PDA

View Full Version : Another Recall ....

hevnbound
01-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Just hung up with my dealer. They were just notified of a recall on the brake cover which is located under the seat. Seems that the earlier problem with the brake test failure was apparently caused by the defective brake fluid cover. The cover is puncturing the diaphragm and allowing air into the system (if I understood what the service tech just told me)!

It is not a simple solution of your dealer sending you the cover and letting you reinstall the new one. They have to run a test on B.U.D S. (the computer) to check the brakes (deja vue!!). Of course, depending on the outcome of the test, they may have to bleed the system and go through the same routines they did earlier. Apparently BRP is considering this as a urgent recall ... no more riding your Spyder, yada, yada, yada!!!

The covers are on "auto ship". In other words, the covers are already on the way to your dealer. I am assuming everyone will be notified at some point - probably when the dealers receive the covers.

Looks like another 248 mile trip to Virginia! Can't say I didn't know this when I purchased a first run brand new never before built vehicle!!!

matusky
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet, expected in May........

But how many changes and recalls have been done to the spyder since it began production, anyone know?

Director
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I haven't gotten mine yet, expected in May........

But how many changes and recalls have been done to the spyder since it began production, anyone know?

There has only been one recall prior to this one, also brake-related. Some of the units left the factory with the brake lines not properly bled. Therefore, there was air in the lines. BRP acted very quickly to put the word out and correct the problem, as it was obviously a significant safety issue.

Lamonster
01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Just hung up with my dealer. They were just notified of a recall on the brake cover which is located under the seat. Seems that the earlier problem with the brake test failure was apparently caused by the defective brake fluid cover. The cover is puncturing the diaphragm and allowing air into the system (if I understood what the service tech just told me)!

It is not a simple solution of your dealer sending you the cover and letting you reinstall the new one. They have to run a test on B.U.D S. (the computer) to check the brakes (deja vue!!). Of course, depending on the outcome of the test, they may have to bleed the system and go through the same routines they did earlier. Apparently BRP is considering this as a urgent recall ... no more riding your Spyder, yada, yada, yada!!!

The covers are on "auto ship". In other words, the covers are already on the way to your dealer. I am assuming everyone will be notified at some point - probably when the dealers receive the covers.

Looks like another 248 mile trip to Virginia! Can't say I didn't know this when I purchased a first run brand new never before built vehicle!!!

Don't think you need a tech to change a cap unless you do have a problem. I'm 800 miles one way from my dealer so taking it to him to screw on a new cap is not going to work for me. ::)

hevnbound
01-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Don't think you need a tech to change a cap unless you do have a problem. I'm 800 miles one way from my dealer so taking it to him to screw on a new cap is not going to work for me. ::)

Problem with that Lamont, is that they are telling me they won't give us the cap to install because they have to hook the spyder up to the computer to verify no air has leaked into the line and, if air is discovered, they have to bleed the system and refill and retest!! They are considering this recall as serious as the first.

Lamonster
01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Problem with that Lamont, is that they are telling me they won't give us the cap to install because they have to hook the spyder up to the computer to verify no air has leaked into the line and, if air is discovered, they have to bleed the system and refill and retest!! They are considering this recall as serious as the first.

So if I pull the cap to add fluid or check the fluid do I then have to take it to a dealer and hook it up to the computer? If so I'm selling this Space Shuttle :(

:click:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/1215135156.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7479316)

hevnbound
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
So if I pull the cap to add fluid or check the fluid do I then have to take it to a dealer and hook it up to the computer? If so I'm selling this Space Shuttle :(

:click:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/1215135156.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7479316)

:agree: ... Don't shoot the messenger!! 8) A recall is a recall and they hold the cards! Let me know how much you want for it?!! ;D ;D ;D

Spyderman
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
It would strickly be a liabilty issue. If they send the customer the cap and there is air in the line, then they are liable. Customer crashes and they didn't get the old cap to inspect. Its a bitch I agree, but the safety of all is worth the aggravation of a few. I can say that because I'm only 10 miles from the dealer...sorry your that far away...