PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Mount???

SharonL
09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi -- I'm still in the looking phase of Can Am ownership and wondering if you have any problems getting on and off of the Spyder. I am specifically looking at the RT model, but also considering the new ST. It will be a little while before I can get one because I need to sell my current ride.

I don't think I will have any problems swinging my leg up and over, but am wondering if you stand on the foot peg to do it? I am quite a hefty lady and I think I would be afraid to stand on it, but would appreciate a little input.

Thanks for not thinking I'm being silly...I still haven't test-ridden one yet, and maybe this question has been holding me back. I have been riding for over 40 years, so I'm no spring chicken either...62 years young.

Like I said, thanks!

Sharon:opps:

lookerjdc
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I have a 2012 RT-S, have lower back problems, knee problems, etc, and what I do is actually step on the passenger footrest and step up and over the Spyder - makes it very easy to mount

Arr MiHardies
09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I've found it easier to mount than other bikes. I just stand on the footpeg then swing my other leg over.

Flight Risk
09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi -- I'm still in the looking phase of Can Am ownership and wondering if you have any problems getting on and off of the Spyder. I am specifically looking at the RT model, but also considering the new ST. It will be a little while before I can get one because I need to sell my current ride.

I don't think I will have any problems swinging my leg up and over, but am wondering if you stand on the foot peg to do it? I am quite a hefty lady and I think I would be afraid to stand on it, but would appreciate a little input.

Thanks for not thinking I'm being silly...I still haven't test-ridden one yet, and maybe this question has been holding me back. I have been riding for over 40 years, so I'm no spring chicken either...62 years young.

Like I said, thanks!

I put Seal Floor Boards on my RTS and made slinging a leg over the saddle even easier. They are also a sponsor on this site.

Good luck!

mick ruhdorf
09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
hi im 290 lbs and i stand on the footpegs to get on its easy. buy , ride , enjoy

cheers mick

fyrertuck
09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I am 6,3 290 and my wife is 5,4 270 we both use the foot peg to mount. I found this to be the best way to go. I have knee and back problems.

So for a ST or RT I love my RT, I have been ridinf for 30 years:doorag: and I am having the best time of my life. :thumbup:

Go for a couple of test rides.

zrc
09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Im a vertically challenged male and I have had few to no issues on the mounting side, occasionally when I am lazy I drag/slide over mainly due to raw lazy than issues, but even in layered dress for cold rides I get on and off fairly well, and standing on any of my 3 sets of pegs has never been an issue.

You are much more of a seasoned rider than I am (I am almost done with year 1!), and you are quite young at heart and from your avatar dont look your age!

SharonL
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
You have all put me at ease about test riding one now...thank you for being so honest with your answers. I have been stressing over this for some time now and putting it off. I guess I was afraid of it tipping over, even though I know it weighs a lot. Thanks again. I will let you all know when it happens.

Sharon:ohyea:

ARtraveler
09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Like others posted. I have seal floorboards and just stand on the board towards the rear and put my leg over the seat. No problems getting on or off and I also have back and hip issues.

shelbydave
09-24-2012, 02:04 PM
I haven't been on a motorcycle for 30 years, and if I couldn't use the footpegs to get on my Spyder, I'd have to carry a stool... or take up Yoga...:shocked:

This thing is 10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag!

Tony Holbrook
09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
You have all put me at ease about test riding one now...thank you for being so honest with your answers. I have been stressing over this for some time now and putting it off. I guess I was afraid of it tipping over, even though I know it weighs a lot. Thanks again. I will let you all know when it happens.

No way will you Tip it over I promise I'M a big ole boy too over 300 lbs. I have no trouble what so ever with my RS wanting to tip over
Good Luck in finding one you like

Tony Holbrook

Pennyrick
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Sharon: My wife has one paralyzed arm and can't mount her RT by pulling on the bars and swinging her leg over. From the left side, she places her right foot on the peg, then slides in to the Spyder and moves her left foot back to the passenger's foot rest. She then stands up on the passenger's rest and moves her right leg across in front of her. Seems to be the better way to mount an RT.

Jharpo
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi Sharon. Have no fear of making a fool of yourself. I must have had looked at 10 Spyders before I got up the nerve to get on one. I'm 69 and it the easiest bike to mount that I have ever had the privilege to ride. Just step up on the peg, grab the handle bar, and swing on up. It's so solid, it will shock you. The relax and enjoy.

alicej
09-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Sharon: My wife has one paralyzed arm and can't mount her RT by pulling on the bars and swinging her leg over. From the left side, she places her right foot on the peg, then slides in to the Spyder and moves her left foot back to the passenger's foot rest. She then stands up on the passenger's rest and moves her right leg across in front of her. Seems to be the better way to mount an RT.

I too, am disabled. After riding 2 wheels for 30 years. I decided to buy another brand 3 wheeler. Less than 500 miles I had a serious accident with it. A year after the accident I tried for months to get on my Harley Ultra. With limited use of my left arm and limited use of my left leg. I could not do it! Then I found the Spyder and was able to mount the same as the previous post. It may take me awhile and I definitely don't look graceful, but the Spyder stands there with no moving or swaying. Never thought I would be able to ride again. Once I lost my Harley mentality, I discovered this 67 year old was having a 'ball' ryding the Spyder. I must warn you, it takes some getting used to after so many years on 2 wheels, but it is well worth taking the time to get to know it. ENJOY!

BlueLine
09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I mount from the left, I place my left foot on the passenger pad, grab the left handle grip, stand up the draw my right leg up and over the seat. I don't swing my leg over to the rear because you just end up kicking the seat rest and also you'll most likely scuff the top of the saddle bag. The RT is very stable, so don't worry about any tilt, there will be very little to none. If your short , you can lower the rear passenger footboard to give you an easier step up. Just remember: Left side, left foot , left handle bar, stand up then right foot over and thru the lowest point on the saddle, then right foot on right passenger footboard. :spyder: Now go get on one and GO!

CyncySpyder
09-24-2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-q:2thumbs:uot-for-new-Spyder-owners
:2thumbs:
:welcome:

Spydee8
09-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Go for it!! I have a 2012 RT-S and have no problems mounting it! I do use the foot peg and haven't broken anything yet...lol!! The Spyder is a sturdy machine, and you will have no problems, I promise!!

Now, go for a test ryde and fall in love!!

Dee

DocRags
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
The first thing we'll tell folks that want to try sitting on our bike is that it's not mounted like a regular bike...you step up on the peg/floorboard and swing your leg over from there, not from the ground. Welcome to the Spyder family, by the way!

shelbydave
09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I get a running start from the back, and jump. I hate to say it, but in a couple years I may have to buy a shorty antenna to clear it...

Jharpo
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=shelbydave;521207]I get a running start from the back, and jump. I hate to say it, but in a couple years I may have to buy a shorty antenna to clear it...

​Sorry, I couldn't resist. Lets hear it for the good old Western Movies

bruiser
09-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I get a running start from the back, and jump. I hate to say it, but in a couple years I may have to buy a shorty antenna to clear it...

Hey, I did that!! Went right over mine and landed on the seat BBs Spyder that was parked in front of mine. :roflblack: :roflblack:

Seriously, I just get Kris ro pick me up and set me on the seat. :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Ok, I'm finished.

spydaman60
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM

Like I said, thanks!

sharon, i go 275 pounds and stand on the peg all the time to get on. no problem at all!go for it!!:thumbup:

LindaG
10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I am of the same spring as you. I mount using the foot peg swinging my right leg up and over the front. This week we rode with a lady that mounted by swinging her leg to the back. It's just what you are comfortable with.

btcherm
10-04-2012, 03:30 AM
I just stand on the footpeg then swing my other leg over.its a piece of cake:spyder2:

Blondie
10-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I put Seal Floor Boards on my RTS and made slinging a leg over the saddle even easier. They are also a sponsor on this site.

Good luck!

I have the seal floor boards on my RT and neither me (not a skinny girl) or my husband (300 lbs) when he rides my tryke have any trouble with getting on or off. You should just go for it. I know you will like it.

SusanOnRed
10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Sharon, I stand on my pegs to mount always and swing my leg up and over. If you want to poll a bunch of ladies, check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook. It is a great group and lots of great information and input.

Like I said, thanks!

Phyxius
10-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi Sharon,

I'm another rider who weighs more than you and I use the footpeg to mount as well. You'll be fine! :)

BajaRon
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

When you actually take your first ride you will wish you'd done it sooner. You'll find that the Spyder has been exactly what you wanted all along. It will make you feel at home. Just remember to relax and enjoy. The rest will come easy.

Babyblue
10-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Sharon:

No worries on mounting the RT as everyone has stated. This is one solid machine.
I am a chunky monkey and when I took my test ride I was a little embarassed as there were 5 guys watching me...:sour: Once I sat in the seat, it was like I was home! I am closing on 60 and ride everyday now either by myself (shopping) or with my spouse. I even ride to work. Matter of fact I road home with it the first day and that was close to 70 miles. Nervous, yes, but I smiled and laughed the whole way home.
I hope you try the Spyder soon and love it as much as I do.

Good Luck!!!!!

Blue

Trisham13
10-15-2012, 10:44 AM
:doorag: I am only 5' 3" and ride a 2010 RT-S. I mount by stepping on the foot peg and then swinging my right leg over. I do have to remember to bend my right knee a little so my foot doesn't hit the passenger seat. It is not a problem. I hope you sell your ride soon and get your Can Am. I absolutely LOVE mine. I am 62 also and hope for many more days of riding.:pray:

shelbydave
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM

Let us know how your ride goes!

Just make sure you are ready to buy before you try! It sure is hard to think up any excuses for a "No!" after you're hooked! My test ride resulted in a purchase, and the giving up of my "Tail of the Dragon" car.

CSW61
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Don't worry about it, 6 ft and 300 lbs and does not even lean. Ride one and enjoy it.........

LadyDi'sSpyder
02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Sharon, I have an RT and just stand on the peg and swing my legs over. I'm short and fat and don't have any problem, it is very stable and easy on/off. Sometimes I hit my foot on the back handlebar, but not a big deal. :yes:

Chupaca
02-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Sometimes one is sorry they ask for the replys never end. All good and if you ever have any type of questions here's the place to come. So now that we have calmed you down, as mentioned, go for it test ryde and soon you will ryde with us and not just look at us. Good luck:thumbup: