PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake failed! Think spydee is DOWN and OUT this time!!

Bumblebee67
09-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I think I'm gonna cry again..:(:(..Long story short, was on a ride at Venom in Vandier and we stopped for gas. Set the brake and got off for about 15 min or so, got ready to leave, walked over to the bike -did not touch anything except to pick up my helmet off the seat. Turned to answer a question and took about four steps away, answered the question and then I heard a so-so loud bump-thud-smack-crash-whatever, it all sounds the same, turned and lo and behold....no spyder!!:shocked::shocked:. Look a little to my right and there she is ..sitting at the bottom of the little incline (about 35-40 feet away) smack dab in front of a big ole power pole:yikes::yikes::yikes:. My heart sank.... walked over there and upon first inspection seen my right Givi bag is toast, thought ok-just caught the bag, replaceable, WRONG!! then I see the dented Hindle and broken rear footpeg bracket, ok, not real bad, WRONG AGAIN, now I'm gettin a kinda sickly feeling down in the tummy, THEN, THEN I smell the gas :yikes::yikes:, then I see the gas :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:. :cus: I grab me phone and checkbook outta the tank bag and step way back. :cus: . There was nothing I could do. The gas appeared to be comming out all under the bike. I cannot believe she didn't start on fire (upon closer inspection- I may have wished she did). Luckily, our gas stop had me about 6 miles from home, so I sent the rest of the riders on their way and waited for a trailer. got her home, called the insurance co.(Foremost), adjuster won't be out till Monday:banghead::cus::banghead:. Took a few panels off and this is what I found: Upon tearing through my bag, the pole halfway centered my hindle, pushing it forward, causing it to fold at the mounting bracket, breaking the rear foot peg, shoving the exhaust forward. It is really appearant on the left side, exhaust is bumped up against the belt and the bracket that holds the front pegs. My main worry now is: did the muffler crack anything where it attatches to the head?? Did it pull something loose??Is there anything else that I can't easily see ?? Internal and/or External??? :gaah:I guess I have to wait on the adjuster to tell me what I can and cannot do. :banghead::banghead: I think I'm gonna cry again :(:(

PS: I like everyone here on SPYDERLOVERS, but please, spare me the wisecracks, I'm in enough pain:(:(

johnnyrocket
09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I think I'm gonna cry again..:(:(..Long story short, was on a ride at Venom in Vandier and we stopped for gas. Set the brake and got off for about 15 min or so, got ready to leave, walked over to the bike -did not touch anything except to pick up my helmet off the seat. Turned to answer a question and took about four steps away, answered the question and then I heard a so-so loud bump-thud-smack-crash-whatever, it all sounds the same, turned and lo and behold....no spyder!!:shocked::shocked:. Look a little to my right and there she is ..sitting at the bottom of the little incline (about 35-40 feet away) smack dab in front of a big ole power pole:yikes::yikes::yikes:. My heart sank.... walked over there and upon first inspection seen my right Givi bag is toast, thought ok-just caught the bag, replaceable, WRONG!! then I see the dented Hindle and broken rear footpeg bracket, ok, not real bad, WRONG AGAIN, now I'm gettin a kinda sickly feeling down in the tummy, THEN, THEN I smell the gas :yikes::yikes:, then I see the gas :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:. :cus: I grab me phone and checkbook outta the tank bag and step way back. :cus: . There was nothing I could do. The gas appeared to be comming out all under the bike. I cannot believe she didn't start on fire (upon closer inspection- I may have wished she did). Luckily, our gas stop had me about 6 miles from home, so I sent the rest of the riders on their way and waited for a trailer. got her home, called the insurance co.(Foremost), adjuster won't be out till Monday:banghead::cus::banghead:. Took a few panels off and this is what I found: Upon tearing through my bag, the pole halfway centered my hindle, pushing it forward, causing it to fold at the mounting bracket, breaking the rear foot peg, shoving the exhaust forward. It is really appearant on the left side, exhaust is bumped up against the belt and the bracket that holds the front pegs. My main worry now is: did the muffler crack anything where it attatches to the head?? Did it pull something loose??Is there anything else that I can't easily see ?? Internal and/or External??? :gaah:I guess I have to wait on the adjuster to tell me what I can and cannot do. :banghead::banghead: I think I'm gonna cry again :(:(

PS: I like everyone here on SPYDERLOVERS, but please, spare me the wisecracks, I'm in enough pain:(:(

Really sorry to hear about your Spyder, hope insurance takes good care of you. Keep us informed. My emergency brake did the same thing a couple of months ago but luckily someone caught it before it went out in the road. Good luck!

arntufun
09-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear of this. You will not know the full extent of the damage until your dearler starts tearing her down. Your insurance agent must be awesome to get out to you Monday. Hats off to them. Is your 08 a SE or a SM ????

As far as the parking brake is concerned, that is the one of the only downfalls with owning a SE Spyder over an SM. I have never used my parking brake on my SM and always always always always leave my Spyder in first gear. This eliminates the need for a parking brake and with the manual parking brake lever on a RS/GS Spyder not much pressure is put on the rear rotor to make the brake very effective anyway as the brake pads wear. That parking brake needs to be adjusted a few times a year to make it an effective way to keep your Spyder from moving.

If you have a SM, leave your Spyder in gear and you will never have to worry about it. If you own a SE, you must adjust your PB frequently.

Lamonster
09-29-2012, 08:37 PM
My wife did that with my new 4-wheeler and it bent the frame and was a mess. I'm really sorry to hear this :banghead:

Kungfuspyder
09-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your Spyder, I hope things go quickly on getting your Spyder back under you and enjoying the road again. I have a 2012 RT/limited, if I don't set the parking when stopped it gives you a loud high pitch beeping sound that makes you look around for a large truck backing up to you and then find out its your RT that is making the noise to remind you to set the parking brake. Again sorry to hear about your Spyder.

Bumblebee67
09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks, I have a SE and I had just adjusted the brake again right before I left for Lamont's. That makes the 4th time I adjusted it since I bought the bike 14 monthe ago. The first time was at the dealer but when they charged me 45 bucks to adjust it, I quickly learned how to do it myself. The kicker is that when I got down to the bike, the brake was still set. :gaah:.

Bumblebee67
09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
My wife did that with my new 4-wheeler and it bent the frame and was a mess. I'm really sorry to hear this :banghead:

This is what I'm worried about. You can stand behind the bike and it looks like the right side is down a TAD bit lower than the left. Like it is tilted a bit?!?

SpyderAnn01
09-29-2012, 09:09 PM
That really sucks! I hope your insurance takes care of everything.

ARtraveler
09-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the incident. Let us know how it goes once your insurance adjuster gets things going.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Very sorry to hear about this..:opps::opps::opps:.....Mike

Littlebadwolf
09-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Wishing your bike a speedy recovery...I'm with Randy...Have the SM5 and never use the parking brake...just park it in first or reverse and it won't go anywhere...You must be heartbroken....I know the effort you put into your Spyder to make her look snappy..

Jeriatric
09-30-2012, 06:46 AM
That really sucks! I hope your insurance takes care of everything.

:agree:

Schnauzer
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow, :yikes:deja-vue, I had this happen to me in my truck, severe damage was done. Thankfully no one was in the path of the runaway spyder, it could've been a worse outcome. :thumbup:to the adjuster on a quick response.

cmar157
09-30-2012, 09:45 AM
would leaving the SE in gear when turned off do the same thing as the SM? Does the SE remain in gear when shut down in gear?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
would leaving the SE in gear when turned off do the same thing as the SM? Does the SE remain in gear when shut down in gear?

Un-fortunately NO, it automatically goes into neutral by itself.......I have encountered the same problem and even tho it's a pain in the A*S I carry two small sticks on a string and use those also as a precautionary measure........Mike.....:thumbup:

coz
09-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Un-fortunately NO, it automatically goes into neutral by itself.......I have encountered the same problem and even tho it's a pain in the A*S I carry two small sticks on a string and use those also as a precautionary measure........Mike.....:thumbup:
W T H :roflblack::joke:

Firefly
09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
So sorry for your troubles. On my 2008 GS SM5 I eventually just removed the parking brake as it was always problematic. On my 2012 RT SM5 I find myself using it while warming the bike up.... but it's push-button operated and therefor more consistent on applying the proper pressure.

A fire would have been rare since an ignition source is required... and with the Spyder off... there should be no ignition source.

I would highly recommend that SE owners use the steering lock when parking on an incline since you cannot leave the Spyder in gear like SM5 users can. With the handlebars locked... the Spyder isn't going to get far or build up speed.

Good luck with your insurance claim!

flamingobabe
09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
wow!!! that's a bad deal....Foremost seems to do a good job...keep us posted....we have to adjust my parking brake all the time....I never go anywhere without these 54470and as Firefly says..."use the steering lock"...plus double check that the brake is holding...every time....sorry to here this

Bumblebee67
09-30-2012, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;523022]

Un-fortunately NO, it automatically goes into neutral by itself.......I have encountered the same problem and even tho it's a pain in the A*S I carry two small sticks on a string and use those also as a precautionary measure........Mike.....:thumbup:[/QUOT

Hi Mike, I have actually done this before but with one of the wrenches I carry. If I park for an extended time on an incline. The last time was on Lamont's ride, right after we ran the Rattler and stopped at that little store and all had to park on that hill. And I had just adjusted the brake 2 days prior to that but I still didn't trust it. nojoke. I didn't even give it a thought about locking the steering wheels, that would have taken about what... a whole two seconds! That probably would have saved me a WHOLE lotta heartbreak. I just hope the damage stopped at the exhaust and didn't get to the heads , motor or frame. I can only hope and pray! :pray:

3whlLefty
09-30-2012, 11:49 AM

To nit-pik a little bit, the SE does stay in gear if you turn the engine off, BUT the clutch is disengaged just like at engine idle. Therefore, the engine won't hold the Spyder. When you go to restart you have to press the brake because you're starting it in gear and that's the time when in shifts into N for you.

The parking brake does need pretty regular adjusting. It seems that in you can get 4 clicks easily it's time to adjust it back to 2 clicks. A parking pawl like cars use would have been a nice touch. Wheel blocks is a good idea which I have never done yet. Setting the steering lock is a good idea especially if you can park next to a curb or something similar. I've never done that either but I'm going to start experimenting with it.

The electric brake on the RT sounds good but I'd like to see that mechanism before trusting it too much. I must be a real cynic. :shocked:

Neez
09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
So sorry for your troubles. On my 2008 GS SM5 I eventually just removed the parking brake as it was always problematic. On my 2012 RT SM5 I find myself using it while warming the bike up.... but it's push-button operated and therefor more consistent on applying the proper pressure.

A fire would have been rare since an ignition source is required... and with the Spyder off... there should be no ignition source.

I would highly recommend that SE owners use the steering lock when parking on an incline since you cannot leave the Spyder in gear like SM5 users can. With the handlebars locked... the Spyder isn't going to get far or build up speed.

Good luck with your insurance claim!This is good advice! I have a 2008 SE5 and ALWAYS lock the bars. Also, get familiar with the parking brake adjustment, check it often and don't leave it up to someone else. Again, very sorry for your trouble.

Lamonster
09-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I know this doesn't help you now unless they wind up totaling out your unit but the new 2013 has a self adjusting parking brake that never needs adjustment. :doorag:

Bumblebee67
09-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I know this doesn't help you now unless they wind up totaling out your unit but the new 2013 has a self adjusting parking brake that never needs adjustment. :doorag:

I was just telling a friend that I did want a new 2013 ST Limited, but this was NOT the way I wanted one. I already thought of that if they do decide to total mine out. That yellow color sure tends to grow on you. And now it comes in both models. :clap: I did not know that about the new brake, so thanks :thumbup: that's just another plus in my book. Let's wait n see.....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

MouthPiece
09-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Phew!!!!!!

Chris

bruiser
09-30-2012, 05:22 PM
The electric brake on the RT sounds good but I'd like to see that mechanism before trusting it too much. I must be a real cynic.

It works very well. You can't move it by hand. And if you try to drive off with it set it'll stall the engine. Like Firefly, I always park in 1st. and if I feel I need added insurance, I set the brake as well.

Bumblebee67, hope everthing works out in your favor.