PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure

lascar
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Sunday I want to start my RT . After one second my starter was on I listen a very big noise (CRACK !!!!) inside the engine and this one dont start . I try a second time and nothing ,the starter run but not the engine . I am very disapointed with my spyder .................A so expensive machine with a so poor fiability .
I will put it at the garage and may be sold it .

When my RT was good I was so happy to drive it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I think that BRP for me will be finished ....................No comment.

ARtraveler
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Does not sound like a good way to start off the day. Are you going to take it in to the shop to see what the problem might be? It could be something simple. More details if possible would be good for some of the "experts" to mull over.

Jeriatric
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Does not sound like a good way to start off the day. Are you going to take it in to the shop to see what the problem might be? It could be something simple. More details if possible would be good for some of the "experts" to mull over.

First guess is starter shaft or gear failure. That would allow the starter to spin on the second try and could easily account for the noise he heard on his first attempt.

Bob Denman
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
:shocked: That does not sound good at all! Is your Spyder still covered under the warranty? If it is; I'd take it to the dealer and demand that they repair it.
Good Luck; please let us know what happens next! :thumbup:

Mr. White
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Good luck. Been there, done that! No fun.

:spyder2:

lascar
10-06-2012, 09:17 AM
yeah the BEAST is back!!!!!!!!!!.
Failure is resolved. Out of fuel just ............. My indicator told me that the tank still contained the precious liquid, but the tank was empty. This is the clutch is turned on which "slammed" and caused my anxiety to engine failure. All's well that ends well.

Illinois Boy
10-06-2012, 08:44 PM
It took you 10 days to find out you didn't have fuel in the tank?

lascar
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
It took you 10 days to find out you didn't have fuel in the tank?

He I'm not an idiot, may be my English is not good but in my craft aeronautics think we know. it was the gauge inside the tank that sent the message: no gasoline ;dashboard indicator showed a full one-quarter.
it is not easy for us to write in your language and I think if you did in mine I laugh well.:roflblack:

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
He I'm not an idiot, may be my English is not good but in my craft aeronautics think we know. it was the gauge inside the tank that sent the message: no gasoline ;dashboard indicator showed a full one-quarter.
it is not easy for us to write in your language and I think if you did in mine I laugh well.:roflblack:

Don't sweat the small stuff. Glad it was something so simple. Hope you continue posting.

warp10
10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Your English is fine. I have no problem understanding you. Glad it was a simple fix.

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I am very glad to hear that this was a problem that is easily solved! :thumbup: :congrats:

Campverdefela
10-07-2012, 06:51 PM

I'll bet his French is just as bad, good riding!

MouthPiece
10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
English challenged or not, perhaps it may have been a good idea to find out or verify what was wrong with your spyder before "dumping on it" (an American slang) and wanting to get rid of it.

Chris

pwilbarger
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Okay here's my gas story. I have owned my RT for over two years. In Aug we headed out for vaca to New England and when we got to the first gas stop I turned the key four times but the seat would not open. I pried up the corner of the seat and got gas in it. I called the closest dealer which happened to be where I bought it. They said bring over and they'll look at it but if they need a part like the cable they wouldn't be able to help. Drove the 18 miles back and the service manager came right out, turned the key and up popped the seat. GAAH! You guessed it, I was turning it the wrong way and had opened the frunk. Red faced we left and went to lunch and no further such incidence on the rest of the 2000 miles.

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPYD3R
10-07-2012, 07:20 PM
bon jour mon ami....
your English is as good as my French...
just enjoy your SPYDER, and don't worry what others say...
55069 :yes:

lascar
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys !!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I turned the key four times but the seat would not open. I pried up the corner of the seat and got gas in it. GAAH! You guessed it, I was turning it the wrong way and had opened the frunk.
That happened to me once early on in the ownership timeline... The Missus caught the mistake and she hasn't forgotten about it yet!! :gaah: :opps:

Anakrid46
10-10-2012, 08:43 AM
yeah the BEAST is back!!!!!!!!!!.
Failure is resolved. Out of fuel just ............. My indicator told me that the tank still contained the precious liquid, but the tank was empty. This is the clutch is turned on which "slammed" and caused my anxiety to engine failure. All's well that ends well.
What a fine resolution to your problem. I too would have thought dire thoughts at hearing loud clunks from my Rt's engine upon trying to start. Got to love the technology of our Can Am's but sometimes it gives us pause! A good scare is sometimes good for us--as I'm sure you know. Take care and enjoy that "flying wedge" as I call mine.

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 09:10 AM
:welcome:

Mr. White
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Sunday I want to start my RT . After one second my starter was on I listen a very big noise (CRACK !!!!) inside the engine and this one dont start . I try a second time and nothing ,the starter run but not the engine . I am very disapointed with my spyder .................A so expensive machine with a so poor fiability .
I will put it at the garage and may be sold it .

When my RT was good I was so happy to drive it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I think that BRP for me will be finished ....................No comment.

I am glad it was only a fuel problem and not serious....but what caused the CRACK you speak of....any idea why no fuel would cause this noise?

:spyder2:

StanProff
10-10-2012, 02:12 PM

All you need to do is type a little slower and we can read it fine :yes:.
I always go by the odometer and not the gas gage. reset trip meter and at 140 or 150 miles i get gas no matter what the gage says.
enjoy you spyder.

Dar
10-11-2012, 11:32 PM
I always go by the odometer and not the gas gage. reset trip meter and at 140 or 150 miles i get gas no matter what the gage says.
enjoy you spyder.

I would be walking way before then!:mad:

lascar
10-17-2012, 04:15 AM
enjoy you spyder.

Hi,
My tank was not empty but the internal gauge say "empty" to the fuel pump .And like that no start !!!!
Bye bye .

Phyxius
10-17-2012, 08:24 AM

I don't know about the other guy but if I wrote in french no one would be able to understand me. :) I'm happy to hear that your spyder is healthy! Do you have the analog gauges? I've seen a few posts that say some people have a lot of trouble with these gauges. Disconnecting them defaults to the digital gauges instead which are said to be much more accurate.

Oops, just saw this:

Hi,
My tank was not empty but the internal gauge say "empty" to the fuel pump .And like that no start !!!!
Bye bye .

I misunderstood I thought your tank was empty but the gauge showed 1/4 full. It sounds like the dealership fixes the internal gauge? Yay!