PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest trailer an RT can pull?

BeachSpyder
09-28-2012, 07:18 PM
So I had this wild idea that I could pull a small camper behind me, not a bike camper but rather a teardrop or small airstream. Is that crazy? I realize that handling would sort of suck, but could it be done? I have the factory hitch setup. Any input and pics are appreciated.

NancysToy
09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
CincySpyder tows a teardrop. Several of us tow pop-ups. Mine is an Aspen Sentry. Your biggest limitation is weight...the Spyder's towing capacity is only 400 pounds. Throw a filled cooler into your teardrop, and you are pretty close to that with even the lightest teardrop, or even with many popups. Another difficulty is rearview vision. The wider, taller teardrop makes that virtually impossible. The popup bike campers are nice in that respect, since they are low enough to see over and not as wide. As for an Airstream, even the very smallest weighs far more than the Spyder's towing capacity...and more than the Spyder, as a matter of fact. What you wish isn't totally impossible, but it does have its difficulties and challenges. Choose wisely!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2012, 10:44 PM
This is the same question I asked myself way back when......so I built my own,...weighs 65 lbs empty and will hold 18.5 cu.ft.....I have put 125 lbs in it so I know it will tow that much...annnnnnnnnd I just located another car top carrier that I think holds 22 cu.ft. so I'm going to build a new one.......Mike..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure what those "Little guy" trailers weigh; but they'd probably be a good place to take a look...

pickelhead
09-29-2012, 10:30 PM
CincySpyder tows a teardrop. Several of us tow pop-ups. Mine is an Aspen Sentry. Your biggest limitation is weight...the Spyder's towing capacity is only 400 pounds. Throw a filled cooler into your teardrop, and you are pretty close to that with even the lightest teardrop, or even with many popups. Another difficulty is rearview vision. The wider, taller teardrop makes that virtually impossible. The popup bike campers are nice in that respect, since they are low enough to see over and not as wide. As for an Airstream, even the very smallest weighs far more than the Spyder's towing capacity...and more than the Spyder, as a matter of fact. What you wish isn't totally impossible, but it does have its difficulties and challenges. Choose wisely!

Someone told me the can am trl weighs 250 lbs, that would only leave you with 150 lbs for cargo.. something doesn't see quite right here.:banghead:

CyncySpyder
09-29-2012, 10:53 PM

effgjamis
09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
do you all think that as you maintain the max tongue weight that trailer weight is not that important, providing it is not a train. I have a tear drop cargo which many of you have seen and I have pulled it all over the country without any problems. The capacity of the trailer is 28 cubic feet and I have had it loaded, spare tire, fuel tank (4gal on cooler rack) and a whole bunch of stuff, clothes, tools etc.

Littlebadwolf
09-30-2012, 05:51 AM
This is the Little Guy I pull with my RS...No problems at all,,,hardly know it's behind you..

Bob Denman
09-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Someone told me the can am trl weighs 250 lbs, that would only leave you with 150 lbs for cargo.. something doesn't see quite right here.:banghead:\

YOu Math looks good from here... :thumbup:

NancysToy
09-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Someone told me the can am trl weighs 250 lbs, that would only leave you with 150 lbs for cargo.. something doesn't see quite right here.:banghead:
That is correct. The RT-622 cargo capacity is only 150 pounds. The GVWR tag on the trailer reflects the same information.

pickelhead
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
That is correct. The RT-622 cargo capacity is only 150 pounds. The GVWR tag on the trailer reflects the same information.

Well I guess my wife will have to learn to pack lighter. Maybe not taking 12 pairs of shoes would help.....:thumbup:

KelleySpyder
12-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Pictures please :)

Peter Aawen
12-28-2019, 08:05 PM
Pictures please :)

Sorry Kelley, more pics from those posters are probably not gonna happen! :lecturef_smilie:

The last post in this thread (before yours) is dated Oct 1st, 2012 and many of the earlier posters in the thread haven't posted for ages, some haven't even visited here for a few years!! :shocked:

BeachSpyder
12-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Sorry Kelley, more pics from those posters are probably not gonna happen! :lecturef_smilie:

The last post in this thread (before yours) is dated Oct 1st, 2012 and many of the earlier posters in the thread haven't posted for ages, some haven't even visited here for a few years!! :shocked:

This was a blast from the past! Yeah, very few small camping trailers available for the Can-Am’s or anything else. I briefly towed a 700# trailer that the builder swore was no
More than 450#, until I weighed it! It was a bit terrifying for sure! Best to travel light and make good hotel reservations!

Ben

Revalden
12-29-2019, 01:19 AM
I bought one of these last year when it was on sale for $350.00 and it works great. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200692633_200692633

EdMat
12-29-2019, 11:49 AM
I bought one of these last year when it was on sale for $350.00 and it works great. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200692633_200692633

What speeds and distance do you normally tow it? Noticed on the link that in one spot it mentioned 45 MPH and the another 55 MPH.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-29-2019, 12:34 PM
This was a blast from the past! Yeah, very few small camping trailers available for the Can-Am’s or anything else. I briefly towed a 700# trailer that the builder swore was no
More than 450#, until I weighed it! It was a bit terrifying for sure! Best to travel light and make good hotel reservations!

Ben

The trailer weight limit has more to do with ….STOPPING …. than pulling it …… Mike :ohyea:

Joel The Biker
12-29-2019, 03:36 PM

Revalden
12-29-2019, 04:39 PM
What speeds and distance do you normally tow it? Noticed on the link that in one spot it mentioned 45 MPH and the another 55 MPH.

65-70 mph plus over speed limits on the twisties. I think I'm going to order radials for it though, if I can find them. It comes in a box, easy to assemble, but getting the plastic wrap off the shells was a bitch. For the price you can't go wrong.

UtahPete
12-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Does not really answer the OP's question though.

Revalden
12-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Does not really answer the OP's question though.

Yep, my bad. But I've been thinking, electric brakes for trailer? Is clutch/nanny gonna have fits with a heavier popup or teardrop trailer? Maybe a Spyder Tech could chime in?

Mikey
12-30-2019, 07:38 AM
The trailer weight limit has more to do with ….STOPPING …. than pulling it …… Mike :ohyea:

Could always put a electric brake controller on the old girl!!!

pegasus1300
12-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Like Mike said earlier it's not how big can you tow but how big can you stop. You can get almost anything moving but you do have to be able to stop it:yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2019, 12:21 PM
Like Mike said earlier it's not how big can you tow but how big can you stop. You can get almost anything moving but you do have to be able to stop it:yikes:

Yep :agree: …. in fact when I was building Tow Hitches for Spyders, I would test them by pulling my Toyt. Tacoma pk-up ( 3500 lbs.), not far, but enough to check the strength of the welds.... in the past I have suggested using electric brakes, but I'm concerned someone may over-do the weight ….. Mike :ohyea:

Peter Aawen
12-30-2019, 12:34 PM
There are at least a couple of Spyder Ryders here in Oz who regularly tow electrically braked trailers/campers that weigh in somewhere around 700kgs/1500#'s :shocked:

Not saying it's legal or that it's even advisable in the craziest of universes, but they've been doing it..... aaand apparently without incident or repurcussion for many years now! Between them they must've covered 10's if not 100's of thousands of miles towing these things!! :rolleyes:

And there's another bloke in Western Australia who's fitted a 'Trike conversion' to his Spyder to increase its legal towing limit so he can 'legally' tow his 700 or so kg camper (he fitted one of those 'dual rear wheels with diff' trike kits.... so to you'n me it's now a quad, but apparently the Approval Engineer got it thru as a legit 'trike conversion' on a 'motorcycle'.... :dontknow: )

pegasus1300
12-30-2019, 04:15 PM
There are at least a couple of Spyder Ryders here in Oz who regularly tow electrically braked trailers/campers that weigh in somewhere around 700kgs/1500#'s :shocked:

Not saying it's legal or that it's even advisable in the craziest of universes, but they've been doing it..... aaand apparently without incident or repurcussion for many years now! Between them they must've covered 10's if not 100's of thousands of miles towing these things!! :rolleyes:

And there's another bloke in Western Australia who's fitted a 'Trike conversion' to his Spyder to increase its legal towing limit so he can 'legally' tow his 700 or so kg camper (he fitted one of those 'dual rear wheels with diff' trike kits.... so to you'n me it's now a quad, but apparently the Approval Engineer got it thru as a legit 'trike conversion' on a 'motorcycle'.... :dontknow: )

:yikes::yikes::yikes:Time and money you can do anything.

IHOP
06-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Yep, my bad. But I've been thinking, electric brakes for trailer? Is clutch/nanny gonna have fits with a heavier popup or teardrop trailer? Maybe a Spyder Tech could chime in?

I was thinking of the same thing of putting another axle and putting brakes on each...

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-15-2021, 09:32 PM
I was thinking of the same thing of putting another axle and putting brakes on each...

Another axle, this makes no sense to me .... since having ONE axle is no problem for the weight of trailer why would you add all the weight (plus weight of brakes) of another axle assembly .... :dontknow:.... Mike :thumbup: