PDA

View Full Version : RT622 wiring modifications

Fire Bike
09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Is there a thread on modifying the 2010 RT622 rear trailer lights to work as brake and turns. The bulbs are there and I have heard it is an easy mod to make the ambers work. Searched for the thread without results. Any help greatly appreciated.

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
It isn't that easy. The trailer modules on the Spyder have morphed over time, so they no longer provide 5-wire output (actually 6-wire for the RT-622) to feed the extra bulbs. The 2010 trailers work with either 4-wire or 6-wire Spyder modules, with no modifications, but they do not work as 6-wire with a late version trailer module that does not provide the separate brake and turn outputs.

The best thing to do before you try needlessly to modify thing is to test the Spyder connector, and see if you even have the separate output.

On a related note, the 2011 and newer trailers do not have the extra lights and wiring, so modifying one to work with the early modules would be a chore.

harrypottar
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
You can wire in the turn signal to the brake/turn wire.

The light will flash with the turn signals but it will also come on with the brakes.

I don't mind the amber lights coming on with the brakes but you could change the bulb to a red one if it bothers you.

I can post you the wire color later but basically use a positap to tap into the brake/signal wire and cut the turn signal and put in the other end of the positap.

I also modified my marker lights to be marker/turn/brake lights.

The on all the time, then get brighter when I brake and also flash with the turn signals. I can post that mod as well if you interested, requires soldering a couple of diodes and a resistor and running the brake/signal wire to the markers.

harry

SteveMac
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
For a 2010, a five wire setup is used. Mid 2011s (not sure of the date) went to a four wire system. Much easier to wire the later ones to a non BRP trailer.

But for a 2010, save yourself some headaches and ad some bright LEDs that you can wire into the Brake light of the Spyder and use them as dedicated brake lights. I put my brake lights in the center of my non-BRP trailer and I use the two factory outer trailer lights as the running lights and blinkers.

I have a wiring schematic here for hooking a non-BRP trailer to a 2010 RT.

Hope it helps.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=395291

harrypottar
09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
For a 2010, a five wire setup is used. Mid 2011s (not sure of the date) went to a four wire system. Much easier to wire the later ones to a non BRP trailer.

But for a 2010, save yourself some headaches and ad some bright LEDs that you can wire into the Brake light of the Spyder and use them as dedicated brake lights. I put my brake lights in the center of my non-BRP trailer and I use the two factory outer trailer lights as the running lights and blinkers.

I have a wiring schematic here for hooking a non-BRP trailer to a 2010 RT.

Hope it helps.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=395291

the 2010 RT trailer module as separate brake and turn signals out, 2011 RT trailer module or if your 2010 trailer module was replaced ( a lot where) then you module only puts out combined brake and turn, no way to separate them

harry

SteveMac
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Oops!
Wow, I misread the OP totally. Looks like they want a 2010 622 to hookup and function on a later model Spyder?

Kinda makes my post totally irrelevant. (Red face) LOL.

Fire Bike
09-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I think I'll just add a centermount brake light and leave it at that . Dont pull the trailer that often anyway. Thanks for all the replies.

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I think I'll just add a centermount brake light and leave it at that . Dont pull the trailer that often anyway. Thanks for all the replies.
Why don't you just add the ESI/Custom Dynamics HMT brakelight to the Spyder. It is easily seen above the trailer.