PDA

View Full Version : Cold/Rough weather riding tips.

MLavore
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
So winter is just around the corner, and where I am (Norfolk, Virginia) is starting to see the weather dip into the 50s now. I am an all year no nonsense rider. Cold, rain, fog, whatever, I ride. The only exception being iced roads as I am ballsy, not suicidal.

I feel that it would be beneficial for everyone if we complied a nice big pile of winter/rough weather tips. I will start and feel free to add!

1. Be extra careful of cage drivers, they are not expecting motorcycles in the winter time

2. With appropriate technique, a motorcycle can be ridden safely at ~80% of the normal speed on most wet roads.

3. Always dress properly, if you are shivering cold or soaking wet you will not be able to focus as well as you should.

4. It may benefit you to keep a set of waterproof gear, such as the nelson-rigg set, in a pouch in your trunk. This has saved me many times and I
don't need to worry about which jacket to wear based on weather, if it rains. I just toss it over my jacket and pants.

5. When the rain begins to fall, if you can get off the road. All of the oil and slippery fluids will leach out of the pavement and make the center section of the road, and whichever direction the water rolls very slippery until a sufficient amount of water has washed over it.

6. If you do not have a pinlock or similar fog resistant visor insert, I highly suggest getting some type of fog treatment so you don't have to open your visor to clear fog and get cold air or rain in your face. Personally, I use a pinlock but have had good luck with FogTech in the past.

7. Be very mindful of speeds and throttle input when approaching puddles or areas of standing water, hydroplaning is not as fun as it looks.

8. Be extra careful in areas where winds are over 60mph or concentrated, I have seen gusts across bridges push cars halfway into another lane on an otherwise calm day.

9. Don't trust anyone regardless of the weather, yes the guy in the car may have looked at you, but that doesn't mean he's processed your presence. I have had a few "come to jesus" moments, the vast majority being with people merging or swerving from behind stopping vehicles because they're impatient aholes.

10. Don't feel like a wimp if you need to stop because the weather is too harsh, there are many people who do this and it is always smarter to minimize the risk, i'd rather sit on the side of the road than get rear-ended because someone can't see 20 ft in front of their car.

Silvervette05
09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
So winter is just around the corner, and where I am (Norfolk, Virginia) is starting to see the weather dip into the 50s now. I am an all year no nonsense rider. Cold, rain, fog, whatever, I ride. The only exception being iced roads as I am ballsy, not suicidal.

I feel that it would be beneficial for everyone if we complied a nice big pile of winter/rough weather tips. I will start and feel free to add!

1. Be extra careful of cage drivers, they are not expecting motorcycles in the winter time

2. With appropriate technique, a motorcycle can be ridden safely at ~80% of the normal speed on most wet roads.

3. Always dress properly, if you are shivering cold or soaking wet you will not be able to focus as well as you should.

4. It may benefit you to keep a set of waterproof gear, such as the nelson-rigg set, in a pouch in your trunk. This has saved me many times and I
don't need to worry about which jacket to wear based on weather, if it rains. I just toss it over my jacket and pants.

5. When the rain begins to fall, if you can get off the road. All of the oil and slippery fluids will leach out of the pavement and make the center section of the road, and whichever direction the water rolls very slippery until a sufficient amount of water has washed over it.

6. If you do not have a pinlock or similar fog resistant visor insert, I highly suggest getting some type of fog treatment so you don't have to open your visor to clear fog and get cold air or rain in your face. Personally, I use a pinlock but have had good luck with FogTech in the past.

7. Be very mindful of speeds and throttle input when approaching puddles or areas of standing water, hydroplaning is not as fun as it looks.

8. Be extra careful in areas where winds are over 60mph or concentrated, I have seen gusts across bridges push cars halfway into another lane on an otherwise calm day.

9. Don't trust anyone regardless of the weather, yes the guy in the car may have looked at you, but that doesn't mean he's processed your presence. I have had a few "come to jesus" moments, the vast majority being with people merging or swerving from behind stopping vehicles because they're impatient aholes.

10. Don't feel like a wimp if you need to stop because the weather is too harsh, there are many people who do this and it is always smarter to minimize the risk, i'd rather sit on the side of the road than get rear-ended because someone can't see 20 ft in front of their car.

What is this Pinlock insert you talk of??

boborgera
09-24-2012, 08:19 PM
What is this Pinlock insert you talk of??

Anti fog lens, Google it.:thumbup:

crossbowme
09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess you have to define "cold weather". There's a guy around here that drives his Triumph in the worst blizzards (3' +) and way below zero. All my machines are in a heated garage when he does that but I bet his rules for driving would vary from those who live in the South. Just an observation ;)

The Bakerman
09-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Great advice...thanks for sharing these tips.

btcherm
09-25-2012, 04:05 AM
thanks for sharing these tips. :yes:

Bob Denman
09-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Good Tips for pretty much ANY time of the year... :thumbup:
I'd just like to add that wet leaves on the pavement are about as much fun as a surprise visit from that strange cousin that gives you the creeps... :shocked: :yikes:

NancysToy
09-25-2012, 07:25 AM
I'll add one...dress warmly! If you get cold you pay less attention to the ride. Your muscles and brain also respond more slowly. It is much like driving drowsy. Heated gear is a great way to keep your core warm. Heated grips are a great invention. If you don't have them consider mitts or shields as wind protection for the hands. Remember to wear layers...and don't forget the longjohns. It will feel 10-20 degrees colder when riding (or more), so dress for something lower than the thermometer indicates.

Bob Denman
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
I'll add one...dress warmly! If you get cold you pay less attention to the ride. Your muscles and brain also respond more slowly. It is much like driving drowsy. Remember to wear layers...and don't forget the longjohns. It will feel 10-20 degrees colder when riding (or more), so dress for something lower than the thermometer indicates.

:agree: Being cold is just never fun... But it can be an excuse to go for a ride to get some coffee! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_26.gif :2thumbs:

Starrider
09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Appreciate the reminders. With these gas prices I ride to work as much as I can but I do leave her in the garage if they're talking snow.

Yazz
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Great thread! It's always good to learn new techniques.

Have another one for Y'all...

When riding in poor visibility, like heavy rain or fog, turn on your hazards. Blinking lights catch the eye better than steady glowing lights.

Bob Denman
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM
...And using High-Beams, instead of Low... :thumbup:
Anything to make yourself more visible!

NancysToy
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
...And using High-Beams, instead of Low... :thumbup:
Anything to make yourself more visible!

Don't use high beams in fog, snow, or rain. They reflect off the precipitation and actually limit your visibility instead of enhancing it. That's why they invented foglights, mounted low with a flat beam. Unfortunately, the Spyder fogs are sorta low, but they still use a projector beam.

boborgera
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't use high beams in fog, snow, or rain. They reflect off the precipitation and actually limit your visibility instead of enhancing it. That's why they invented foglights, mounted low with a flat beam. Unfortunately, the Spyder fogs are sorta low, but they still use a projector beam.

:agree: And that's why Factory fog lights by law have to turn off when the hi beams turn on.