PDA

View Full Version : Scary discovery

BlueLine
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Love my RT, but I've been finding some things that are a little scary, and other owners need to check. Both my friend and I purchased RTs in July from a dealerships two different locations. My friends RT doesn't seem to suffer from the same oversights and problems that I've encountered so I feel it's a setup problem at my bikes satellite dealership. I'm sure there are many dealerships that really don't check set ups as closely as they should, and we the riders and owners have to deal with the problems down the road, and on the road.
Here's my latest discovery in a building list: Front wheel brake line routing. Hopefully I'll be able to get my photos to upload so you can see what to look for. BRP has thoughtfully engineered and welded a "U" shaped routing guide and restraint on the rear fender supports. The brake line should be routed and cradled on the inside of this support, mine wasn't. Instead it was routed behind on not one side but both left and right wheels. HERE'S the SCARY part, if the brake line isn't in the guide it will lay against the rotating brake disc, and eventually lead to a catastrophic event. I caught mine as it was wearing thru the plastic sleeve over the braided white brake hose. The truly scary thing was I just returned from Lamont's BBQ rides over the Rattler, Hellbenders and the Tail of the Dragon. It would not have been the places to have brake failure. Do yourself a favor, check to make sure yours is routed correctly, some of our dealers aren't ,the life you save may be your own.5409054088
The photo on the left is the hose being routed correctly, the one on the right was mine, which is incorrect.
You can get a good look at yours by fully turning the wheels right or left.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up....I'm headed out to check mine....Although when I had my fenders off to weld supports onto the bracket bases everything looked good.....:shocked:....Mike....:thumbup:......And as long as we are giving warnings if you live with less than smooth roads your fender brackets are going to break at the bottom where they attach to the hub.....not "IF" ...but "WHEN"....I had some 1/2 inch wide x 3/16 thick bar stock ..2 pieces to each bracket ( 8 total) welded on.....they didn't rust out just "fatigue " snapped.

TuckMiddle
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Good catch
Mine are fine
Only problem was matching up the pics with what I was
Looking at
Getting old and stupid at the same time make things real
Tough sometimes
Thanks
Tuck

BlueLine
09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Good point TuckMiddle, the photos were taken from the front looking aft. You have two fender struts on each fender, the "U" guide is welded to the lower aft strut. The braided brake line should extend upward from the caliper, then thru the guide, then makes a turn thru the Adel Clamp (The black robber lined clamp) then routes inward thru the "A" Arm suspension.
Just make sure yours passes thru the inside of the "U" and you should be good. If it doesn't you have to undo the Adel clamp (Metric #8 top and bottom) to give yourself enough slack to reposition the hose inside the "U" then reattach the Adel clamp loosely.After reattaching the Adel clamp move your wheels full left and right to assure you have enough slack to allow full travel, then retighten the Adel. Sorry for the confusion;)

TuckMiddle
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Good point TuckMiddle, the photos were taken from the front looking aft. You have two fender struts on each fender, the "U" guide is welded to the lower aft strut. The braided brake line should extend upward from the caliper, then thru the guide, then makes a turn thru the Adel Clamp (The black robber lined clamp) then routes inward thru the "A" Arm suspension.
Just make sure yours passes thru the inside of the "U" and you should be good. If it doesn't you have to undo the Adel clamp (Metric #8 top and bottom) to give yourself enough slack to reposition the hose inside the "U" then reattach the Adel clamp loosely.After reattaching the Adel clamp move your wheels full left and right to assure you have enough slack to allow full travel, then retighten the Adel. Sorry for the confusion;)

Thanks for the amplification, but I finally figured it out. I was trying to match the left wheel up with the pic and eventually got it right. I've never had a brake failure from a rubbing line, glad you brought it up. Think folks normally ignore them until something makes em act up.

Best to ya:cheers:

Tuck

ornerydog7
09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Went out and check mine and sure enough one of the lines was not routed correctly. Easy fix though. Makes me wonder what else may not have been done correctly:gaah:. Thanks again for sharing.

Ralph

bmwlarry
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Checked mine and they are fine, thanks for the heads up! FYI, you can easily check the routing from the outside looking in.