PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Rt Offer Made

R30SHIRE
09-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Last night I thought I was going to be a 2 spyder family. I was dealing on a White 2012 RT. My offer to my dealer was 23,500 and they laughed. Said they were being discounted 2500 off list. I said are you kidding, they're being sold on ebay for 22-24. Well she said buy them off ebay. Now, is 23,500 off the wall for me to offer???? I purchased my current 2012 RT from them in March and I paid right around 30. Can't believe Can-Am only gave them 2500. off the already high price.

PMay
09-27-2012, 06:52 AM
They are going for 21,499 in Greenville Tx at Louis Powersports! They can do better..

When life throws u a curve, lean into it!

Bob Denman
09-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Let them think about your offer a little bit...
Good luck with the negotiations! :thumbup:

spyder3
09-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Maybe they want to make a few bucks where others are dumping to reduce inventory. :dontknow:

Buttsy
09-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I think the $ 2500.00 dollars off list from CanAm is an accurate story. Most manufacturers will run year end clearance programs to flush out the old to bring in the new.

Deeper dicounts mean the dealer is cutting into their margins on the sale. At that point the discount level the dealer offers has a lot to do with how many units they have in inventory at their dealership. Say your dealer is down to 2-3 RT Limited models but the dealer on E-Bay still has 12 in stock. Perhaps this is what you are up against.:dontknow:

It would be nice to get a deal that is at least close to the others out there, you will then at least have 100% support from your local dealership after sale. Buy it out of state or off E-Bay and depending on dealer philosophy....................Good Luck:pray:

PS: Often wondered I assume a "high volume" dealer will buy from CanAm cheaper then a dealer who sells limited amounts? Maybe this is at work as well?

Sarge707
09-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I say $4,000 less than list and No Fee,s -Only Tax and Reg!!
My $21,700 Base RT is going for $17,000 Tax ($1,079) and $87 Reg.
Look Elsewhere!!nojoke

Ivorspyder
09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I think the $ 2500.00 dollars off list from CanAm is an accurate story. Most manufacturers will run year end clearance programs to flush out the old to bring in the new.

Deeper dicounts mean the dealer is cutting into their margins on the sale. At that point the discount level the dealer offers has a lot to do with how many units they have in inventory at their dealership. Say your dealer is down to 2-3 RT Limited models but the dealer on E-Bay still has 12 in stock. Perhaps this is what you are up against.:dontknow:

It would be nice to get a deal that is at least close to the others out there, you will then at least have 100% support from your local dealership after sale. Buy it out of state or off E-Bay and depending on dealer philosophy....................Good Luck:pray:

PS: Often wondered I assume a "high volume" dealer will buy from CanAm cheaper then a dealer who sells limited amounts? Maybe this is at work as well?
:agree:Classic case of supply and demand.I believe $2500.00 is BRP,s discount.That means the dealer has to eat the rest on their margins.I see why a lot of dealers would not do that.I would not work for free in my business unless I had no choice and it was imperative to clear goods.
If its worth it to you I don't see a better deal about than Louis Powersports.It cost money to fly there and ride it home but that could be fun or see how much to ship that also might save you a lot of money.
In my opinion I do not think one has problems having a dealer service it.The dealers make good money on servicing.I bought my RT in Michigan 3 months ago arrived back in Florida.I have had no problem of getting the dealer here to service it.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Ivor:spyder:

Bob Denman
09-27-2012, 08:38 AM
They're not in business to provide you with a bike; they're in business to make money...
You can't tip the table too far in your own favor... a point will come where they have to decline an offer.:shocked:

Spyder777
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I agree on buying from Texas. I have recommended the same to my brother in Charleston, SC and he forwarded the info to his dealer and the dealer is either going to price match or buy it from Luis and resell it to my brother for + $ couple hundred. Whatever the reason, It is $2,000 cheaper in Texas. Why wouldn't your dealer service a vehicle bought elsewhere??? I drove 300 miles to get a killer deal on my Spyder. Local dealer said that he can't match their price, but he is more than happy to service my Spyder and he does price match parts.

Buy where it's the cheapest, service where they offer the best service.

denviola
09-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Do a search for 2012 RT on cycletrader.com, then sort by lowest price. Make sure you scroll down past the premium ads at the top of the page to the regular ads.
Several dealers are less than your offer, and it may give you leverage to get your price or at least come closer so you don't have to travel to buy.
A few weeks ago when I was looking and bought, one of the Ohio dealers had the best price in the East although the dealers in Texas are lower now.
I ended up buying on 9/8 in NY, closest that still had the color we wanted at less than you offered your dealer.
My local dealer is a small operation and they do not discount while others in state give modest discounts. Looks like the high volume dealers are more able to give the deep discounts or more willing to move remaining inventory.

PrairieSpyder
09-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I found my used RTS on Craigslist from. Dealer. They had it offered there less than their listing on Cycletrader. And I drove 300 miles to pick it up. I agree that if you want a new one, look far & wide. Also, an authorized dealer is obliged to service the Spyder, regardless of where you bought it.

spyder3
09-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would worry about a dealer not servicing a spyder they did not sell. They will make more money servicing your spyder over the long haul than they will selling it to you. Of course, you do want to make sure they are competent in the service department.

cougar
09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
If you fly to Dallas the Greenville dealer will pick you up at the airport and you can ride the Spyder home.

ARtraveler
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Good luck on your hunt for the Spyder. Let us know what you decide.

There have been some real bad dealers who took it personal that you did not buy from them and then took it out on the customer when it came to service time. EG. "Since you did not buy it here, it will be several weeks before I can get to it". I do not remember the link where this came from--but it was posted that way.

Thankfully, not all dealers are like this. Yes, they do make some good money on the service--so you would think it should not effect the service. When a dealer services your :ani29: it gives them a chance to develop a relationship with you the customer, and hopefully end up with selling you a :spyder2: in the future.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2012, 02:16 PM
TRY Bensalem Pa. dealer....just outside of Philly.....very large operation....gives deeeeep discounts.....will pick you up at Airport also.....and isn't too far from you........Mike........................worth a look :thumbup:

Cal777
09-27-2012, 03:51 PM
TRY Bensalem Pa. dealer....just outside of Philly.....very large operation....gives deeeeep discounts.....will pick you up at Airport also.....and isn't too far from you........Mike........................worth a look :thumbup:
I brought my 2011 from the guys in Bensalem. I can say they were very good to deal with and saved me a lot of $$$$$. Also, Lynchburg Kawasaki services paleface as good as they did the 2010 that I brought from them.
Rudy

Buttsy
09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would worry about a dealer not servicing a spyder they did not sell. They will make more money servicing your spyder over the long haul than they will selling it to you. Of course, you do want to make sure they are competent in the service department.

Oh do not worry you will get service for sure. But when is the question? Personally if I had a loyal faithfull customer who bought all there new equipment from me, gave me all their service work, bought all their accessories from me they would take precedence when it came time to taking a number for service. Now does that mean I would punish the person who did not buy from me, of course not but I would slide my loyal customer ahead and then get to the other customer. This process is not new to the market for several years field service companies (appliances, office equipment,HVAC etc) have given priority to customers who buy maintenance plans as an example. Have a plan move to the front of the line, no plan we will get to you as soon as possible. Not gonna punish you but you are not my "premiere" customer. so you will have to wait.

You can't have it both ways, you can't buy a suit from Wal Mart and expect to have the level of service and expertise that a family run suit company that has been in business for 100 years offers. The adult experienced family member knows how to measure and fit you, Wal Mart will offer to exchange it when it doesn't fit? You have to pay a premium some times but it can be worth it in the long run? Just my opinion but also the "deal" has to be reasonable, I will pay a premium when I know I am going to get exceptional value. Not 3-4k on a 25k purchase however.....3-4 hundred bucks to keep doing business with "my guy"............yup no issue.

spyder3
09-27-2012, 09:26 PM
THAT hasnt been my experience at all. I get treated great by my dealer and I didn't buy my bike there. It would be BAD business and just straight up stupidity to treat a customer badly because they came from another dealer. That should be looked upon as an opportunity to solidify that relationship so that the next purchase will be from them. I drive an hour to my dealer for service and i think they appreciate that also. I'll repeat, much more money is made servicing these bikes than it is to sell them as far as the dealer is concerned.nojoke

Star Cruiser
09-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Buy where it's the cheapest, service where they offer the best service.

I had all of my service done at the dealer that I purchased my bike from. i can tell you he is happy to service Spyders from ANYWHERE. THe dealer made a lot more money on my service visits over the 70,000 miles or so than they could ever hope to make on ONE sale. If a dealer is going to refuse service because you bought somewhere else, he/she is just throwing away thier MAIN source of profit. nojoke

Buttsy
09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
It would be BAD business and just straight up stupidity to treat a customer badly because they came from another dealer.

Yup I agree 100% with you............but I hope you realize that's not what I was saying.

Now does that mean I would punish the person who did not buy from me, of course not but I would slide my loyal customer ahead and then get to the other customer

It happens all the time.........those who spend more with any company will get preferred treatment. Say you sell and service freezers for a living. Your number one customer is Wal Mart. They buy 100k in new freezers and spend 25k in service with you. Another company say Teds Bait and Tackle spend 25k in service with you. They both call at the same time...........who do you go to first? To coin a phrase it would be bad business to go to Teddie boy first. It would be bad business to punish Teddie boy but you go where the money and the loyality is first. Then bust your arse over to Teddie and get him going asap.

Buttsy
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
If a dealer is going to refuse service because you bought somewhere else, he/she is just throwing away thier MAIN source of profit. nojoke

Refuse service..........don't think I have ever heard of that?

Except when a customer goes way over the top, there was a story on a forum (may have been here?) where someone said the service center told them not to come back, they were shocked. "The Customer is Always Right" I'm gonna call BRP and file a complaint then I am going to call an attorney:roflblack:

I expect all the technicians that I work with to be professional, competent, ethical and polite. But I will not let customers be abusive towards them regardless of who is correct. Customers have an obligation in the exchange as well.

Phyxius
09-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I got my 2012 RT-S here in MD a month ago (late August)for $21,500 + tax/tags/title and I then added GAP and the extended warranty + a 6 visit service plan.

They have a limited for sale now for $23.5k. This dealer is about an hour north of me. About 30 minutes south is another dealer and they were selling at MSRP when I bought mine and refused to even consider dealing.

2manycars
09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
If the 2013s wont be out for a few months they may feel they can get more from someone who wants their Spyder NOW. I am not saying they shouldn't give you a great price, but if they are down to their last 1-2 units that may be why they will not deal more than they are.