PDA

View Full Version : Over heating and anti freeze discharge

Sierra Shark
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey there. New to the forum so bare with me. I have looked high and low across the forum and can't find an answer. I have a 2012 RT-S Limited. 300 hundred miles. Yesterday I rode it from my house to town (5 miles) on level ground. When I arrived at the store I shut off the engine and the bike puked out most of the coolant. :barf:Since it no longer had any fluid the cooling fan didn't come on. I got the bike home and proceeded to check every hose, clamp, the tank and couldn't find anything wrong. I also checked the fuses to see if the cooling fan fuse was blown. All fuses checked out. I refilled the system with the correct amount of anti freeze and took the Spyder out for several laps of the neighborhood. The needle stays just below the hot area on the gauge and the fan works as it should. The gauge used to stay at the half way mark. It's not puking fluid anymore but I'm worried.

Anybody out there had this problem? My dealer says bring it in and that they are not sure if this would be covered under warranty. SAY WHAT!!!! :gaah:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help. :thumbup:

Sierra Shark

NancysToy
09-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Is the cap turned all the way to the second detent?

Sierra Shark
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Is the cap turned all the way to the second detent?

The cap was at the second detent and no discharge at the cap. All the discharge went out the overflow tube from the tank. The other reply about a stuck thermostat is interesting. Any way to check that without removing it?

Thanks for the replys.

NancysToy
09-24-2012, 06:49 PM
The cap was at the second detent and no discharge at the cap. All the discharge went out the overflow tube from the tank. The other reply about a stuck thermostat is interesting. Any way to check that without removing it?

Thanks for the replys.
If the cap is not turned to the second detent, the discharge will be out the overflow tube. If it was at the second detent, and the gauge went into the red before the overflow started, it is likely a bad thermostat or a bad pressure cap.

FrankPa
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
If the cap is not turned to the second detent, the discharge will be out the overflow tube. If it was at the second detent, and the gauge went into the red before the overflow started, it is likely a bad thermostat or a bad pressure cap.

I just had to say... your analytical skills and concise explanations never cease to amaze me.

jerpinoy
09-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey there. New to the forum so bare with me. I have looked high and low across the forum and can't find an answer. I have a 2012 RT-S Limited. 300 hundred miles. Yesterday I rode it from my house to town (5 miles) on level ground. When I arrived at the store I shut off the engine and the bike puked out most of the coolant. :barf:Since it no longer had any fluid the cooling fan didn't come on. I got the bike home and proceeded to check every hose, clamp, the tank and couldn't find anything wrong. I also checked the fuses to see if the cooling fan fuse was blown. All fuses checked out. I refilled the system with the correct amount of anti freeze and took the Spyder out for several laps of the neighborhood. The needle stays just below the hot area on the gauge and the fan works as it should. The gauge used to stay at the half way mark. It's not puking fluid anymore but I'm worried.

Anybody out there had this problem? My dealer says bring it in and that they are not sure if this would be covered under warranty. SAY WHAT!!!! :gaah:

I would have the dealer check it out. She should be under the warranty
Jerry:yes:
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help. :thumbup:

Sierra Shark
:yes:

Sonrisa
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I had the exact same problem with my 2010 RTS. We went to the Durango event back in June. Before leaving I checked and rechecked all working systems to make sure no problems would occur. When we were in Alburquerque(sp?) engine spilled antifreeze after a trip to Madrid, NM. Thought it might be overflo due to too much antifreeze that I put in. Happenned again the day before we were to go up to Durango. Now I am worried. Filled with more antifreeze and waited until the next day and took to the dealer in Alburquerque. He couldn't find anything wrong, but suggested it was my block off plate I installed from spyderpops that was causing the problem. Since I was so far from home I left the plate off and continued on to Durango and didn't have a problem. I spoke with Pop and Lamont about the problem. Long story but Lamont mentioned about the cap not being on correctly and that would cause the overflo. I put the plate back and have not had a problem since. That was about 4000 miles ago.

Sierra Shark
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I just had to say... your analytical skills and concise explanations never cease to amaze me.
:agree: Thanks to all of you that responded. I spoke with dealer (who is about 250 miles away). They freaked when they heard the problem and sent a driver with a trailer to pick up the Spyder and take it back to their shop. They are going to install a new thermostat, pressure cap and pressure check the system. Now that's service !!!! :clap::bowdown:

A note to all RT-S owners... my dealer says they have seen this several times. Sometimes with really bad results.

Thanks again. I think I have found a good community of fellow owners. Very friendly and helpful. :thumbup: