PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR CAPS REPLACEMENT.....

Lamonster
01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
.....AND BRAKE INSPECTION AND/OR REPAIR

Download File Here (http://spyder.brp.com/TrySpyder/ViewFile.ashx?AttachmentID=ab82d65e-dc1d-4e54-9df0-4c2826f60e50)

Lamonster
01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
A "Safety Campaign" bulletin # 2008-2 was released om Jaunuary 11th 2008. It is a "do not sell, deliver or utilize without having previously successfully completed this campaign".

"Problem;
It was identified that a limited quantinty of Roadster Spyder vehicles may have one or two defective brake fluid reservoir caps. This may create a vacuum under certain circumstances (such as when it is stored in your cold garage over winter or transported from our factory here in Canada) which could lead to absorption of air into the service brake circuits. Abnormal quantity of air could result in degraded brake performance."
"Solution:
Replace both brake fluid reservoir caps and validate that the service brake system pressure is adequate."

The actual repair will consist of replacing the brake reservoir caps and retesting the brake pressure. If the system fails to build the correct pressure then the bleeding procedure will need to be performed.
I am unaware of anyone having a problem due to this, I believe that BRP is proceeding with extra caution due to the newness of this vehicle and their commitment to customer satisfaction.

Pulled my caps off yesterday and one diaphrams was sucked completly out and the rear one was about half way out. It has been cold here too. There is some kind of float in them too that I'm not sure how it works seeing it's not sealed to the cap and one is more offset than the other.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/5619/1CIMG4404.JPG

csmead
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Has this problem been continuing or have you not returned your bike back to the dealership to comply with the recall? or... Have they fixed it once and is it still happening?

Lamonster
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Has this problem been continuing or have you not returned your bike back to the dealership to comply with the recall? or... Have they fixed it once and is it still happening?

The first recall was done before the dealer got my Spyder. This last one was just announced and I have yet to hear from my dealer that there is a recall. I'm working on finding a dealer closer than 800 miles one way from me. :(

BajaRon
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
It's all a bit odd to me. The Spyder diaphragms are designed in such a way as they will not displace much fluid even if they worked properly.

Another odd thing is that the proper fluid level is too far below the diaphragms. They would not be able to reach the fluid to do their job. It is unlikely that the diaphragms would have any effect on fluid level even if everything works as designed.

The last oddity is that there are fixed plastic pieces (I assume sensors) in the very place the diaphragms would need to extend into to displace fluid (which is their primary function).

So, with meager displacement capability, fluid level too far from the diaphragms, and plastic pieces that keep the diaphragms from doing their job, it doesn't look good.

In baseball that's called 3 strikes, your out!

Still, if I had my Spyder I'd be very unconcerned with any of this. I'd just keep an eye on the reservoir and ride happy!