PDA

View Full Version : bad throttle body

coz
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
after reading all these threads about bad throttle bodies, i have to ask, what actually happens physically to the t.b. does something inside break, or wear out pre-maturely. does it have to do with the drive- by- wire system? how does this part go '' bad ''?:dontknow::popcorn:

Illinois Boy
09-25-2012, 08:54 PM
From what I was told... it has something to do with the actuator in the unit. It simply goes bad and does not open and close properly; thus rendering the throttle-body inoperative.

My mechanic said there really isn't anything I could take a picture of to show anyone, because a good actuator looks like a bad one.

If I remember, it has something to do with the "warm start" on RT's. (That is where the RT will boot faster for a quicker start after it has warmed-up and has not been turned off for a certain period of time.)

Maybe someone else with more knowledge can clarify this in case I have this all wrong. Don't take what I said to the bank... but that is what I understood it to be...

NancysToy
09-25-2012, 09:27 PM
There have been a couple of issues. The 2010 throttle bodies had some bushing that were too tight on the throttle plate shaft. That could cause additional problems. The later throttle bodies had problems with the positioner (actuator), which is the device at the opposite end of the fly-by-wire system, that translates the throttle position into throttle plate movement. The positioners have had their internal coils fail...either partially or in total. Then they fail to match the throttle setting, and may not open or close properly. There have been three firmware updates to address and try to prevent the problem. There may also have been other issues of which I am not aware.

coz
09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
i've wondered about this for a while. how is the fly-by-wire system better than low-tech cables? seems like there are so many more possible points of failure .doesn't seem like enough reward for the risk. not that anything could be done about it at this point. cables have been used forever and have always been extremely reliable. why re-invent the wheel?:rolleyes:

spyryder
09-25-2012, 10:44 PM
i've wondered about this for a while. how is the fly-by-wire system better than low-tech cables? seems like there are so many more possible points of failure .doesn't seem like enough reward for the risk. not that anything could be done about it at this point. cables have been used forever and have always been extremely reliable. why re-invent the wheel?:rolleyes:

One good reason for FBW is integrating the throttle body and cruise control into one compact unit. ;)

sledhead
09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Sorry if this has been asked but does the TB issue still exist on the 2012 RT's?
I just bought a Limited and I'm wondering if I am going to have to deal with this issue?

FlaBound
09-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Having read the problems with throttle bodies on this forum, when I brought my 2012 limited in for the 600 mile check up, I asked my mechanic if he stocked them.
He smiled and said "wait a minute, I'll be right back". He pulled out an old one he had replaced, and told me that they run about $1,200 each, and he does not stock them.
However, he said in the earlier years the packing method for shipping them caused some damage to the end of it, and when BRP discovered it, they added a plastic cap to protect the the part being excessively bumped.
Apparently the problems have been minimized, and the 2012's don't have as much of a problem.

Not sure if this is correct or not. Just saying.

Pandy
09-26-2012, 04:29 AM
After the latest firmware updates, as Scotty mentioned, my '11 RTs has never preformed better. The limp modes that had plagued me for months (with no stored codes) are gone and I think the machine feels peppier. Then again, maybe I want it to. By any road, all my vehichles are FBW and I really don't notice any difference. My .02

Patrick

Tonga
09-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Does the 2013 models have the same throttle bodies?

Ga Blue Knight
09-26-2012, 05:10 AM
I beleive all (except RS and RSS) Spyder Can Am's from 2013 on will be fly by wire with throttle bodies. They are here to stay. This includes the new ST and the ST limited.

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Anyone who has tried to get back home after breaking a throttle cable on a trip, or out in the woods or desert, will argue about cable reliability. All cables break, and have to be lubed regularly. They don't like dirt or water, either. Mechanical/electrical cruise controls are frought with problems. FBW has disadvantages, but it has great advantages, too. Unless you are going to chuck fuel injection and go back to carburetors, chuck electronic ignition and go back to points and condensor, and generally go stone-age on the rest of the machine, the FBW throttle makes good sense. JMHO

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Regardless of the possible positive or negative attributes; it's now going to be the only game in Town if you're buying a new Spyder. :thumbup:
They will continue to work on it, and make it better and More reliable...

billybovine
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
There have been a butch of posts regarding Blipper Solenoid failure on GS/RS models. Going to throttle by wire will at least get rid of that point of failure.

Dragonrider
09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
My RT has always been hard to re-start. It's fine when cold, or when it's really warmed up, but in between - like riding two miles to the Post Office - it requires two to three attempts to start it. Hasn't failed to start tho.

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I think that some of the RT-pilots in here just tickle the throttle a bit to help with those type of starts...

daveinva
09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I beleive all (except RS and RSS) Spyder Can Am's from 2013 on will be fly by wire with throttle bodies. They are here to stay. This includes the new ST and the ST limited.Hey, if it's broke, don't fix it! ;-)

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
My RT has always been hard to re-start. It's fine when cold, or when it's really warmed up, but in between - like riding two miles to the Post Office - it requires two to three attempts to start it. Hasn't failed to start tho.
The 2010s had this problem. Crack the throttle slightly on the second try, if it doesn't start right up on the first go.

shelbydave
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Anyone who has tried to get back home after breaking a throttle cable on a trip, or out in the woods or desert, will argue about cable reliability. All cables break, and have to be lubed regularly. They don't like dirt or water, either. Mechanical/electrical cruise controls are frought with problems. FBW has disadvantages, but it has great advantages, too. Unless you are going to chuck fuel injection and go back to carburetors, chuck electronic ignition and go back to points and condensor, and generally go stone-age on the rest of the machine, the FBW throttle makes good sense. JMHO

:agree: I recall people talking about the whine they heard when the SE5 shifts... They obviously have either forgot, or never knew what it was like to hear breaker points, and coil discharges through the AM radio. :D

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
:agree: Set your radio to AM and it'll scare you! :shocked:

MidLifeCrisis
09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
The 2010s had this problem. Crack the throttle slightly on the second try, if it doesn't start right up on the first go.

I'm pretty sure this was addressed with the last update as well. Mine used to do that to the point of counting on it. Has not happened since the update.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

schnauzermom
09-26-2012, 04:24 PM
For what it's worth, the tech who replaced my throttle body on my 2011 RT said the first two upgrades weren't successful at eliminating the problem, but the latest and third upgrade has taken care of the problem. I was concerned about hearing that the replaced throttle body's were going bad again.

Sarge707
09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Does a Brand New out of the box RT (Like the one I,m picking up 3Oct) have to have firmware updates done before I drive off with it???:dontknow:

shelbydave
09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Does a Brand New out of the box RT (Like the one I,m picking up 3Oct) have to have firmware updates done before I drive off with it???:dontknow:

That should be part of the PDI when the dealer is setting it up. If it was sitting on the floor for some time, you may want to ask them to check the updates.

NancysToy
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Not necessarily. Some dealers seem to wait until the 600 mile service. Doing it at the PDI is best.

pickelhead
09-26-2012, 06:05 PM
All of the jets, ie. the F14, F15, F16, are all fly by wire, so I guess it can't be too bad.:thumbup: