PDA

View Full Version : Things to ask my dealer when I pick up my Spyder

aperkin
09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm going to pick up my new 2012 Spyder RT Limited on Fri afternoon or Sat morning.

Is there a list of items that I need to make sure that my dealer covers? Questions I should ask?

I want to appear that I'm and educated consumer. :roflblack:

Some of the questions are just to see if my dealer is as up on things as folks on this forum... ;)

Some things I've picked up so far on this forum:

What updates have been done? Software and/or hardware...
Front shocks set @ 5?
What are the tire pressure settings? Should be on the high side of the range.
New oil and transmission filters? When?
Related to that is the new maintenance schedule.
New panel to make oil change easier? When?
Price of 600 mi checkup?
What kind oil did they use and what do they recommend?
What is their recommended shifting points?

Bob Denman
09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
That's a pretty good-looking list! :thumbup:
:congrats: on your new purchase!
:welcome:
Ask them to explain the rear suspension settings and how to adjust it...
The Cruise Control could probably stand a little bit of instruction as well...

ARtraveler
09-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on the new ryde. Your lists looks pretty complete. :welcome:

Arr MiHardies
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Make sure they go over the per delivery inspection with you!

brodyson
09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
A fully charged battery

Littlebadwolf
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
A fully charged battery....and make sure they secured the battery connections properly...It's a big issue with a lot of people.

Ivorspyder
09-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Ask them to run over how to check your oil and water.Good luck with your new ride.:yes::2thumbs::clap:

Ivor:spyder:

shrubs
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Good list. When I picked mine up last weekend, the dealer went over the checklist and a few other things. The one thing I didn't ask was what octane fuel to use as it was 165 miles home.

Check with service to see if they can get you in next week for your 600 mile check! :ohyea:
Exactly. :agree:

lookerjdc
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
gratz on your ride

also ask/check if the glove box locks when you lock the front wheels

NancysToy
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM
They should go over the PDI with you. They should show you how to check the oil and replace the cover. They should explain the features, how the seat and cargo compartments open, how the multi-function control works, and how the cruise control works. You should try the controls with the Spyder running and in gear, to make sure the ACS works, all lights work, the GPS works, etc. They should show you the location of the owners manual. They should also explain proper break-in procedures. I'd also check the tire air pressure, and shoot for a bit more than the specified 15 psi up front.

TuckMiddle
09-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Be sure to ride it aroud locally to begin to get the feel and to be sure no strange messages show up on the screen right away. Have you ridden a Spyder much? Many new owners have had scary trips home, the local jaunt should help that. Great catch on the #5 setting for the factory shocks.

Be sure to get the cell numbers for the maintenance honcho and maybe the lead mechanic. My one and only "message" was at 7 in the morning and nobody answered the phone!!

Have a good ride home and be sure to practice -it is a different, but very controllable vehicle.

:cheers:
Tuck

Cruzr Joe
09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Get them to show you where both fuse boxes are and how to access them.

Cruzr Joe

aperkin
09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Check with service to see if they can get you in next week for your 600 mile check! :ohyea:

They are closed on Mondays, so I'll have to slow it down and get in on Tues. :2thumbs:

Unfortunately it is going to be rainy this weekend in Dallas.. and gotta paint a hallway and bathroom this weekend too.. :gaah:

but I'll get out as much as I can get away with..

aperkin
09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Good list. When I picked mine up last weekend, the dealer went over the checklist and a few other things. The one thing I didn't ask was what octane fuel to use as it was 165 miles home.

Exactly. :agree:

:congrats: to you too. Fortunately for me my first ryde will be a bit shorter than yours.. maybe 10 miles.

aperkin
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Be sure to ride it aroud locally to begin to get the feel and to be sure no strange messages show up on the screen right away. Have you ridden a Spyder much? Many new owners have had scary trips home, the local jaunt should help that. Great catch on the #5 setting for the factory shocks.

Be sure to get the cell numbers for the maintenance honcho and maybe the lead mechanic. My one and only "message" was at 7 in the morning and nobody answered the phone!!

Have a good ride home and be sure to practice -it is a different, but very controllable vehicle.

:cheers:
Tuck

I've only test driven the Sypder around the big back lot at the dealer a couple of time since I didn't have my license. Seemed very intuitive to me shifting up to 2nd, back down to 1st, turning, braking, etc. Except for my MSF class three weeks ago, I don't have any 2-wheel experience to unlearn.

There are some less busy roads roads behind the dealer that I can drive around before I drive on the larger streets. And I've learned here not to have a death-grip on the handlebars but to just relax and enjoy the ride. Hopefully I can do that. :shocked:

aperkin
09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. :thumbup: Spyder Lovers is :firstplace:.

I will certainly create my own "checklist" to use when I pick up my :spyder2: :2excited:

If I'm lucky and the dealer is thorough, I may not have to ask any.

Bob Denman
09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Well the best of luck to you! :thumbup:
And we're going to be expecting some pictures... ;)

Buttsy
09-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I want to appear that I'm and educated consumer. :roflblack:

You blew it once you signed the paper to purchase it:roflblack: Seriously lots of good idea's enjoy and post up some pictures so we can remember what ours looked like when they were all pretty from the dealer?

d.o.spyder-rts
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
:congrats:on your spyder purchase and:welcome:to the family. Dale

MarkLawson
09-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Ask them about the right side missing grill. If they scratch their head and start trying to find one, or better yet, call BRP to ask about it, take that as a sign that you're dealing with someone who is clueless & then ask for someone who really knows the Spyder.

Buttsy
09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Ask them about the right side missing grill. If they scratch their head and start trying to find one, or better yet, call BRP to ask about it, take that as a sign that you're dealing with someone who is clueless & then ask for someone who really knows the Spyder.

I like it.............kinda twisted aand evil!;)

Daisyjoe
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM

BRUTAL!!! but true :roflblack:

Dib52
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
All good info above and good preliminary check list. My I just add one word of caution...DON'T RYDE THE BRAKE, or you'll get a pretty orange screen staring you in the face that will scare the crap out of ya! Otherwise congrats and enjoy!

aperkin
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
All good info above and good preliminary check list. My I just add one word of caution...DON'T RYDE THE BRAKE, or you'll get a pretty orange screen staring you in the face that will scare the crap out of ya! Otherwise congrats and enjoy!

Right... that's one of the great things I've learned here on Spyder Lovers..

At least, I think my brain knows what to do.. I just hope my right foot will listen... :shocked:

Blue Star
09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Carefully inspect panels and rims for damage. I did when I picked up my bike, and I still missed the rash to the rim when did the inspection. Good for me that I had a picture with me and the salesman standing next to the bike that showed the damage (magnified 800 times) to prove it. I noticed it a week after delivery, and they were not going to replace it until I showed the picture proof.

NancysToy
09-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Carefully inspect panels and rims for damage. I did when I picked up my bike, and I still missed the rash to the rim when did the inspection. Good for me that I had a picture with me and the salesman standing next to the bike that showed the damage (magnified 800 times) to prove it. I noticed it a week after delivery, and they were not going to replace it until I showed the picture proof.
Look carefully at the paint, too, and note any defects on the acceptance documents. I had to have panels replaced on both of my RTs.

JCSMOKE
09-27-2012, 11:34 PM
How many people at the shop ride or own a spyder? anybody on spyderlovers? and have they heard of spyderlovers?

ornerydog7
09-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Not so much questions, but go over the spyder with the tech. Make sure all the panels were properly replaced and are secured. Check for damage. Don't get in a hurry, check it thoroughly!!!!

SPYD1
09-28-2012, 06:54 AM
While all of these are good ideas...To me...the most important part is service after the purchase. I would ask if they have BRP certified mechanics and who they are. I always ask for the same mechanic which is cool for them because it makes that mechanic feel special. I would also ask to meet the BRP certified mechanic to begin building that relationship. Ask for a tour of the service and parts department. Have fun with your new ryde!

MouthPiece
09-28-2012, 07:22 AM
In addition to all of the above:
Although they will more than likely explain, have them go over thoroughly the option to purchase a service maintenance contract and what all it covers and doesn't cover. ($1,500.00) at my dealership.

Have them explain what limp mode is and what options are available when and if it occurs. I guess along these lines have them explain what you should do for any type of break down. (For me I was in horror and broke out in a cold sweat. I didn't know what to do other than call the dealer).

Chris

spyderdips
09-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Add to the list ....
BEST Warranty
How to connect battery tender.
Riding in rain/rain gear

DocRags
09-28-2012, 05:37 PM
All of the above recommendations are good. Also take a look at all the luggage that comes with the Limited...the frunk luggage in ours was ripped along a seam, which the salesman said was the second one that he'd seen with the same damage. (When I said the damaged one had probably just been moved into our bike, he said that wouldn't have happened since it was a warranty issue). They gave us a different piece of luggage, so we were glad we took everything out of the bike. Make sure you have the travel cover (should be inside the left side trunk), GPS & cover (back trunk). Our bike also had a large scrape across the seat that I wasn't happy with...the dealer changed that out for us, too. Welcome to the Spyder family! Ride safe!