PDA

View Full Version : trying to install easy risers Help!

major911
09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Well I seem to be in a jam, thought I could follow simple instructions. I have the grips off and controls both sides. I have free'd up as much slack as possible. Cut the bar on the left side funny thing the spot to cut was right in the middle of the slot in the old bar. made it difficult to cut and get riser onto. I have the riser on with the new bar segment trying to put the controls on (SE5 I might add) instructions say there's a pin that has to go into the hole in the bar. Unless I dropped something and lost it I don't see any pin or whatever is supposed to go into that slot. Don't have a shop manual so before you suggest that, forget it. I may have bitten off more than I can chew

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Well I seem to be in a jam, thought I could follow simple instructions. I have the grips off and controls both sides. I have free'd up as much slack as possible. Cut the bar on the left side funny thing the spot to cut was right in the middle of the slot in the old bar. made it difficult to cut and get riser onto. I have the riser on with the new bar segment trying to put the controls on (SE5 I might add) instructions say there's a pin that has to go into the hole in the bar. Unless I dropped something and lost it I don't see any pin or whatever is supposed to go into that slot. Don't have a shop manual so before you suggest that, forget it. I may have bitten off more than I can chew

The pin/knob is located in both control housings....take a flashlite and shine it in there you will see it protruding from the side in aprox. the middle....that is what goes in the hole in the handle-bar they sent you. What that does is it prevents the controls from rotating on the handle-bar......And there is plenty of slack I just did this on mine and I have the exact same Spyder as you.....As we discussed in numerous PM"s the only time you use all the slack is when you have turned the handle-bars full lock and you sure don't do that while driving it :roflblack::roflblack:Mike:thumbup: PS the pin/knob is permanent it can't fall/come out...unless you break it.....:yikes:

major911
09-28-2012, 06:50 PM
The pin/knob is located in both control housings....take a flashlite and shine it in there you will see it protruding from the side in aprox. the middle....that is what goes in the hole in the handle-bar they sent you. What that does is it prevents the controls from rotating on the handle-bar......And there is plenty of slack I just did this on mine and I have the exact same Spyder as you.....As we discussed in numerous PM"s the only time you use all the slack is when you have turned the handle-bars full lock and you sure don't do that while driving it :roflblack::roflblack:Mike:thumbup: PS the pin/knob is permanent it can't fall/come out...unless you break it.....:yikes:

OK thanks I think I got licked now. had to turn the dog bone around the opposite way from the instructions to make the cables all lay right. Actually i think it looks more natural with the bend down instead of up but anyway... plenty of slack now I have to put the new grips on I got the black iso grips with throttle boss from kuryaken any special advise for that? Ive never installed grips before either (sad I know). looks like I'll be finishing up in the morning ran out of daylight and there's no light in the carport.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2012, 11:04 PM
I just use spit and no glue.....after it evaporates...and it will.... they won't move unless you have to get them off........it helps to twist while putting the left one on......the right (throttle) one is different just push straight in......good luck......Mike