PDA

View Full Version : Why steel????

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
BRP are the plastic Kings when it comes to the Spyder. They really did a great job on the fit and finish of the body panels. :bigthumbsup: So why did they go with a steel fuel tank? Got any ideas? ::) :dontknow:

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
my guess would be from a safety standpoint.

regards,

ken zeller

What would be safer about steel vs plastic. Lot's of manufacturers are using plastic tanks and have been for years. :dontknow:

Director
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
What would be safer about steel vs plastic. Lot's of manufacturers are using plastic tanks and have been for years. :dontknow:

Are you sure about that Lamont? I am scratching my head trying to think of one. A lot of motorcycle manufacturers have faux tanks made out of plastic, but in every case that comes to mind, the real fuel tank is metal, usually located under the seat. Not saying you're wrong, I just can't think of one. It was always my understanding that plastic would not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards as a fuel holder. :dontknow:

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Are you sure about that Lamont? I am scratching my head trying to think of one. A lot of motorcycle manufacturers have faux tanks made out of plastic, but in every case that comes to mind, the real fuel tank is metal, usually located under the seat. Not saying you're wrong, I just can't think of one. It was always my understanding that plastic would not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards as a fuel holder. :dontknow:

Guess I'm not sure about that. ::) I do know my fourwheelers are plastic, my Kaboto tractor and my JD tractor is plastic and seems to me that I remember some other plastic tanks on a few of the trucks I had. I'll have to look into that but maybe I'm all wet about a road vehicle having a plastic tank. :redfaced: :dontknow:

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Do a google search on "plastic fuel tank" and there sure are a lot of stock replacment tanks made out of plastic for just about any vehical.

http://www.mtscompany.com
http://www.fluoroseal.com/intumescent.html

Plastic fuel tanks have gained widespread use in applications that include automotive, marine, construction, agriculture, power equipment, and all-terrain vehicles. Plastic fuel tanks are desirable because they can be formed in complicated shapes, are corrosion resistant, are light weight, have high puncture resistance, and are relatively low cost. Fluoro-Seal has developed two new technologies that can make plastic fuel tanks even better. One technology increases the fire resistance of plastic tanks, which enhances safety. The other technology increases the barrier properties of plastic tanks, which reduces the permeation of fuel through tank walls and enables plastic tanks to comply with current and pending environmental regulations.

LittleJohn
01-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I think the V-rod uses a pressure/thermo form type tank, I assumed it was plastic, but could be wrong.

MAXRPM
01-15-2008, 07:22 PM
The new 2008 EPA regulations are a gas permeable regulation and the metal tank is needed for that. The whole regulation is about vapors leaking from a tank and through the cap or breather. It is not that at cant be done with plastic it is just more simple to use metal because the standard plastic tanks and or cap will no longer be allowed.

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
The new 2008 EPA regulations are a gas permeable regulation and the metal tank is needed for that. The whole regulation is about vapors leaking from a tank and through the cap or breather. It is not that at cant be done with plastic it is just more simple to use metal because the standard plastic tanks and or cap will no longer be allowed.

Except for the Spyder gas cap is plastic ::)

MAXRPM
01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
If you notice it is more like you car gas cap not a typical motorcycle cap. Cars have had this regulation for a while now but it has just bee applied for motorcycles for 2008 models. EPA is not fun to deal with on the manufacturing stand point.

tfjunkie
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
yeah, I was going to say the nice folks at highway transportation safety or some other group that thinks adults are too dangerous for their own good. :agree:

2faston3
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Guys:

The Honda GL1800 has a plastic tank, and it meets the 2008 standards...

2faston3

Lamonster
01-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Guys:

The Honda GL1800 has a plastic tank, and it meets the 2008 standards...

2faston3

There you go :doorag:

MAXRPM
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
I checked my files and EPA has now pushed the regulation to 2010 so you can still use plastic. In the future plastic can be used but it has to be a special type of plastic in conjunction with the cap and fuel lines. The test is a 10 month long test period by certified testing lab to see how much will evaporate in that time period. EPA’s belief is if it has evaporated it has leeched through the plastic and gone in to the ozone. Metal does not allow fuel to leach through so new manufactured models are using the metal tank so that in 2010 they will not need to change the mold. Honda however will need to change the mold before 2010 on the wing. The way the plastic is extruded or injected is different with the new plastic and you can’t use the same mold. If you ever look at an older white plastic tank it is has a yellow tint to it this is from the fuel leeching through the plastic.

BajaRon
01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
All of the off road tanks are plastic. Have been for years. And they see a lot more abuse than a street vehicle's tank would ever see.

It may simply be that the steel tank is less expensive than plastic would have been. Has to be a reason though.