmonic vibration on my 2011 RS-S. It's not a vibration that I feel but rather that I hear. It sounds like a slight but distinct mechanical buzzing. It occurs in all gears and happens all the time at that RPM range. Is this common? Does anyone else hear this? Any idea where it comes from? It has no apparent effect on performance but the buzzing is annoying. Is there any way to get rid of it?

Belt harmonics, I could change where it came on by playing with the belt adjustments but never element it.
So i just tried to stay out of that RPM range for long periods of time. [08 GS Sm5]

mooneych
10-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I deal with the same issue. Stay out of the RPM range, or play with the belt tension.

...or get the "whatchamacallit" that rides on the belt. I believe its some kind of belt tensioner. :sour:

pro10is
10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't think it's the belt in my case because the sound appears to come from the engine area and it happens in all gears 1-5 at 5000-5500 RPM and that wouldn't correlate with belt speed. It has to be something engine related I'd think. Again the sound is a metallic buzzing such as like a spring might make when subject to vibration.

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Harmonic vibrations can be awful tough to track down... :shocked:
It might be worth taking a stab at the belt tension, if for no other reason than to eliminate it...

Recluze
10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
It almost likely is the belt tension. Once BRP loosened the belt tension my bikes started to have this problem. Get the belt tensioner from a site sponser on here. One of the two mods I have made to my spyders that is worth the money.

pro10is
10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I know belt vibration issues exist but I don't understand how the belt can cause the buzzing at exactly 5000-5500 engine RPMs in all gears. That makes no sense to me. The belt won't be traveling the same speed at 5500 RPM in 1st gear as it will at 5500 RPM in 4th gear. If the belt was the problem it would occur primarily at one or more specific speeds not the same engine RPM in all gears. In addition I don't feel an excess vibration, I -hear- a mechanical buzzing.

I think the engine is causing the vibration and it becomes harmonic at 5000-5500 RPM which then rattles something, perhaps the exhaust linkage. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Can't anyone help me with this?

Dudley
10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
You put out a question and invited suggestions, then you argue with the suggestions? I have had this issue for 15,000 miles...for me it's the belt. I know it is, so I ride and forget. I could tell you what I have done to reduce it significantly, but you wouldn't believe me either.

May be best you take it to the dealer.

pro10is
10-03-2012, 11:43 AM
You put out a question and invited suggestions, then you argue with the suggestions? I have had this issue for 15,000 miles...for me it's the belt. I know it is, so I ride and forget. I could tell you what I have done to reduce it significantly, but you wouldn't believe me either.

May be best you take it to the dealer.

No argument from me, I'm just looking for someone who has experience with the same problem I'm having, not a similar but unrelated vibration problem. I'm well aware belt vibration problems exist but that's not what I believe I'm experiencing. I believe the symptoms would be different. If you suffered from allergies but people were giving you advice about colds you keep looking too.

My dealer is two hours ride away, best to try and find an answer here first. Someone can help, I just need to find someone who has experience with the same issue.

If anyone thinks it's caused by the belt I would greatly appreciate help to understand why the vibration occurs at the exact same engine RPM range in all gears. Before I go out and spend close to $300 for a belt tensioner I need to know I'm on the right track.

Jeriatric
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Check engine alignment.

juliantrost
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Is it a buzzing sound or a howling sound? I get that all the time on my SE RS and had a thread opened on this, as well as brought the bike back to the dealer and had a service department manager come out and ride the bike, only to confirm that this is the way Rotaz engine works.

pro10is
10-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Is it a buzzing sound or a howling sound? I get that all the time on my SE RS and had a thread opened on this, as well as brought the bike back to the dealer and had a service department manager come out and ride the bike, only to confirm that this is the way Rotaz engine works.

It's definetly a buzzing sound, kind of like what a rattle full of BB's might sound like. It occurs at the 5000-5500 RPM range from both directions low to high or high to low. No change in performance, you can hear it but not feel it. It's not too loud but you can hear it plainly.

It's definetly not the drive belt because I can hear it if I rev the engine in neutral. I should have remembered and mentionend that before I first posted, sorry.

I remember reading somewhere that BRP stated the Spyder Rotax engine had a natural harmonic at exactly that RPM range so I think the vibration might be rattling something in or attached to the engine, but I can't figure out what. I was wondering if anyone else might have experienced this and had a clue how to stop it.

Ga Blue Knight
10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I had a similar sound and it turned out to be loose body panels on the bottom of the bike also an RS.

bobnaquin
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I know belt vibration issues exist but I don't understand how the belt can cause the buzzing at exactly 5000-5500 engine RPMs in all gears. That makes no sense to me. The belt won't be traveling the same speed at 5500 RPM in 1st gear as it will at 5500 RPM in 4th gear. If the belt was the problem it would occur primarily at one or more specific speeds not the same engine RPM in all gears. In addition I don't feel an excess vibration, I -hear- a mechanical buzzing.

I think the engine is causing the vibration and it becomes harmonic at 5000-5500 RPM which then rattles something, perhaps the exhaust linkage. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Can't anyone help me with this?
My experience and the experience of quite a few others is that after the belt tension was loosened the belt started to vibrate. Why it happens in that rpm range in every gear beats me. You can tighten it up and the noise will probably go away. But you will experience early and repeated rear wheel bearing failures. Or you could keep looking in other areas. It could be anything. I put a belt pulley on mine and it is BMW smooth at all speeds. That and the madstad windshield brackets are the two best things I have ever done to a Spyder in 55,000 miles of fiddling with them.

NancysToy
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
The cause of a vibration and the source of the buzzing may be far apart and not directly related. Any vibration can make a loose panel or component vibrate against another component or its mount, causing a buzzing or squeaking sound. The rubbing potions are often hard to find, and cannot be seen until they actually wear into the paint or each other. A thorough inspection and a check that all fasteners are tight can sometimes track things down. Good luck in your quest.