PDA

View Full Version : Broken Mirror Part?

SpyRyd
09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I removed the right side mirror from my RT Limited this morning and a piece of plastic that holds one of the two wire clips (front clip) is broken. The broken piece is located at the curved, looped end of the wire clip. The front pin was very difficult to disengage. I couldn't find the broke off piece so perhaps it was broken at assembly...but more likely I did something wrong :lecturef_smilie:when removing the mirror and broke this piece.

Question #1: Is the correct part I need called a Housing PN 219800156? I found the mirror assembly on the Body and Accessories Console IPB and it looks like this part is item #60b. Don't want to order the wrong part considering this "Housing" costs $12.49 for one.

I was able to reinstall the mirror and it appears snug but I'm one of those people that if something isn't right (i.e., perfect) then I'm not satisfied but...;)

Question #2: What's the expert's opinion/advice, should I replace it?

I'll be adding some farkles (light mods) later this week and will have to remove the mirrors to do the install.

Question #3: What's the proper "technique" for removing the mirrors? I watched Lamont's panel removal video but he was partially blocking the view when he removed the mirror.

Help!! Thanks :bowdown:

stevedfive
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I broke mine twice. Yes, that is the correct part and yes, you should replace it. I broke mine reinstalling the mirror not taking it off. I just added a slight amount of lubricant and no more problems.

shelbydave
09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Lamont made it look easy, but the angle wasn't there... I ended up with bruises on my hands, and mirrors intact! :shocked:

After getting the service manual and following the steps, it's pretty simple now... So you want to free the front clip first, then push up to free the bottom clip.

SpyRyd
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks stevedfive and shelbydave :bowdown:. I'll order the housing tomorrow from BRP and I'm gonna buy a service manual as well. Do either of you know if the manuals sold on eBay are any good?
Now with the more detailed procedures, hopefully I won't break any more :spyder2: mirror parts. Thanks again.

shelbydave
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks stevedfive and shelbydave :bowdown:. I'll order the housing tomorrow from BRP and I'm gonna buy a service manual as well. Do either of you know if the manuals sold on eBay are any good?
Now with the more detailed procedures, hopefully I won't break any more :spyder2: mirror parts. Thanks again.

I think I got mine off ebay, BestManuals was the seller. GreenManuals also has them. If you have a 2012, there isn't a manual for that year, so when you order the manual, you get the 2011 but it should include the changes for the 2012 as additions.

stevedfive
09-26-2012, 07:38 PM
I have both, a CD manual from eBay and a Can-am paper manual.

spacetrucker
09-27-2012, 12:09 AM
If you new a copy pm me will send you my copy on a drive ok. John w.

spacetrucker
09-27-2012, 12:10 AM
That means any one needs a copy I can send it to you on drive just send me a pm.

SpyRyd
09-27-2012, 04:49 AM
If you new a copy pm me will send you my copy on a drive ok. John w.

Thanks spacetrucker (John), I have a manual on order. Also learned from NancysToy (Scotty) that the size of the front wheel lug nuts is not in the service manual :dontknow: :hun:. So, I'm gonna use a 13/16 inch deep socket which fits fairly tight to remove the lug nuts.