PDA

View Full Version : MY DEALER IS SCREWING ME and I don't even have the Spyder yet!!

matusky
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok.... so now I'm a little pissed........

I saw on another post here that there was a copy of a Spyder pre-order certificate that stated if your order was in by Sept.15th 07 you would be guaranteed delivery OR your deposit back if not delivered on March 31st 08.

My dealer had my bill of sale dated 8/30/07, the money was in by 9/12/07......... I was in the first 2500.... I got the map with the first owners group info, etc........ I have the jacket, etc.........

But I'm a little concerned.......MY DEALER NEVER GAVE ME MY COPY OF THIS PRE-ORDER CERTIFICATE and I think it's because it states "Submit $1,000 deposit to your dealer to place your order" and my dealer weasled me out of $1,500 AND told me to expect delivery of my Spyder by May 31st 2008........... I don't have much to say other than I'm thinking of getting a lawyer, giving him all this paperwork and getting him to cancel my order, get my money back and go to another dealer, even if the MSRP went up, EVEN if it'll take till 2009, EVEN IF I'LL LOSE MONEY........ THIS SUCKS!

csmead
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I never received the official Cam-Am paperwork, but clearly on my form it said $1,000 down and guar. deliver by 3/31/08 or the $1,000 back if I wanted to cancel the order. Most posts that I have read, state similar story.

matusky
01-16-2008, 12:58 AM
I never received the official Cam-Am paperwork, but clearly on my form it said $1,000 down and guar. deliver by 3/31/08 or the $1,000 back if I wanted to cancel the order. Most posts that I have read, state similar story.

Yup..... exactly my point.... I just sent an email to the sales guy asking him to explain this to me. I'm DDDDyyyying to hear the explaination.

I don't mean to be rude or anything..... and the money really isn't that big a deal....... with all the options I got I still owe almost $17k out the door even AFTER my $1500 deposit.....

Money isn't the point........ it's the PRINCIPLE of it all.........

If they sold all the March inventory they were going to get, LET ME decide if I want to go to another dealer to get it sooner...... AND for gods sake, charge me the same deposit as everyone else and don't try to hide it by saying that $1k to BRP and $500 to dealer is standard practice.........

I would have known the truth if these forums had existed back when I ordered but the longer I wait the more educated I get and frankly I'm disgusted with it right now. Worst part is....... right now......... 4 months down the line, I've never even visited this dealer, did everything over the phone because they're over 100 miles from me, AND I've never seen a Spyder in person, never rode one, never went to a demo........ I bought this sight unseen because of everything I've heard and what I've seen online and in Popular Mechanics..........

And then I get this kind of experience with the dealer I've never met...........after a huge rush to overnight the certified funds to him to get the order in before 9/15 and then I'm told I don't get it till May 08? when everyone else is guaranteed March??????

Again, I'm DYING for the explaination on this one!

I will post the email in full when I receive it.

Everyone feel free to explain anything similar that's happened to you in this thread

wildwillie
01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
I know dude you really haft to watch these dealers, I think the problem is the dealer is writing all these deals and all the money down is going to BRP he don't get any money till the deal closes. So they try to get them selves a porkchop while everyone is waiting.Whats going to happen it they will hide that extra they got in the dealer prep charges someway. Its going to be hard to prove it cause all the dealers charge different, some give you brake some try to brake it off in you. I think your only recourse is to write a letter to BRP customre relations. But to tell you the truth BRP is in bed with them, cause I asked them what the delivery charges were to my dealer they told me that was CONfidentel. So good luck :bigthumbsup:wildwillie

Lamonster
01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
On June 6th I started looking for a first production run Spyder. I called a dealer up north of me and they said that the first production run was all sold out and that if I wanted to get on the list for the second run they would need a $500 deposit from me. I agreed to do that but I was going to keep looking for a first production run because I'm not very good at waiting. They said fine and if I found one to give them a call. The next day I found one in Tampa and me and a Buddie both ordered one. The guy in Tampa thought it was strange that they only took a $500 deposit and asked if I had my pre-order paper work because Can Am requires a $1000 deposit.

I call back the dealer north of me and tell them I found another first production unit. They said fine I'll cancel the order. That was the last I thought about that.

Last week my wife is going through the books and sees a charge on my card for $500 bucks back in June. Sure enough it's from that dealer. Now understand I've had no contact from them since June 7th. I call them up and jump through a few hoops and get the sales manager on the line. He tells me I am still on the first production list! I told him I've had a Spyder in my garage for three weeks and that order was canceled and from what I understand they were suppose to take a $1000 deposit not $500. He then tells me that's not how it works and that when they place the order they are charged a $1000 from Can Am and that I still had a order with them.

By this time I could see they were going to try and hold me to a deal that I canceled and he even said the guy that took my order was no longer working for them. At this point I dropped a couple of names and told him that I run SpyderLovers.com and wanted to see what we could do to fix this problem and get my $500 bucks back. I won't know if I got it back or not till my next statement but if I didn't I'll be sure to let you know.

aubierules
01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
that stinks...My dealer in Pensacola told me up front that the 1000 was a deposit and would go towards the purchase of the bike if it was delivered b4 the end of september. If its not delivered b4 then I get my 1000 back. do have the option to cancel, but the dealer gets the 1000. at least thats the story they told me.

sorry for u guys trouble maybe lamon can scare em by posting this crap on this site. AND maybe even better, threaten them with telling the story on ur scrolling marque on ur spider , now THAT will get em! :bigthumbsup:

matusky
01-16-2008, 05:36 PM
OK....... so I got the reply about the timing, the deposit, etc..... and I think I feel pretty good about it now.

What do you guys think? I just wish I didn't back them into a corner to get this info, but whatever right?

"I just got off the phone with my rep getting the situation straight- I think my ear is bleeding...lol.

Your deposit was received at a time when the program dates were still a little up in the air. They were still trying to get a handle on the sales response and production capabilities. Your certificate actually has "March 31" printed on it, but I was informed at that time that all units ordered then would be April/May deliveries. I was informed that the certificate dates on the actual form were not updated yet. My rep reminded me that I was actually the one who noticed and pointed out the descrepancy. At that time, I was instructed to cross out the date and put "May 31" in its place. At this point, the good news is that they resolved the matter (without informing us of any retroactive action) and your delivery will be by March 31st.
As for your deposit, you are correct in citing Can Am's requirement of a $1000 deposit. Nationally, we have heard of dealers taking up to $2000 or more. We always tried to make it clear to our customers that we are sending $1000 to Can Am and retaining $500 in house on the customer's account. Our dealership made a decision due to the newness of the product to secure the customer's place on our list with that $500. Sending the complete deposit to Can Am left the dealership without any funds for any aspect of recourse should any problems from the deal arise. Customers would be less likely to forfeit $1500 than $1000 should they back out. It is a common industry/dealership standard to take a 10% deposit on special ordered bikes (sometimes more).

So there you have it; one answer you're probably very happy with, the other one maybe not so.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. "

Derwin
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Good news for you! Your gonna get your spyder in just a couple months.....thats great!

I have to tell you that MY dealer in Benton Harbor, Michigan asked me for a $2,000 deposit. I reminded him of what they were asking previously, and he honored it. I only had to give him $1,000. But I ordered the SE5 model, and the certificate states that it will be delivered around September, so I have a LOOOOONG wait!

Derwin

matusky
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow, I was originally going to get the SE5 but was told of the long wait...... I was originally hoping for Jan/Feb because that would have given me time to do any mod's I wanted to do to it and play around with it a little bit.

I'm seeing a lot of cool stuff that people are doing to their spyders on here and I don't even have mine yet.......

I ordered the HID lights, trunk liner, 12v power port, and a few other goodies, but I'm thinking about doing one of the LED lighting systems and putting a GPS and Satellite radio on it like Lamonster did on his......... I'm actually talking with a credit union tomorrow about the loan for this....... trying to beat the crappy 10.9% offered by the dealer, ha!

I wish you the best in your wait! Funny that they asked you for $2k........ it would have sucked to have THEM sitting on that the whole time...... I love the whole 'non-refundable' part too........ nice of them isn't it?