PDA

View Full Version : Gas Smell !!!

ccospyder
01-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Do you have any gas smell problem with your Spyder !!!
I have no leak on the floor , no over flow , even if my tank is 1/4 ,event if my Spyder is turn off for 10 minutes
I still have that problem .
Could you help me !!!
Thanks !!!

srarndt
02-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Did you ever learn the cause of the gas smell? I have it intermittantly...

matusky
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I've seen this posted a few places but a remember reading somewhere that somebody had found gas in the airbox...... like...... liquid sitting in there??

I hope this isn't a problem they can't correct!

ICE
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I've notice a definite gas smell from my spyder during the past few week. I only notice it after a ride when I park in a closed garage. If it persist, I'll probably have to entertain a visit to the dealer. :(

NancysToy
04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I noticed it today, after a long ride. Maybe that explains the lousier than everyone else fuel mileage. Sure would like to know the cause.
-Scotty

bjt
04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
+1 to the occasional gas smell. I didn't notice gas in the airbox when I had it open this weekend though, just a little oil.

srarndt
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Not as frequent as before, but still get it once in a while... :(

matusky
04-23-2008, 01:25 AM
:dontknow: can't be good, no matter what it's caused by........ it would be bad if for whatever reason this caused a fire, it would be bad for the reputation of the product...... the resale value for the rest of us...... and most importantly..... the poor bastard that's sitting on whichever one decides to go off......... any word from BRP on this???????

sabunim5
04-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Silver #1232 just started having it in the last few weeks. Never smelled it before 1K miles, but now is a fairly frequent occurance. Will be seeing the dealer about it as soon as my riser and backrest come in. If I feel it is safe to wait that long. :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder:

hevnbound
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Add me to the gas smell list! First and only time I smelled it was last Saturday when I rode with a bunch of sport bikes and I was giving it everything I had on the Spyder to keep up. It was a full day of fast riding. Each time we had a sustained series of curves, switchbacks, etc. I began to smell it. It only occured when I was pushing it very hard. I got a little over 98 miles on the tank that day!!!! The smell was quite pronounced.

P. S. I've never been as tired as I was after I got home. I got off of the Spyder and my wife said .... "you can't even walk"!! Couple days later I was sore in places I didn't know I had muscles!! But ..... OH was it afun day!!

No one paid any attention to the 15 sport bikes ... at every stop, the Spyder drew a crowd - even the law!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/hevnbound/SpyderandHwyPatrol.jpg

Kural
04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
No gas smell yet, about 850 miles. We'll see after this weekend's 5 day trip to LA & Big Bear.

BUT, I couldn't resist saying to Heavenbound that I LOVE the detailing you did to your ride! The checkers & piping on the seat add some HOT style! :bigthumbsup: Where'd you get the seat done? (sorry for the hijack)

hevnbound
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
BUT, I couldn't resist saying to Heavenbound that I LOVE the detailing you did to your ride! The checkers & piping on the seat add some HOT style! :bigthumbsup: Where'd you get the seat done? (sorry for the hijack)

Thanks, Kural. Sent my seat to Sargent in Jax, FL (www.sargentcycle.com ... go to custom seat tab). Actually had them rework the seat; added their "super cel" foam, redesigned driver portion by flattening it out for better weight distribution, recovered it with their carbonFX fabric and added the piping.

McGone
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
hevnbound
Did you have to send in a seat pan? I am in Iowa so can't ride it down.

hevnbound
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
hevnbound
Did you have to send in a seat pan? I am in Iowa so can't ride it down.

Yes, I had to send the seat in. It took abour 10 days round trip. Fortunately for me anyhow, it was the first of March and the weather was bad - also. I have a motorcycle to ride. They have their busy season and I think they are in the middle of it right now. Best bet is to call their Custom Seat Division and talk with Frank (don't quote me on that name .. I think it is Frank???). He can work it out where they can put your seat on the schedule and you can ship it a few days prior to the actual production date. They are very good people to work with.

matusky
04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
405 Miles on #3489..... noticed the gas smell today when I was out in traffic and thought it might be just air coming from the exxon up the street...... stopped at a stop sign out near a farm........ in the middle of nowhere..... smelled it again, not really strong but definitely gas......

BRP...... WHAT'S THE DEAL HERE?!!?

Danimal
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Seems to me that many have noticed it after a long ryde or some hard ryding.

I bet it's the airbox issue.

It's not just oil that gets up in there - gas will too. The gas will evaporate and/or burn up in the intake - so it's doubtfull you'll see any sitting in the airbox.

If the gas isn't leaking somewhere - which would be pretty noticable... what else could it be?

bjt
04-30-2008, 06:08 AM
I haven't noticed my Spyder gas smell in the past week or so. When I really noticed it was when I took out the airbox intake tubes as per the suggestion with Evoluzione's high performance filter. I put those tubes back in and I haven't really noticed it since. The other thing that coincides with putting the tubes back in is that I have been riding a bit gentler than I was before. That would support the hard riding / gas smell theories, on my Spyder anyways.

Concerning airbox oil, I'm not sure if this is an engine issue or a riding style issue but dltang's airbox had much more oil residue in it than I did. Hers was wet through about 50% of the airbox with some little puddles in the nooks and crannies. Mine was just a few areas right by the crankcase tube and carb intake, only 5% - 10% of the airbox, with no puddles. The other difference is that she had over 1000 miles on hers at the time while I was only at 400 or so. Maybe I'll take my airbox cover back off and see if it appears to be any worse since I'm now at 800 miles.

Danimal
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I noticed minor amounts at around 400 miles also.... now at 900 I noticed a bunch more.

I would have my oil catch installed by now.... but some scammer on Ebay only sent me a tube and 2 threaded connectors.. about $1.50 worth of parts.... which I paid $32 + $10 shipping for.

Might have to try the sponge trick that Tharkun has been doing....

Roaddog2
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I noticed minor amounts at around 400 miles also.... now at 900 I noticed a bunch more.

I would have my oil catch installed by now.... but some scammer on Ebay only sent me a tube and 2 threaded connectors.. about $1.50 worth of parts.... which I paid $32 + $10 shipping for.

Might have to try the sponge trick that Tharkun has been doing....

:spyder: :doorag:add me to the list of gas smell will have to check air box out this weekend

ginglga
07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I have number 130 of 500 2009 spyder phantoms with 600+ miles on it. When I park it in the garage after riding, it reaks of gasoline smell. There are no leaks that I can see and it runs very good. Its got the Hindle exhaust and I suspected that it wasn't re-jetted properly but it runs great so that probably isn't it. Mileage is poor at about 29 - 30... I see that others have this gas smell. Anyone that has been to a mechanic or heard from BRP on this, I would really like to talk to.

Thanks!!!

boborgera
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I have number 130 of 500 2009 spyder phantoms with 600+ miles on it. When I park it in the garage after riding, it reaks of gasoline smell. There are no leaks that I can see and it runs very good. Its got the Hindle exhaust and I suspected that it wasn't re-jetted properly but it runs great so that probably isn't it. Mileage is poor at about 29 - 30... I see that others have this gas smell. Anyone that has been to a mechanic or heard from BRP on this, I would really like to talk to.

Thanks!!!

The Spyder it fuel injected, there's no carburetor to re jet'
I would suspect the gas odor is from the charcoal canister, There was an update on that, I would give your dealer a call to make sure the update was done.

BajaRon
07-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I would suspect the gas odor is from the charcoal canister, There was an update on that, I would give your dealer a call to make sure the update was done.

You should carefully check all of your fuel line connections. If there is a loose connection it can spray a fine mist of fuel intermittently. On a hot engine it will vaporize completely and you will find no liquid puddle anywhere.

challman
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I have no leak on the floor , no over flow , even if my tank is 1/4 ,event if my Spyder is turn off for 10 minutes
Could you help me !!!
Thanks !!!

Hi There is a huge amount of talk about this on here. Look up canistorectamy if you can't find anything with this search correct my spelling and try again.

There was a service bulletin about this and you have the dealership do this if it hasn't been done. The extend the vent down to under the spyder instead of leaving it under the tupperware.

Make sure to say Bulletin and not recall or they won't find it. The will do this for free. It fixed my issues and I didn't have to do a canistorectamy.

freebob
07-08-2011, 11:27 AM
You still have gas smell since 2008....:popcorn:

MouthPiece
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
My gas smells.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Chris

ginglga
07-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks to all that responded. I guess I forgot that the Spyder was injected. I will call the dealer about the update and about the hose redirection. Thanks again!!! Hey I just got a new Cal Sci 22" windshield. Wow what a difference over the ultra sport that was stock on the phantom... Thanks!

gcain747
07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I picked up my 2011 RT Limited last week. On the ride home I noticed a gas smell when stopped at red lights. Got it home and checked it for leaks and nothing. Last weekend we rode almost 900 miles and noticed it a few more times. The bike is at the dealer now for the over due 600 mile check up and to have the trailer hitch installed. They told me there was a throatal body computer update and they would do it at the same time. I will be picking the bike up in the morning and plan to discuss the gas smell with the tech then and will find out if the computer update has anything to do with it. Will post what I learn.
Greg Cain
Helena, AL

bone crusher
07-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Who the heck dug up this thread from January 2008?

johnnyg
07-09-2011, 01:39 AM
I had a gas smell on my 2010 RT after checking it out I found out after trial and eara it was the gas cap! picked one up at the auto parts store for 8 bucks. jc

GeoffCee
07-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I get a whiff of gas when I open the garage door after a spell away from the Spyder. The filler cap is quite primitive (compared to the filler on a modern BMW bike, for instance) and I put the smell down to fuel naturally evaporating and escaping past the filler. I don't smoke so I don't think I'm in any danger. It isn't an unpleasant smell, either, so I'm learning to live with it. ;)

ataDude
07-09-2011, 04:37 PM
You may not smoke but your car/trucks, lawnmowers and even some water heaters "spark". That's all it takes.

I'd be concerned.

I get a whiff of gas when I open the garage door after a spell away from the Spyder. The filler cap is quite primitive (compared to the filler on a modern BMW bike, for instance) and I put the smell down to fuel naturally evaporating and escaping past the filler. I don't smoke so I don't think I'm in any danger. It isn't an unpleasant smell, either, so I'm learning to live with it. ;)

GeoffCee
07-10-2011, 04:27 AM
You may not smoke but your car/trucks, lawnmowers and even some water heaters "spark". That's all it takes.

I'd be concerned.

No, I'm not concerned by a faint whiff of gas. Look at it this way, when you are aboard the Spyder you are actually sitting astride a tank of petrol... Well we don't think about that too deeply, do we? The perception of danger contemplated from the safety of your armchair is mostly worst than reality. Mostly. :yikes:

Questions
07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Could you help me !!!
Thanks !!!
Someone on here a while ago, said that this is caused by overfilling your tank. There is an overfill splash system with a type of a carbon filter that is supposed to evaporate the excess fuel and that is what you are smelling. I have quite topping off my tank, and the smell has gone. Works for me, but makes it a little hard to get accurate milage figures, but oh well...

NancysToy
07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Just for the purposes of information, the lower flammability of gasoline is 1.4%. That means it takes at least that much gasoline vapor mixed with air to ignite. The odor level that gasoline can be detected and recognized is about 1 ppm, or 0.0001%. That means that gasoline can be smelled at a level one ten thousanth of that at which it will explode. Just because you smell gas, doesn't necessarily mean you are in imminent danger. The vapors escaping from a small gas tank vent are normally considered to be at safe levels.

CanAmMick
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Someone on here a while ago, said that this is caused by overfilling your tank. There is an overfill splash system with a type of a carbon filter that is supposed to evaporate the excess fuel and that is what you are smelling. I have quite topping off my tank, and the smell has gone. Works for me, but makes it a little hard to get accurate milage figures, but oh well...

Very interesting! When I took mine in for the 600 mile checkup I asked them to check it because I sometimes could smell gas. They said it may be from the vent. I use to top it off at each fill-up. Haven't done it for a while now and no fuel smell....

Dead Man Rydin
07-11-2011, 07:59 AM
My 2011 RT with 2300 miles has had this gas odor for a while. I plan on taking it in to the shop to see what they say. This can't be normal! :gaah:

Dar
07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
2010 RT here. I want yall to check this on yall's spyders. Next time you kill it look underneath where the vapor tube is and see if you see them gas monkeys. I always do. Don't seem correct to me. Always have to wait awhile before loading up in toy hauler. If not the whole back of trailer smells of gas.
My old carbed vulcan never did this.

kcmess
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I just got my bike back from Cowtown, I am over heating and have gas smell. these boys have always taken care of me very well untill now, they had it two weeks and until we went to pick it up they did not even do a pressure check, my bike smelled of gas and kevin told us thats just how it is, he did give us a new gas cap.started it for a short time last night was five bars in four min. and could smell gas, I feel when these boys give up it all over for me now.there has been info on this site about removing the evac can and pluging the purge valve, I will keep you posted i should have it spead all over the shop floor by thursday, I think we may :dontknow:be on our own.

NancysToy
07-12-2011, 06:12 AM
I just got my bike back from Cowtown, I am over heating and have gas smell. these boys have always taken care of me very well untill now, they had it two weeks and until we went to pick it up they did not even do a pressure check, my bike smelled of gas and kevin told us thats just how it is, he did give us a new gas cap.started it for a short time last night was five bars in four min. and could smell gas, I feel when these boys give up it all over for me now.there has been info on this site about removing the evac can and pluging the purge valve, I will keep you posted i should have it spead all over the shop floor by thursday, I think we may :dontknow:be on our own.
Once the emissions canister gets gas into it, from overfilling or filling fast (which are often difficult to avoid on the Spyder), the gas fumes will be prevalent for a long, long time. The gauge reading is probably a result of a firmware update. The actual temp is still the same, but the gauge reads higher now.

Spyderjockey
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Could you help me !!!
Thanks !!!

I had posted about my gas problem a while ago which really became dramatic to where I could see gasoline running down the sides of my Spyder below the gas tank if I hit the brakes real hard. I took off the side panels and had a friend stand by the side of the Spyder where I stopped and he could see the gas was coming from under the fuel pump module. I found from a parts list that I probably needed the retaining kit just under that module. I ordered it and received it yesterday and with quite a lot of "stick-to-it-of-ness" my son and I were able to get the parts changed. I took it down and filled up, hit the brakes real hard a few times and no odor and no gas spillage. I will ryde it more today to make sure the problem is cured, but I believe it is. Will post how I make out later tonight. This might be a problem other people have that are expierencing the gas fume odor.:2thumbs:

Spyderjockey
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I had posted about my gas problem a while ago which really became dramatic to where I could see gasoline running down the sides of my Spyder below the gas tank if I hit the brakes real hard. I took off the side panels and had a friend stand by the side of the Spyder where I stopped and he could see the gas was coming from under the fuel pump module. I found from a parts list that I probably needed the retaining kit just under that module. I ordered it and received it yesterday and with quite a lot of "stick-to-it-of-ness" my son and I were able to get the parts changed. I took it down and filled up, hit the brakes real hard a few times and no odor and no gas spillage. I will ryde it more today to make sure the problem is cured, but I believe it is. Will post how I make out later tonight. This might be a problem other people have that are expierencing the gas fume odor.:2thumbs:

We just got back from a ryde today and as I said in my previous post I changed the retaining kit on my Spyder and I have had absolutely no gas odor after filling the gas tank today. Not sure why the rubber gasket was allowing gasoline to leak by......but it was. It was a pretty tedious job to change it but it did take care of the problem. Just wanted to let you guys know how I cured my 'gas odor" problem.:clap: