PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know if the Fuze wheel lights that WalMart sells would work on the Spyder?

NoJive
10-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Just saw these at my local store. $20 isn't a bad price, if they could be rigged to fit on the front wheels. Not sure if they would stand the speeds, and I'm sure you'd have to balance out the wheel. Interesting though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuze-Bike-FX-Wheel-Writer/dp/B0084PJIL0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1/191-0342316-1649815

Cavman
10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
www.fuzebikefx.com

zrc
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I am liking what I am seeing here, I will investigate and get back to you.

shelbydave
10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Mounts Directly to Your Spokes (20" Wheel and Up)

Ditch the fourteens up front, and throw on some double deuces, and you're in like a tall dog... :joke:

Tomite
10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
That would be cool if it works. Let us know if you decide to try it.

Trickie Dick
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Water resistant:yikes:

boomerkc
10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
last week. The one's we got at Wal-Mart had to be on specific spoke pattern for 20" wheels. A week later, they're broken. Probably wouldn't do too well with the MPH since they're designed for bikes. The fastest my grandson and his friends got was 19 mph. To have a full wheel of the designs, you need to have 3 of them per wheel.

Saw these as an FB ad http://www.mathmos.com/mathmos-bike-lights-circles-of-light-when-you-cycle-23386-0.html
Would be interesting to try since they screw on the valve stems. Don't give the fancy designs or MPH but do change colors.

NoJive
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I've also been looking at these for awhile:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

With these, you can upload your own images! Still, they are made for bicycles, so I am not sure how they would do on the :spyder2:. I figured the Fuze things are cheap enough to experiment with...and I may buy one to see.

NoJive
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM
:clap: Awesome!

I just did some research, and watched the install video. I think, far as the front wheels go, the magnet would be an issue. That got me to thinking about the rear wheel. It may in fact work back there, but the rim size may be an issue as far as timing the lights. Timing may be an issue with speed as well, since I am sure these weren't designed to read anything over 25mph or so. Going 55mph would probably throw the timing off to where all you saw was gibberish.

I am liking what I am seeing here, I will investigate and get back to you.

zrc
10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I called and talked to the company. 2 of the products work on batteries and are not "magnet" started. The not exotic wheel pattern and the glow light hose thingie. The cool patterned wheel light does require up to 3 to make the pattern at "low speeds" which is sub-15 mph, who even rides that speed (lol). The main issue is there has to be a magnet mounted that the little thingies pass over every so often and the magnet needs to be a quarter inch from the unit to keep it "on".

I am currently trying to negoitate free products from them for testing on a motorcycle, noting to them that they would be the price leader in this catagory of wheel lighting.

Based on what I see, I am concerned about overall speed and the ability for the units to survive the kind of beating I will give them.

I will report back when I have more information.

zrc
10-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I've also been looking at these for awhile:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

With these, you can upload your own images! Still, they are made for bicycles, so I am not sure how they would do on the :spyder2:. I figured the Fuze things are cheap enough to experiment with...and I may buy one to see.

According to the forums for this site, the max speed they can handle is 125 mph. VERY INTERESTING.

Kratos
10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Interesting. Would be cool if it could work. :thumbup:

NoJive
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for giving them a call, and doing the research on this. Also, besides turning the lights on, the magnet is responsible for timing the lights/measuring the RPM. In all of these POV projects, the rate the LEDs flash is dependent on the RPM of the wheel. I would think that you could mount a magnet on the rear swingarm, but it would need to be very close to the device on the wheel.

I called and talked to the company. 2 of the products work on batteries and are not "magnet" started. The not exotic wheel pattern and the glow light hose thingie. The cool patterned wheel light does require up to 3 to make the pattern at "low speeds" which is sub-15 mph, who even rides that speed (lol). The main issue is there has to be a magnet mounted that the little thingies pass over every so often and the magnet needs to be a quarter inch from the unit to keep it "on".

I am currently trying to negoitate free products from them for testing on a motorcycle, noting to them that they would be the price leader in this catagory of wheel lighting.

Based on what I see, I am concerned about overall speed and the ability for the units to survive the kind of beating I will give them.

I will report back when I have more information.

NoJive
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I like these better, but they are a bit more exposed, and not waterproof. But, you could download the Spyder Y logo into them, or the BRP logo. :thumbup:

According to the forums for this site, the max speed they can handle is 125 mph. VERY INTERESTING.

Tomite
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I found a pair that go on the valve stem really cheap. I'll let you guys know how they do. It's not the neat patterns but it will help the bike to be seen more.