PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body question

Dragonrider
10-01-2012, 05:27 PM
For those who have lived through it, does your milage degrade before the throttle body actuator dies?? My milage is now down to 24.8, using the summer junk gas.

Illinois Boy
10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
For those who have lived through it, does your milage degrade before the throttle body actuator dies?? My milage is now down to 24.8, using the summer junk gas.

I did not see any difference in mileage. What I did notice was what began as a subtle rough-start... just for a flash-moment. It began to get slightly worse... and then after riding all-day for several hundred miles I shut it off to eat. When I came back out and started it, it wouldn't run very good. When I put it into gear it bucked, clanked, vibrated, and basically sounded (and felt) like it was going to blow apart.

All of this occurred over just a few days. After multiple tries (sometimes as many as ten) it would start and run correctly without any problems.

I made it home and replaced the TB...

ulflyer
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I've had two TB's and didn't see any loss of milage. When it happens it comes on quick; don't know theres any warning of any kind.

NancysToy
10-01-2012, 08:39 PM
More likely your problem is deteriorated spark plug wires and/or worn spark plugs. Summer gas can certainly compound any other situation, though.

schnauzermom
10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
We went on an over 200 mile ride this weekend, first since having my throttle body replaced. And before I was averaging 25/26 mpg. Did get 34 on bike trip this summer. Yesterday, filled up twice and got 34mpg first tank and 32 second. You tell me, I will be thrilled if I continue in low 30's.

Dragonrider
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Under 10K on the bike. I can't believe plugs could be that bad already.

NancysToy
10-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Under 10K on the bike. I can't believe plugs could be that bad already.
They certainly can be, especially on a 2010. The plug wires are a more likely culprit at that mileage, though. The OEM wires are crap.

It costs nothing but your time (and several cuss words) to check the plugs, but If you go through the pain and agony of pulling them, I'd replace the wires and plugs with the ones from BajaRon. As an alternative, you can just ride for another month, and see if the winter formulation gas restores your mileage. There can be other causes, BTW, deteriorating sensors being a common one.

NancysToy
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I pulled my plugs out at the 9K service and found them the right color but the electrodes showed a lot more wear than I could really believe.
It must be the really hot ignition.
I can readily imagine a plug or wires failing under those conditions.
BRP specifies replacing spark plugs every 12,000 miles or every two years, so they seem to be aware that the Spyder is hard on spark plugs. Iridiums last longer, IMO, but would unlikely be 100K plugs in this application, like they are in cars.

gypsy_100
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
On my 2011 RT with the hotter DCPR8E plugs, I had the dealer pull them at 17K miles when he had all the plastic off for a water pump shaft replacement (another story). I can tell you at 17K these hotter plugs looked like new. Perfect color, no wear on the electrodes. I replaced them with iridium plugs which BRP now specifies for all RT's. Interestingly, the plugs that would directly replace the DCPR8E's are DCPR8EIX (IX for iridium) and that's what Baja Ron sells. When BRP went to iridium, they chose KR8BI plugs. Still the same heat range ("8") but must be something different in the tip design. KR8BI's are now shown in all the BRP replacement part catalogs for all years of RT's. So I bit the bullet and had the dealer put the KR8's in. Don't know if there's anything "better" about them than the DCPR's but I went for it. Double the price of the DCPR's since you get them from the dealer as a BRP part. Next time when I DIY my plugs, I'll probably just go with the DCPR8EIX. However, based on the 17K performance of the original non-iridium plugs, that will be a long time from now.

bikeguy
10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
The throttle body on my 2010 RT was replaced about a year ago under warranty. I rode it for several months after the problem began before I took the time to take it in to the dealer. As far as I could tell the fuel mileage was never affected.

Cotton

RAYYOU
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I noticed no change in my mileage with the bad throttlebody.