PDA

View Full Version : small problem

dbxray
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I have a small problem the :spyder2:will not shift into neutral from 1gear. It dose go into neutral when I start it. I have a 2011 RTS just turn 4100 miles. any Ideas on what it could be? is it something I can fix or do I need to take it to the dealer:dontknow:

CyncySpyder
10-01-2012, 07:23 PM
A low oil level can cause this among many other things.

harrypottar
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
:agree:, check your oil.

harry

crossbowme
10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I have had that problem since day one. I just go into R and then it goes into N. I can get into N from 1 but it's a frig - I just go thru R.:shocked:

CyncySpyder
10-01-2012, 08:29 PM
I have had that problem since day one. I just go into R and then it goes into N. I can get into N from 1 but it's a frig - I just go thru R.:shocked:

This is NOT normal, and I'd recommend that you should have your dealer look into this. When you have an SE5 equipped Spyder, you should shift it into N before shutting it off. In order to shift into N, the bike must be completely stopped and not moving. The ONLY reason a NORMAL SE5 Equipped Spyder should NOT Downshift into N from 1st gear, is if its still moving and you try pushing the thumb shifter, then it will ignore your input.

Trickie Dick
10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
This is NOT normal, and I'd recommend that you should have your dealer look into this. When you have an SE5 equipped Spyder, you should shift it into N before shutting it off. In order to shift into N, the bike must be completely stopped and not moving. The ONLY reason a NORMAL SE5 Equipped Spyder should NOT Downshift into N from 1st gear, is if its still moving and you try pushing the thumb shifter, then it will ignore your input.

Not now, now have I ever shifted into neutral before I shut my spyder off. It always shifts into neutral when I start it. :2thumbs:

JJW SpyderRider
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I have a small problem the :spyder2:will not shift into neutral from 1gear. It dose go into neutral when I start it. I have a 2011 RTS just turn 4100 miles. any Ideas on what it could be? is it something I can fix or do I need to take it to the dealer:dontknow:

Sounds normal to me. "will not shift into neutral from 1gear. It dose go into neutral when I start it." Sounds like the Rt was off when you were trying to shift into neutral but it shifted when you started it like it should. The SE5 will not shift when it is not running. It will auomatically shift to neutral from 1st when it is started.

dbxray
10-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Sounds normal to me. "will not shift into neutral from 1gear. It dose go into neutral when I start it." Sounds like the Rt was off when you were trying to shift into neutral but it shifted when you started it like it should. The SE5 will not shift when it is not running. It will auomatically shift to neutral from 1st when it is started.

It not off or moving I parking set the brake shif to neutral before I turn it off. But it will not do it anymore . Will check oil thanks

sharbill
10-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a 2011 RTS and it shifts into N from 1st gear with no problem. If I leave it in 1st gear and shut it off, when the key is turned off the buzzer sounds and keeps sounding until you turn the key on and restart it and shift it to N. If it is shut off and left in first gear you have to turn the key on, hold the foot brake down and start it then and only then will it will automaticlly shift to N and start.

dbxray
10-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Its not off or moving, it when i'm parking I set the brake then try to shif to neutral before I turn it off. But it will not do it anymore . Will check oil thanks

NancysToy
10-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Check the oil level. SEs are quite sensitive to having the correct oil level.
Use the correct oil. I feel it is OK to substitute 10W-40 for the 5W-40 in BRP's spec, but using 20W-50 can cause problems.
Be sure you change the oil and filters on schedule. Use the new (longer) transmission filter or a HiFlo filter. Filter restriction can cause difficulties shifting, and neutral is the hardest gear to select.
If none of these seem to be the problem, see your dealer (or learn to live with it). One of your clutches may be developing problems.

Bob Denman
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Check the oil level. SEs are quite sensitive to having the correct oil level.

If none of these seem to be the problem, see your dealer (or learn to live with it). One of your clutches may be developing problems.

:agree: Please let us know what is found... We seem to have had a recent rash of shifting difficulties reported. :shocked:

retired1
10-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Sharbill;
The buzzer sounding, has nothing to do with the position of the transmission. The buzzer is indicating that the ebrake is not on.

Cruzr Joe
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Sharbill;
The buzzer sounding, has nothing to do with the position of the transmission. The buzzer is indicating that the ebrake is not on.

on my 2012 RT Ltd SE5 the buzzer indicates that it is still in gear.

MouthPiece
10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm viewing this thread with interest. My new RT-S is going to be semiautomatic. My previous spyder was manual. ?......To shift or not to shift into neutral after stopping and wanting to shut down?

Chris

billybovine
10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm viewing this thread with interest. My new RT-S is going to be semiautomatic. My previous spyder was manual. ?......To shift or not to shift into neutral after stopping and wanting to shut down?

Chris

It really does not matter if you go to neutral before shutting off or not. I personally go to neutral before shutdown. That way I can start it without getting on and holding the brake pedal down. It is up to you and it will work just as well either way.

SpyRyd
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Chris

You might want to make it a habit to shift into neutral before setting the parking brake and shutting down. If you leave it in gear when you shut down then should your :ani29: not start for some reason you will have difficulty moving it because it will be in gear. Shifting to neutral before shutting down will ensure you will be able to move your :ani29: should it not start for any reason. I learned this from Lamonster while speaking with him at his BBQ earlier last month.

billybovine
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM

First did it fail to shift or did not try at all?

First if it failed to shift you should have heard the engine rev up to 1800 rpm by itself 3 times before giving up. It will likely not throw a code if that happens but if it does it will be for the gear position sensor, but likely nothing wrong with it. How old is your oil and filters. If you are due for a oil change that is likely your cause.

If it did not try at all, are you holding the paddle switch too long? If you hold the paddle switch it will not shift. Edit note (holding switch too long only applies when going from 1st to neutral and reverse to neutral)

jerpinoy
10-02-2012, 11:39 AM
My 2012 RT SE5 will start with key turn to the right, the menu button pushed, red switch (right hand) to on, brake push down and start switch pushed. I always select parking brakes on or set before I take my key out. This is my routine all the time. I also read my owner booklet all the time and I always fine and learn the one I missed last time. I'm also on this site almost daily to check anything I can learn from all of you and thank you so much. :yes: Jerry:yes:

billybovine
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
on my 2012 RT Ltd SE5 the buzzer indicates that it is still in gear.

Sorry it's for the parking brake not the gear position.

dbxray
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Check oil it was low. Fill the oil still will not shift to neural form first gear it will form reverse and if I start it in first gear it goes into neural. It about due for oil change I can have them look at it then, just not sure this dealer is up to it. They are good at changing the oil not sure I would trust them with much more.

Cruzr Joe
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Sorry it's for the parking brake not the gear position.

You are correct.

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

SpyRyd
10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Check oil it was low. Fill the oil still will not shift to neural form first gear it will form reverse and if I start it in first gear it goes into neural. It about due for oil change I can have them look at it then, just not sure this dealer is up to it. They are good at changing the oil not sure I would trust them with much more.

Sent you a PM.

NancysToy
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
You might want to make it a habit to shift into neutral before setting the parking brake and shutting down. If you leave it in gear when you shut down then should your :ani29: not start for some reason you will have difficulty moving it because it will be in gear. Shifting to neutral before shutting down will ensure you will be able to move your :ani29: should it not start for any reason. I learned this from Lamonster while speaking with him at his BBQ earlier last month.
You can move a SE even if it is parked in gear. The centrifugal clutch is not engaged. That is why they need to have the parking brake turned on and there is a warning for that.

dbxray
10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the help it was the oil. Took it out for ride 30 miles now it shif to neural with no problems. I guess the oil just needed some time move around. Thanks this is the best site:bowdown:

rcturner
10-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I am lucky enough to not have any problems associated with low oil levels but, I have read many posts on this forum that attribute several different problems to it. I don't doubt what people are saying but, I don't understand what, in a dry sump system, is really happening. I wouldn't think that a dry sump system would be that sensitive to being 1/2 or 3/4 of a quart low on oil. Please help me to understand what is happening.

Thanks

NancysToy
10-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I am lucky enough to not have any problems associated with low oil levels but, I have read many posts on this forum that attribute several different problems to it. I don't doubt what people are saying but, I don't understand what, in a dry sump system, is really happening. I wouldn't think that a dry sump system would be that sensitive to being 1/2 or 3/4 of a quart low on oil. Please help me to understand what is happening.

Thanks
:agree: but the Spyder seems to be the exception to the rule. Lots of possible reasons...head loss or gain at the pump, inhibited return line, or even air/foam sucked into the pump due to a vortex forming in the tank. Why it happens is unknow...but it does happen.