PDA

View Full Version : Wheels off the Ground?

MetroAsian
01-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Anyone manage to lift a wheel off the ground on the Spyder? I was taking a sharp right turn in my neighborhood at 40 mph and lifted the right wheel off the ground. Not sure if the stability / traction control kicked in or not. I guess the stability control on the spyder is not failsafe. Just wanted to push the spyder to the extreme before finding out the hard way by on a twistie road. Looks like the the spyder could potentially roll over still.

2faston3
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Mr. Metro:

I have had one wheel or another on the front off the ground many times, during the many test drives I have taken (11). You can fool the computer momentarily if you make a sharp right/left hand turn at speed. Providing you don't hold it there for any length of time the computer won't shut it down long enough for you to notice. Once you get used to it you will be able to get the computer to shut it down so that you would feel it...Shuddering as it makes you drop the wheel to the ground. :bigthumbsup:

2faston3

Still waiting for mine...

matusky
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh wow..... and in all the demo videos and promo material they make it look so failsafe! ::)

MetroAsian
01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
that's exactly what I thought matusky....I looked like the rider out of control in the demo video with the traction control off.

matusky
01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
that's exactly what I thought matusky....I looked like the rider out of control in the demo video with the traction control off.

Going 40mph? ooooh, that's not good...... what BRP is saying about 'stability in motion' 'open road feeling but as safe as a convertible sports car' ........ is this hype or is this thing really just a souped up quad that's missing a wheel?

spyryder
01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
From page #24 of your owners manual.... ::)

The three-wheeled “Y” configuration
provides greater low-speed stability
than a motorcycle. However, it is
not as stable as a four-wheeled vehicle
such as an automobile. Driving
aid technologies, like the electronic
Vehicle Stability System (VSS), help
maintain stability during maneuvers,
but you can still lose control, tip or roll
the vehicle due to extreme maneuvers
(such as hard turns at high speeds) or
striking uneven surfaces or objects.
In addition, the operator or passenger
can fall off due to hard turns, acceleration,
braking or impacts.

Spyderman
01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Very easy to get the wheel up when riding 2 people.

matusky
01-19-2008, 02:41 PM
From page #24 of your owners manual.... ::)

The three-wheeled “Y” configuration
provides greater low-speed stability
than a motorcycle. However, it is
not as stable as a four-wheeled vehicle
such as an automobile...................

Agreed, but one has to realize that a lot of the manuals for things like the spyder are C.Y.A. items and I asked just because I kinda expect the actual experiences of riders to be a little different than what the manuals and BRP videos say.......

It's pretty well known that BRP is learning a lot from the first owners of this vehicle and have been making various changes as a result of that feedback and research.

spyryder
01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Agreed, but one has to realize that a lot of the manuals for things like the spyder are C.Y.A. items and I asked just because I kinda expect the actual experiences of riders to be a little different than what the manuals and BRP videos say.......

It's pretty well known that BRP is learning a lot from the first owners of this vehicle and have been making various changes as a result of that feedback and research.

I was directing my reply to the original poster......I wouldn't try making a sharp turn in my car at 40mph, let alone one of these things! I hope no one gets hurt proving that they CAN flip their Spyder. :-[

MetroAsian
01-20-2008, 03:15 AM
I guess I'm used to drifting my car into tight turns :) It's gonna get me in trouble on the spyder.