PDA

View Full Version : funny story...

csmead
01-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Spouse and I are thinking about riding (out to the East Coast) with a HD group. Spouse casually mentioned that I may want to drive (as opposed to taking a backseat) in my Spyder. HD group said, ummm... we will give her a map. Hmmm. Are they thinking that I cannot keep up? Or will I be too uncool to be seen with the HD group? ;D

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Spouse and I are thinking about riding (out to the East Coast) with a HD group. Spouse casually mentioned that I may want to drive (as opposed to taking a backseat) in my Spyder. HD group said, ummm... we will give her a map. Hmmm. Are they thinking that I cannot keep up? Or will I be too uncool to be seen with the HD group? ;D

Trust me, you'll be anything but uncool and keeping up will be no problem. The problem I see is nobody is going to be looking at their bike at all. ::)

I went to the local Hardies yesterday on the Spyder and I had a guy in the store talking with my for about 15 min. concerning the Spyder. A FedX guy comes in and has to know who's riding that thing and he talked with me for some time. I go into the parking lot to leave and a cute young lady pulls up with her daddy and said what a cool ride it was and she was following me around town and was going to try and pull me over to take a good look at it. Then three more cars and trucks pulled off the road to come and talk to me about the Spyder and they all thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen.

Maybe it is a good idea that you go separate paths because it's really going to slow down your buddies when you park or get fuel. ;D :doorag:

draboo
01-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Trust me, you'll be anything but uncool and keeping up will be no problem. The problem I see is nobody is going to be looking at their bike at all. ::)

I believe Lamont hit the proverbial nail dead on!

Harleys coolnest factor has plummeted(IMO) since the market flooded starting in the early `80s when the EVO engine was introduced.

I did the Harley/BA biker thing in the mid-`70s till I sold it and went with a `76 Norton Commando in 1980. The HD bikes I saw back then were few and loud. Wow factor was still quite good. Now you see one on every street corner.

Motorcycle manufacturers must be constantly changing their styles to get away from the HD cloned "cruiser" look and get some fresh ideas on the street;the Spyder is a good example of such thinking. :bigthumbsup:

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I believe Lamont hit the proverbial nail dead on!

Harleys coolnest factor has plummeted(IMO) since the market flooded starting in the early `80s when the EVO engine was introduced.

I did the Harley/BA biker thing in the mid-`70s till I sold it and went with a `76 Norton Commando in 1980. The HD bikes I saw back then were few and loud. Wow factor was still quite good. Now you see one on every street corner.

Motorcycle manufacturers must be constantly changing their styles to get away from the HD cloned "cruiser" look and get some fresh ideas on the street;the Spyder is a good example of such thinking. :bigthumbsup:

Harley riders need lovin too. :doorag: ;D :bigthumbsup:

Spyderman
01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
This thing has "FUN" written all over it and you show me a person, especially a lady that doesn't want to have fun. I have brought my Spyder to many bike nights and everyone (even the diehard Harley guys) are all over it. Lost count of how many pictures have been taken. The funniest thing is when they look at the speedo and think the thing does 200 mph!

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
This thing has "FUN" written all over it and you show me a person, especially a lady that doesn't want to have fun. I have brought my Spyder to many bike nights and everyone (even the diehard Harley guys) are all over it. Lost count of how many pictures have been taken. The funniest thing is when they look at the speedo and think the thing does 200 mph!

Funny you said that about the speedo, had a guy yesterday think it did 200 ;D

By the way when people ask me what is it?, my standard line now is "FUN" :bigthumbsup:

matusky
01-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Funny thing...... I just left a Harley dealer, Mike's Famous Harley Davidson in New Castle, Delaware....

I was there for work, but in talking with a sales guy there he said they had sold a couple bikes this week, blah blah blah...... I asked him about what he thought of the Spyder... he said he had seen pictures of it and heard a little hype, but didn't know much about it and was waiting to see on in person to make his judgement on it.......

I've mentioned to Spyder to a couple biker types that I know..... Honda, Yamaha crotch rocket and HD riders.... not one of them knew what I was talking about when I mentioned a 3 wheeled road bike that wasn't custom.

I just hope that after paying all this money, 2 years from now the Spyder still has a little 'cool' factor..... not like the PT Cruiser, or the other vehicles that had all this anticipation, was cool in the beginning and then just faded off.....

I was told by a co-worker, who has seen the pics of the Spyder, never one in person or anything, but he thinks it'll be really cool and different but said "I'd never ride that up and park it in front of a hardcore biker bar, no way man...... that's all you."

I guess we'll all wait and see...... :joke:

Spyderman
01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I think it is so cool that we, a select few, have been able to experiance a whole new idea in the cycling world. I am sure glad somebody had the balls and brains to go the next step. I can't wait to see what the other Big 3 cycle builders comeup with.

csmead
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
:agree:
Thanks for the feed back. Yeah, I am not sure how many biker bars I will be pulling up to. I am a short, smallish female and I really don't expect to get beat up right away. Spouse has Harley, beautiful bike, but it weighs a ton and I cannot safely handle the weight/height of any stock Harley. I just could not see spending part of my life staring at the back of his helmet....unless he figures how to install a DVD player. I wanted something of my own. Something that could keep up with the big dogs. And practical enough to take to the grocery store! I have several female friends interested on seeing the bike but no one (but me) had the bells to track down a dealer, demand a demo, test it out and put down the money. However, it needs a cup holder and a place to attach a GPS. Any ideas, Lamonster? ::)

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 03:36 PM
:agree:
Thanks for the feed back. Yeah, I am not sure how many biker bars I will be pulling up to. I am a short, smallish female and I really don't expect to get beat up right away. Spouse has Harley, beautiful bike, but it weighs a ton and I cannot safely handle the weight/height of any stock Harley. I just could not see spending part of my life staring at the back of his helmet....unless he figures how to install a DVD player. I wanted something of my own. Something that could keep up with the big dogs. And practical enough to take to the grocery store! I have several female friends interested on seeing the bike but no one (but me) had the bells to track down a dealer, demand a demo, test it out and put down the money. However, it needs a cup holder and a place to attach a GPS. Any ideas, Lamonster? ::)

Good for you, I'm sure you will love all the attention but your Spouse may not. ;)

GPS is no problem. You can go with a RAM mount off of the bar or do like I did. Cup holder should be pretty easy too. :doorag:

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/923155653.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7460541)

csmead
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
What is your GPS plugging into? Is it hard wired?

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
What is your GPS plugging into? Is it hard wired?

When I first put it on at the dealer in Tampa I used a car lighter adaptor but now I have it hard wirered to a power block I added.

matusky
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
When I first put it on at the dealer in Tampa I used a car lighter adaptor but now I have it hard wirered to a power block I added.

Lamonster.... is that GPS waterproof? I know not all of them are and I'm trying to determine what the best one to get is..... I have one in my truck that's built in but have no idea what to get for the bike..... you get kind of used to having one once you've had one for a while..... I can see me taking the scenic route through Lancaster, PA one day and finding myself lost in the middle of a cornfield.....

Are there any GPS units specific to bikes?

hevnbound
01-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Motorcycle specific GPS ............ Garmin ZUMO 550. I have it and it is absolutely great. In addition to GPS, it is also an MP3 player and you can add XM Radio. It will communicate with your Bluetooth phone. Plug it into you helmet speakers and play music, take phone calls and, listen to verbal turn-by-turn directions. It is waterproof and comes with mount for a motorcycle and car.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-zumo-550-motorcycle-gps/zumo550.htm

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I have two of these and I love them. Yes they are water proof. :doorag:

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Lowrance-iWay-600C-GPS-Navigation-System-1009094~.html?sid=ohgy1714138wvk6

matusky
01-17-2008, 11:53 PM
That's awesome that both of these have MP3 players built in! I'm probably going to take a look at eBay for the best deal on these, thank you!

Lamonster
01-18-2008, 07:52 AM
That's awesome that both of these have MP3 players built in! I'm probably going to take a look at eBay for the best deal on these, thank you!

I'm looking at another one right now that has a 4.3" screen with full USA and Canada Mapping, 11 million POI, XM tuner, 11 languages, 8 GB HDD storage,PMP Music MP3, WMA & Photos, SD Card Reader, and Camera Input to use as a rearview mirror. :doorag: ;D :bigthumbsup:

csmead
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
...whoa...and what brand would that be; how much would it run? I'm guessing about $1,200?

matusky
01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm looking at another one right now that has a 4.3" screen with full USA and Canada Mapping, 11 million POI, XM tuner, 11 languages, 8 GB HDD storage,PMP Music MP3, WMA & Photos, SD Card Reader, and Camera Input to use as a rearview mirror. :doorag: ;D :bigthumbsup:

Wow..... ok, maybe I'll hold off then! what make and model is that? because that would save me getting a separate XM tuner. How big is it in comparision to the one you have on yours now Lamonster?

Lamonster
01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Wow..... ok, maybe I'll hold off then! what make and model is that? because that would save me getting a separate XM tuner. How big is it in comparision to the one you have on yours now Lamonster?

Just got back from looking at one and it's not waterproof so it won't work for me. :(

matusky
01-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Just got back from looking at one and it's not waterproof so it won't work for me. :(

Aww..... crap :dontknow: