PDA

View Full Version : ST Throttle Body

pro10is
10-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm seriously considering buying an ST. However I'm a little worried that they use the same throttle bodies as the RT and those have been troublesome. Have the RT throttle body issues been resolved?

NancysToy
10-03-2012, 07:44 AM
I think that only time will tell. The latest (3rd version) update is supposed to be the cure. Unfortunately, many owners have not had that update yet, so some throttle bodies will continue to fail. I also suspect that there are some that were damaged previously, but not enough to throw a code, which may subsequently fail, despite having the latest update. I would urge all owners to check with their dealers and have their update status checked to bring their firmware up to date. The latest update has some other fixes, too, including the new shifting logic for the SE.

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Let's hope that is the magic that we've all been waiting for! :thumbup:
The natives might start getting restless if it isn't! :shocked:

pro10is
10-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Does the new shifting logic apply to all models? Is this to resolve the problem with clutch slip at under 3500 RPM?

Lamonster
10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Does the new shifting logic apply to all models? Is this to resolve the problem with clutch slip at under 3500 RPM?

The shift point has changed for all SE's to reduce clutch slippage under load. The new clutch with added plates and oil jet is for all makes and models and will also reduce heat and slippage. This update can be applied to all Spyder's from 2008 on.

pro10is
10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
The shift point has changed for all SE's to reduce clutch slippage under load. The new clutch with added plates and oil jet is for all makes and models and will also reduce heat and slippage. This update can be applied to all Spyder's from 2008 on.

That's great news. Is this going to be handled as just a service bulletin to dealers or are owners going to receive a letter? I'd like to get the software change applied to my bike to reduce the chance of clutch wear.

Lamonster
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
That's great news. Is this going to be handled as just a service bulletin to dealers or are owners going to receive a letter? I'd like to get the software change applied to my bike to reduce the chance of clutch wear.

I'm not sure how they will handle the software update, most likely it will be done at a service when BUDS is hooked up. I'm not even sure if it's a required update or not.

The clutch is not a recall so it will not be replace unless you want to pay to have it replaced. This is just an evolution of the product.

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks Lamont! I'll check with my guy regarding this update over the weekend... :thumbup:

pro10is
10-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure how they will handle the software update, most likely it will be done at a service when BUDS is hooked up. I'm not even sure if it's a required update or not.

The clutch is not a recall so it will not be replace unless you want to pay to have it replaced. This is just an evolution of the product.

Thank you for the info. I certainly didn't expect the clutch to be a recall but I was hoping the software update would be offered at no charge. My local BRP dealer charges $50 just to attach the BUDS cable and then charges a minimum of one hour's labor from there. So the software update change would cost me about $115.

jerpinoy
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm sure the updates were installed during my 600 miles check two weeks ago on my 2012 RT SE5 .Thanks a lot Lamonster for all your time. My confidence of owning my Spyder is greater everyday. I feel so bless to be part of the "Spyder Rider". Lets all ride safely and enjoy life to the fullest. God Bless Jerry:yes::yes::yes:

Ga Blue Knight
10-03-2012, 01:39 PM
My software was updated as part of an oil change with no additional charges. Anyone know how much the new clutch retrofit would cost?

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
:agree: :bbq: :bbq: :bbq:

arntufun
10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the info. I certainly didn't expect the clutch to be a recall but I was hoping the software update would be offered at no charge. My local BRP dealer charges $50 just to attach the BUDS cable and then charges a minimum of one hour's labor from there. So the software update change would cost me about $115.

My dealer hooked mine up for and reset the steering angle sensors for free. It only took a couple of minutes to do. Sorry, your dealer is so greedy.

pro10is
10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
My dealer hooked mine up for and reset the steering angle sensors for free. It only took a couple of minutes to do. Sorry, your dealer is so greedy.

Greedy is one of his nicer traits! :roflblack:

I'll probably have to head over to Malone, NY to get it updated. The BRP dealer there is great.

scooterexpress
12-31-2012, 11:51 AM
these updates that you are all talking about are these the ones that brp came out with at the owners event?

JJW SpyderRider
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM
I had two Throttle Body faults within two months of getting my RT. A new update, the latest, came out and was installed and no more faults since. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Greedy is one of his nicer traits! :roflblack:

I'll probably have to head over to Malone, NY to get it updated. The BRP dealer there is great.

Who's the dealer up near Plattsburgh; they've got a pretty good reputation as well...
Maybe Mike can chime in with a name and phone number??