PDA

View Full Version : Since I don't have a Spyder yet...

Helevitia
01-19-2008, 01:01 AM
...or have even put down a deposit since I am waiting to see what my taxes will be like, I have to share something with all of you :)

My fantasy is to be able to use my iPhone as a phone and an MP3 player while riding.

Reality is that you probably can't talk on a phone while going 60mph on the freeway :D Be easy on me, I've never owned a bike before.

So while I wait to see when I am able to put down a deposit for the SE5(and it's starting to look good!), I bought a pair of these:

http://oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/380x340/a4/46fadc4f3f7c5.jpg

They are stereo bluetooth headphones for the mp3 player and bluetooth for my phone. They work awesome! Anyway, just thought I'd share :)

So if I am wearing a decent helmet, how easy/hard is it to use the phone? Meaning, can I hear them and can they hear me? What about safety?

Helevitia
01-19-2008, 01:03 AM
BTW,I am going to bed so I can get up early tomorrow to go camping. Probably won't see this or respond until Sunday night. :joke: :doorag:

Director
01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
...or have even put down a deposit since I am waiting to see what my taxes will be like, I have to share something with all of you :)

My fantasy is to be able to use my iPhone as a phone and an MP3 player while riding.

Reality is that you probably can't talk on a phone while going 60mph on the freeway :D Be easy on me, I've never owned a bike before.

So while I wait to see when I am able to put down a deposit for the SE5(and it's starting to look good!), I bought a pair of these:

http://oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/380x340/a4/46fadc4f3f7c5.jpg

They are stereo bluetooth headphones for the mp3 player and bluetooth for my phone. They work awesome! Anyway, just thought I'd share :)

So if I am wearing a decent helmet, how easy/hard is it to use the phone? Meaning, can I hear them and can they hear me? What about safety?

I do not think your Oakley setup will work for you at highway speeds. All decent motorcycle communication systems have wind-muffled speakers and a small amplifier to clearly transmit incoming transmissions to the earpieces. I have an Autocom which works extremely well at all speeds. Mine is a hard-wired system, but there are some bluetooth options available now. In fact, Autcom sells a bluetooth adapter for their system, and I came across a system that was featured on another Spyder forum. This is the Scala Rider:

http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider_teamset/

Since this communication is done on a hands-free basis, I personally do not have safety concerns. You cannot allow yourself to be distracted from the primary task at hand of operating the machine, but I believe a competent rider can manage to both operate the machine and handle voice transmissions, whether they are over a cell phone, a CB radio, or an FRS/GMRS radio. Be mindful though, that these devices are not legal in all jurisdictions. You will have to check the laws in your own state.

Cheers,

Bruce