PDA

View Full Version : filling up

jcoker
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Why can't I seem to top off the tank. Been trying to fill it until it over flows just to find the top. I get tired off it and give up. Am I missing something or do I have a bottomless tank

exwinger
09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Don't , don't , don't........try to fill it all the way. FULL should be about 3/4 to 1" below the bottom of the filler neck. Fill it more than that and you'll be dumping fuel into your evaporator cannister and you'll start getting fuel smells .Put the nozzle just inside the bottom of the neck and pump slow , when the auto shut off kicks in....it's full.

TuckMiddle
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Why can't I seem to top off the tank. Been trying to fill it until it over flows just to find the top. I get tired off it and give up. Am I missing something or do I have a bottomless tank

The general agreement is not to fill it up after the pump shutws off automatically, maybe one or two little squirts. The vent seems to be a problem if tank is filled all the way, over heated or ???!! To keep fuel venting problems to a minimum, leave the level down 2 or 3 inches from the lip. BRP says the way to keep it from dripping, fuming or "vaporing" is to not to "overfill"

It's been a problem for many. Just type " fuel venting or fuel canister" in the search block and read the comments for the next 12 hours.
:cheers:
Tuck

NancysToy
09-23-2012, 07:16 PM
:lecturef_smilie: By now, you have ruined your evap canister by filling it with fuel. Hopefully it will evaporate over the course of several days without causing a fire hazard. You cannot completely fill the tank, and you should never completely fill it anyway, it needs about 10% head space for expansion. If it did not have this, you could split the tank when the cold fuel expoands with the heat from the engine. Fill slowly, until fuel just starts to spit back through the slots in the no-lead baffle in the filler neck. The 6.6 gallon tank holds about 6.0 gallons at that point, which is consiodered to be full.