PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

Groginator
09-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Now that I have moved back to the Midwest from California any recomendations on Winter storage things I need to consider. It will be garaged.:doorag:

NancysToy
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
There is a procedure in the manual, if you want the official version. Overkill in some aspects, IMO. The important things to me are fuel stabilizer in the gas, fill the tank to limit condensation, keep the battery on a Battery Tender or equivalent, and pump the tires up to max sidewall pressure. There are lots of other tips and variations, but those are the key points to me. If you store where mice could be present, put out some rat bait...the Spyder makes a cozy home.

redflasher
10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I always put a rag in the exhaust pipe(s) to keep the critters out.

Bob Denman
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
:agree: with what Scotty said; but I'd also add that if you can start and warm the bike up fully every couple of weeks... :2thumbs:
I like to keep the fluids circulating a bit during the "Dark Spell"... :thumbup:

harrypottar
10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
We have lots and lots of field mice around here, the little buggers get everywhere. Last year they used the poison I set as bedding in the Goldwing air box.

This year going to use those sticky traps and been told to put lots and lots of dryer sheets around the bike there not supposed to like them.

harry

NancysToy
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
:agree: with what Scotty said; but I'd also add that if you can start and warm the bike up fully every couple of weeks... :2thumbs:
I like to keep the fluids circulating a bit during the "Dark Spell"... :thumbup:
I'm not a fan of starting during storage, unless the machine is actually driven, and reaches fuill operating temperature for 5-10 minutes or more. You need to circulate the ouil onto all the clutch and transmission parts, and get it hot enough to drive off any collected condensation. JMHO

gypsy_100
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not a fan of starting during storage... JMHO

:agree:

dancogan
10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not a fan of starting during storage, unless the machine is actually driven, and reaches fuill operating temperature for 5-10 minutes or more. You need to circulate the ouil onto all the clutch and transmission parts, and get it hot enough to drive off any collected condensation. JMHO

:agree:, too! But I've managed to ride at least once every month since 2004 ... and that's in Michigan. We don't get the snow in SE Michigan that Scotty gets, but we get the cold. Nonetheless, it's refreshing, invigorating and a neat escape to dress warmly and get out on the bike for 10-20 miles. Good coffee halfway through, or when you get home makes it all worthwhile.

Frank G
10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I beleave the best way to store the spyder is to get it out and ride it!:shocked::shocked: An old snow machine man here.:yes: Just dress the part an go. Avoid the snow and ice.:banghead: There are posts here from other winter riders detailing the low temp before codes show up. If you are storing use a battery tender, well worth the money.:clap::clap:

boborgera
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
We have lots and lots of field mice around here, the little buggers get everywhere. Last year they used the poison I set as bedding in the Goldwing air box.

This year going to use those sticky traps and been told to put lots and lots of dryer sheets around the bike there not supposed to like them.

harry

When i store my Snowmobiles in my pole barn i use Moth Balls, I never use any kind of poison, I just want to keep away the mice and squirrels not kill them' a poisoned animal sometimes will get eaten by an animal that you might not want to kill.[cat/dog]

Bob Denman
10-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Put some tinfoil around the end of the pipes and secure with a rubber band... Easy to install and remove! :thumbup:
I just can't stay off the bike for an entire Winter... :opps: PMS is a bitch! :gaah:

Littlebadwolf
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Same here...I don't put ours up for the winter...I ride throughout the year unless the roads are icyor too much snow..I keep them on battery tenders though...

ARtraveler
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I follow the procedure Scotty mentioned. Fuel tank full, fuel stabilizer in the gas, and keep on battery tender. I generally don't start the :ani29:.s unless I have to move them around in the garage.

It's a bummer to have them sit for six months--but that gets the farkleing bug going I guess. When I need some :spyder2: companionship, I go polish them up.

I am guessing two weeks or less now before snow comes to my road.

Jbiancolli
10-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a couple of vehicles for winter storage. Stabilizer, full tank, battery tender, and drier sheets. Put a cover on and wait till spring. The drier sheets help keep critters away. Hate the smell and taste.

Bob Denman
10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I am guessing two weeks or less now before snow comes to my road.
TWO WEEKS????? :yikes:

We have GOT to get you and Linda to move back to where a riding season isn't measured in days! :gaah:

rc51ny
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
One of the best way's I've found to keep all those little furry critters out of nice warm nesting places is to buy a box of moth balls. Then pour a few into a plastic bag-like the zip lock type-then just place the bag unzipped in the truck, side bags etc. Yes it stinks up a bit-but I've never had a mouse problem. I use it in my boat and wife's convertible. It airs out quickly in the spring.

GeoffCee
10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I have a couple of vehicles for winter storage. Stabilizer, full tank, battery tender, and drier sheets. Put a cover on and wait till spring. The drier sheets help keep critters away. Hate the smell and taste.

Our Spyder will be garaged and covered until spring. In the UK icy roads are liberally treated with a devilish mixture of sand and rock salt, a preparation also known as "motorcycle dissolving crystals", ('cos once the salt spreading trucks appear, motorcycles disappear). Nothing ruins the showroom appearance of a machine quicker than taking it down a road covered in rock salt.

Please, what are drier sheets? :dontknow:

boborgera
10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Please, what are drier sheets? :dontknow:

Fabric Softener Sheets, There used in Clothes Dryers.

Five Bikes
10-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Store wheels up on a lift/motorcycle jack, or on the ground? (I did see the comment about max air in the tires.)

5B

SPYD3R
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
'WINTER STORAGE'..... huh, doesn't compute....

GeoffCee
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Fabric Softener Sheets, There used in Clothes Dryers.

And somebody noticed that mice don't like the way they smell or taste? That's an incredible observation! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Some marketing genius noticed that mice weren't buying them in the grocery sotres... :roflblack:

lyonsden
10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I rode all last winter. I hope I never have to stop riding it long enough that it needs any storage prep. It is garage kept but I have never even used a battery tender and it always starts never a problem. Me and my wife both have the gerbing heated jacket liners and love them. They work great. Actually we're going on a 3 day trip this weekend with 3 other couples and the low here Sat morning when we leave is supposed to be 28 degrees. :yes:Going to the American Royal BBQ in KC and then over to Weston, MO to stay in a B&B. Let the good times roll.:D

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Oh... now that's just bragging! ;) You lucky devil! :2thumbs:

viperryder
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

If you just run long enough to warm up the system it will draw moisture after it is turned off. :lecturef_smilie:

daveinva
10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Count me in the "ride all winter" crowd, thank goodness. Of course, winter in DC is three months of rain and two weeks at most of snow, so it's not like it's that big of a challenge.

Bob Denman
10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
It might be; if the rain turns to snow and ice at an inopportune moment! :yikes:

asp125
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Not planning to winterize it; I bought it to extend my riding season on the days it's too slippery to take the two wheelers out. At most, plug in the battery tender and the tires aired up for such days.

boborgera
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
It might be; if the rain turns to snow and ice at an inopportune moment! :yikes:

My Tri Glide will go in 4 inches of snow [carefully] no problem just easy on the front brake.
Ice, nothing melts ice except the salt spreaders. :yikes:

timeless
10-05-2012, 06:18 AM
:agree:, too! But I've managed to ride at least once every month since 2004 ... and that's in Michigan. We don't get the snow in SE Michigan that Scotty gets, but we get the cold. Nonetheless, it's refreshing, invigorating and a neat escape to dress warmly and get out on the bike for 10-20 miles. Good coffee halfway through, or when you get home makes it all worthwhile.

Where in SE MI are you ?????? I am in Harrison Twp nr Crocker & Metro. :clap:

Bob Denman
10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
4 inches of snow...
BRP makes Ski Doos for those sort of riding conditions... 54897

BuddaBelly
10-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I have pleanty of room in my garage here in Tampa Bay. Just leave the keys in it. You wont have to worry about stale gas.

Bob Denman
10-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Why what a very kind and generous offer!
May I also leave the payment booklet with it too? :roflblack: