PDA

View Full Version : Hello from East Texas.

wildtexasrangr
09-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm new here and new to the :spyder2:world. I haven't picked mine up yet,still looking to see what happens tonight. Been looking at the 2012 RT-S sm5. With a set of Vega helmets (anyone running this set up?? ) http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit3.0_V-com.html
How many :ani29: riders are here in East Texas :yes:( Palestine ,Tyler,Jacksonville area. )

TasmanianDevil
09-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Welcome and congratulations. I spend my winters near South Padre Island. That's not so far away on a :spyder:

Enjoy, Sarah

flamingobabe
09-23-2012, 02:43 PM
we are down near Houston....but we could always meet half way for lunch....welcome and let us know what you do.....

glynnk
09-23-2012, 02:50 PM
we are down near Houston....but we could always meet half way for lunch....welcome and let us know what you do.....

Ditto what Flamingobabe said.....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

wildtexasrangr
09-23-2012, 03:29 PM
:pray: hoping to make up my mind on what I'll do next week. Like I said be for I'm new to all this :spyder2: stuff. I have a fused spine L1-S5 with a lot of nerve damage ( spinal cord stimulator ) but I try not to let it slow me down. Was wondering what are the first few mods to look into doing for a comfort ride. I'm 6' 4'' 290 pnds. Yes, I plan on doing my own work on it. Its been 12 years since I was on a tour bike :yikes:& cant wait to get back out there.:2thumbs:

flamingobabe,TasmanianDevil nice to meet you both. Ill have no problem getting out on the weekends with my wife and riding and meeting people.
What are some of the things that are bad or you dont like about the RT and what have you done about it.Guess I'm looking for a heads up on what I'll run into so to speak.Dont get me wrong on this, I love what I see on this bike so far. :bowdown:

2ndChildhood
09-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I feel there are 3 mods that is a must for comfort. The first a must is backrest. I went with a Utopia brand its been working great for me. Next is a cup holder. I had a Bulter brand installed at a Gold Wing show. The next for me will be road pegs.

Life is Great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cruzr Joe
09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Air Hawk cusion for your butt is helpful also

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

wildtexasrangr
09-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Cruzr Joe ,2ndChildhood,glynnk, Howdy !!! Thanks for the heads up. For sure on a cup holder & a back rest. Then leds, hallow glow.:thumbup:

rcantrell52
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Ranger,
I live in Tyler and there are several Spyder owners in the Tyler/Longview area.
Reese

ARtraveler
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
:welcome:

aperkin
09-25-2012, 03:01 PM

flamingobabe, I noticed that you live in Friendswood. My wife spent a good portion of her life in Pearland. After we were married, we lived in Pearland for a few years before moving to the Dallas area. We still have friends there and own a house there (wife's childhood home) in Sleepy Hollow.

I'm getting my Spyder this Saturday... yahoo!!! Next time we're in the area, we'll look you up... but it may be a while before I'm comfortable going that far.. this is my first ryde ever.

Andy

aperkin
09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm new here and new to the :spyder2:world. I haven't picked mine up yet,still looking to see what happens tonight. Been looking at the 2012 RT-S sm5. With a set of Vega helmets (anyone running this set up?? ) http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit3.0_V-com.html
How many :ani29: riders are here in East Texas :yes:( Palestine ,Tyler,Jacksonville area. )

Hey Ranger... not in east Texas but in north Dallas area. Just getting my Spyder this weekend. I'm new to motorcycling but maybe in a few months I might be up to venturing out that far. If so, I'll give you a holler and we can meet up.

Good luck with your purchase.

Rar
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
:welcome: Wishing you many happy miles. :yes:

michael88
09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Ha WildTexasRangr, I'm from Mabank, Gun Barrel City area. Been ryding only 3 mouths now, 2012 RS/SE5 model, love it. :2thumbs: Me and my brother ride all over East Tx., my brother rydes a Victory Vision. I'm about 60 miles from you.

wildtexasrangr
09-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Nice to meet you all. Need to see if we can get a East Texas club going ?? what you think ??
Havent got my bike yet, but hope very soon.Check out my post on ( How do you BIG guys ride the RT) will explain all.:cus: Kinda bums me out but Ill figure out something.Hope to get to know many people out there. I live in Neches near River Run atv park. So if any of you are over this way let me know.:yes:

flamingobabe
09-26-2012, 09:21 AM
flamingobabe, I noticed that you live in Friendswood. My wife spent a good portion of her life in Pearland. After we were married, we lived in Pearland for a few years before moving to the Dallas area. We still have friends there and own a house there (wife's childhood home) in Sleepy Hollow.

I'm getting my Spyder this Saturday... yahoo!!! Next time we're in the area, we'll look you up... but it may be a while before I'm comfortable going that far.. this is my first ryde ever.

Andy

:congrats:on the new Spyder!!!!!

we live on the county line of Galveston/Brazoria...in brazoria county...Pearland is miles away and Friendswood is just down the road...do you know of La Casita?...we live near there...bring it on when you get comfortable on you new Spyder....look forward to meeting y'all

michael88
09-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Ha Rangr, I've been at that ATV park on the Neches river about 5 or 6 years ago. I used to own a
Artic Cat ATV, me and my brother use to ryde all over East Texas. Sold the ATV's, now I ryde my RS/SE5, my brother rydes a Victory Vision. And now we ryde on country rodes and highways all over East Texas. An't Life Grand.:2thumbs:

wildtexasrangr
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Well I did it, signed off on the papers today and pick up Sat. ST LIMITED:spyder2: so stoked right now. So glad I held of till now. the RT just didnt fit me at all but the ST sure does. Hope to see you guys out riding soon. Have a great ride..:yes:

Chupaca
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
:welcome:many rydes on bikes out your way, now in socal on a spyder last four months almost 1000 miles a month weekend ryding. Also have back problems and feels best on the critter than in the car. Good luck good choice !!

Phil
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Rangr- as the signature shows, I'm in Tyler, as is Reese (previous post). I'm reasonably tied up for the next few weeks, but if you like, get with Reese and let's find a time to see your new ryde and show you why we like ours!!!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Schnauzer
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Hey there Ranger... I see your a rather large fella. One of the things I see with the spyder is the front suspension and tire wear. There are a lot of threads on this issue. But if you sort it all out and evaluate what most are saying and from visual pictures of these guys. The combined weight of the 2 up riding will take some trial and error on your part to get the spyder comfortable with the capacities it will endevour. Things like front tire pressure and shock settings. They come from the factory way to soft.. I guess they don't make Canadians very big or heavy. I'm 170 and my spouse is :yikes:140 plus/minus,,, she'll say minus.2011 RT:spyder2: I run my shocks at maximum setting and around 26psi on the front. We have almost 27k on our 1st set of front tires. And lots of tread to spare. I can't direct you on the rear since I'm running a car tire now. Could never find the sweet spot for the oem tire, but did manage to get 19k, but it was past worn out.

2nd,Get a battery Maintainer and keep it hooked up. Our spyder gets rode everyday as you can tell from the short term mileage. Our battery lasted 14mo. When I removed the battery it was dated 09. It could've just been my bad luck, but $30.00 for piece of mind ain't bad.

3rd, The spyder's electricall system does not like additional loads or the lack of.. Any additional lighting mods should be switched and fused from the battery or it's external connection. There are some lighting mods that come from the onsite vendors that have all the proper load equalizers for thier products. But if your just looking for external nightime lights, they are available everywhere and as mentioned just need switched and fused..

You have an electronic guru in your neck of the woods.. "Phil"..

OBTW..:congrats: and looking forward to meeting ya'll someday..

Laila's Dad
01-02-2013, 11:47 PM

...That is a nice helmet. I haven't heard of those before. Welcome to the spyder world