PDA

View Full Version : How do you BIG guys ride the RTS ????

wildtexasrangr
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm 6'4.5'' 300 pnds. I finally got to sit on a 2012 RTS-se5 today. Love the bike ( so did the wife ). But have a big problem. It was so uncomfortable .:yikes::cus: The bars are in my lap and right up to my belly.I know I can put risers on and the dealer stated the comfort seat sits back 2 inches but not sure if that's enough(have to pay for the risers and comfort seat).Got a good deal on the bike I think $ 23.500.00 out the door , 6 year warranty, 2 new helmets,first oil change free. Need some advise on this guys.This is my first:spyder2:.

ARtraveler
09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
There are no risers or handlbar adjustments available on the RT models--only on the RS's. Your dealer is in error, I believe. The seat that goes back farther is an option though.

The new 2013 RT's have some handlbar adjustment.

Let us know what you decide.

:welcome:

Cruzr Joe
09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Double check the warranty part, i think a total of five years is the max, 2 Factory and 3 extended

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

napper39
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
the other seats you can get that will make them as far back as you want but it will make the wife cramped if you go too far back.:yikes::2thumbs:

wildtexasrangr
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I dont know what to do then about the bars.:banghead: I checked on the warranty it was 6 years. 1 year factory, 5 years other warranty .:ohyea: Can a person put on a set of other bars some how???

FrankPa
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
And still PLENTY of room for a passenger. Floorboards (SpyderPops) also help dramatically.

Buttsy
09-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I think it's the 6'4.5" thats causing the grief not the 300lbs...........ask me how I know? Like the previous post slide the step back in the seat as far as you can go and stretch the legs out forward as far as you can go?

Good Luck if there is one area that disappoints me a bit it is in the comfort area. Several swear it is the most comfortable thing this side of their Lazy Boy but not for me? Should I really need to add a $ 1000.00 seat and $ 600.00 bucks for floor boards?:dontknow:

MouthPiece
09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm 6'4.5'' 300 pnds. I finally got to sit on a 2012 RTS-se5 today. Love the bike ( so did the wife ). But have a big problem. It was so uncomfortable .:yikes::cus: The bars are in my lap and right up to my belly.I know I can put risers on and the dealer stated the comfort seat sits back 2 inches but not sure if that's enough(have to pay for the risers and comfort seat).Got a good deal on the bike I think $ 23.500.00 out the door , 6 year warranty, 2 new helmets,first oil change free. Need some advise on this guys.This is my first:spyder2:.

It can be done. Dwight Howard (6'11") and Otis Smith (6'10") who were with the Orlando Magic, both have/had spyders. With that said, they admittedly had to have a customized seat installed.

Chris

Dick Wells
09-28-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm only 6' 1" and 200 lbs. and there's no way I could come close to getting comfortable on my RS. Tried an RT, a year ago, and was surprised that it wasn't much better! My inseam is 33". Not at all unusual for an Ape, but, still, my wife thinks I'm human, and CanAm dealers tell me I should fit on a Spyder.:roflblack: Still, I couldn't get comfortable, and a check of all available floor-boards showed that non of them would move my feet far enough forward. Sooooo, I built my own. Got my feet down about 3.5 inches lower than the RS pegs, and about 18 inches farther forward. Reversed, and doubled the length of the shifter, made a jointed rod extension arrangement for the brake pedal, and moved the oil tank out about 1.5 inches on a new mount. All this neccessitated making some new fiberglass bodywork, which is still a work in progress. I installed 4.5" risers to the bars, too. Oh, and mirror extensions.

The results? I now have a Spyder that I can ride.:D At 73 years old, age has to be counted as a factor. A younger man might find it easier to ride long-distance with his knees up under his chin, but this Old Fart kept getting cramps in the front of his hips, numb feet and butt, within 18-20 miles from home, with the original riding position. Got Air Hawk cuishions. Didn't help. Tried a full long-wool sheepskin. Didn't help. Tried them both together! Didn't help. I'm convinced that CanAm hired a little 80 lb. Japanese girl to model for there seats on the RS, and her 90 lb. mother to model for the RT!:rolleyes:

Don't know if BRP has made further improvements to the RT over the last year, but, if not, then I know that I couldn't ride comfortably on one if I had the means to go right in and plank down the cash for it.

bloke
09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
comfort seat (2" further back) and the new available adjustable handle bars all the way forward and up and you will be very happy :thumbup:

Jeriatric
09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm 6' 4" 220 most of the time. Because you are thicker you'll most likely need a seat that allows you to set back about 2" further and up an inch or two as well. That will eat up some of the passengers space tho. Your best bet would be to find a custom (spyder) saddle company that will work closely with you on building you a saddle.

I did a drive in at Corbin in California and they fit me perfectly. About two inches back and two inches up. My shirt sleeve length is 35.5 and my inseam is the same. Just some numbers you can compare to. Hope this helps a little. PM me if you need any other assistance.

Jer

Dragonrider
09-28-2012, 10:26 AM
6'4" and 295# - no problem on the RT - Corbin seat +backrest and Seal Floorboards.

Desert Spyder
09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm only 6' 1" and 200 lbs. and there's no way I could come close to getting comfortable on my RS. Tried an RT, a year ago, and was surprised that it wasn't much better! My inseam is 33". Not at all unusual for an Ape, but, still, my wife thinks I'm human, and CanAm dealers tell me I should fit on a Spyder.:roflblack: Still, I couldn't get comfortable, and a check of all available floor-boards showed that non of them would move my feet far enough forward. Sooooo, I built my own. Got my feet down about 3.5 inches lower than the RS pegs, and about 18 inches farther forward. Reversed, and doubled the length of the shifter, made a jointed rod extension arrangement for the brake pedal, and moved the oil tank out about 1.5 inches on a new mount. All this neccessitated making some new fiberglass bodywork, which is still a work in progress. I installed 4.5" risers to the bars, too. Oh, and mirror extensions.

The results? I now have a Spyder that I can ride.:D At 73 years old, age has to be counted as a factor. A younger man might find it easier to ride long-distance with his knees up under his chin, but this Old Fart kept getting cramps in the front of his hips, numb feet and butt, within 18-20 miles from home, with the original riding position. Got Air Hawk cuishions. Didn't help. Tried a full long-wool sheepskin. Didn't help. Tried them both together! Didn't help. I'm convinced that CanAm hired a little 80 lb. Japanese girl to model for there seats on the RS, and her 90 lb. mother to model for the RT!:rolleyes:

Don't know if BRP has made further improvements to the RT over the last year, but, if not, then I know that I couldn't ride comfortably on one if I had the means to go right in and plank down the cash for it.

Wow! I'd like to see a picture of your bike. Actually both of you guys, with you on it if possible. I'm 6'1 280# and not experiencing your problems. Actually, I hope that Delta Handlebar on the new bike is retro to older bikes. That would be very ergonomic for long rydes.

Arr MiHardies
09-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Agree. Surprised you aren't comfortable. I'm 6'1" 240lb with a 32" inseam. I find it fits me nearly perfectly.

Phyxius
09-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm 6' and fluffier than some of the guys who posted here, I have a 35" inseam and I'm comfortable on the RT but, I'm also a 20 something lady who also rides horses so, I'm more used to that general riding position, I guess.

My brother is about the same height/weight but has shorter legs (I think a 31" inseam) and when he hopped on he was very uncomfortable and says he'll stick to his Harley though his fiance sure does like the passenger seat much better.

kentuckyguy
09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I am 6'1 an 320 lbs with no problems. Sorry to say but your dealer is wrong about the warranty. Your bike comes with a 2year factory warrent. Then you can purchase a 3 year extended warranty from BRP.

waytootall67
09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Im 6'8" about 260 with 37" inseam and have zwro intrest in the RT, mostly because of the rider position. On my GS/RS the first thing I did was take the seat off and took it to a seat rebuilder to have the "bump" moved back about 4", no riders, no floorboards and I am "comfortable" as best I could be, I last about a hour or so till I need to stretch. In hind-sight I should have had the seat built up about 11/2-2" to have me sit a little higher. I have put a gel car seat pad (secured by velcro) that brings me up a little bit but a little more would be better.

flaggerphil
09-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I think it's the 6'4.5" thats causing the grief not the 300lbs...........ask me how I know?

I agree. I'm heavy, but nowhere near as tall, and don't have any problem at all.

8 legs nz
09-29-2012, 04:51 AM
I agree. I'm heavy, but nowhere near as tall, and don't have any problem at all.

Hi I have a RS and I am 6' 10" 128kg's what ever that is in pounds and have done 10261 km's in 11 1/2 mouths

Ga Blue Knight
09-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Hey I'm 5'3" and weigh 180#'s and have no problem whatsoever on my RT!

Finally an advantage to being SHORT! Just kidding guys! The real solution for you all is to get a seat made or modified that will go up and back. Take two inches back and two or three inches up and you will get a lot more room. Sargent's Seats will custom design a seatwith your height, weight and riding style in mind. Corbin's are also pretty good but a little too hard for my taste. Also there are adjustable bars on the market that can be added to replace the stock. Floorboards are another option and Seals I think would be the best for you all since you still keep your right foot near the brake. Search the Forum for both items.

swrafey2000
09-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I just got back from a seminar at Central Powersports in Kissimmee,FL and according to them the new adjustable handle bars will retro fit to the RT's.The movement is forward and back and up and down.They are adjusted with a allen wrench and aren't electric.

Ga Blue Knight
09-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I just got back from a seminar at Central Powersports in Kissimmee,FL and according to them the new adjustable handle bars will retro fit to the RT's.The movement is forward and back and up and down.They are adjusted with a allen wrench and aren't electric.

I wonder what it would take labor and parts wise to make the switch? Everything would have to come off the bars, switches, GPS etc.

lookerjdc
09-30-2012, 07:23 AM
6' 4" w/34 inseam, 220 lbs - before I did anything to the RTS I was pretty comfortable

after adding the Utopia backrest ($289) and the Madstad footrests ($249) and I very comfortable

having the driver seat further back would be nice, but no longer needed with my setup

Tru-Blue
10-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 245 I put on seal floorboards and ordered an ultimate seat. I did all of this after riding stok for a year. Almost forgot about the Elka shocks I put on. Between the seat & floorboard I am about as comfortable as can be. :yes:

Patrick

Did I mention I pedal my trike when the kids are around? :trike: