PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

major911
09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Just curious, not even sure if it's possible or not. Has anyone installed the BRP Ultra touring windshield with the Madstad Robobrackets? If so tell me what you think. I would imagine with the width of the touring windshield and the aerodynamic design of the robo bracket you would have the ultimate bubble..:D

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Just curious, not even sure if it's possible or not. Has anyone installed the BRP Ultra touring windshield with the Madstad Robobrackets? If so tell me what you think. I would imagine with the width of the touring windshield and the aerodynamic design of the robo bracket you would have the ultimate bubble..:D

No, I have the Ultimate " Bubble ". I made it using a windshield for a Gold Wing 1500 that I mounted on the handle-bars of my 08 GS Spyder. It's 680 sq.inches and it actually increased my gas mileage....Mike

IGETAROUND
09-23-2012, 11:45 AM
No, I have the Ultimate " Bubble ". I made it using a windshield for a Gold Wing 1500 that I mounted on the handle-bars of my 08 GS Spyder. It's 680 sq.inches and it actually increased my gas mileage....Mike
Pictures, we need picturesnojoke

bobnaquin
09-23-2012, 01:47 PM

I am running that setup now. I think I have tried pretty much everything else available for an RS also. The robo brackets with this windshield is a good solution. The 'secret' is that the robo brackets allow the air to flow on the inside of the windshield. I believe Calsci does the same thing. IMHO this is what make for a laminar flow that si quite peaceful. You will have to clean bugs off of the inside of the windshield though. I am quite satisfied with this rig and I am a hard, but fair, customer to please. Bu.t windshields like seats area very personal thing. Your results may vary

docdoru
09-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm using Madstad Robo Brackets for a Madstad "Micro Bikini" windshield (for race) and a Madstad regular size windshield for touring:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120827_123107.jpg?t=1346092421

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Pictures, we need picturesnojoke

There are pictures, a video actually....they were done by Randy "artufun" at S.I.T.A. about 5-6 weeks ago labeled "blueknight911's mods video" are something close.....Dave "cincyspyder" also posted a bunch of pictures......if you are interested....it may be the only windshield mounted to handlebars ????, but it works

wyliec
09-23-2012, 02:29 PM
And, here's the video:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?43007-BlueKnight911-Custom-Spyder-Video

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-23-2012, 06:03 PM
And, here's the video:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?43007-BlueKnight911-Custom-Spyder-Video

Thanks Wy, It brought tears to my eyes all over again......Thank G*d nobody had to drive that evening. :yikes::agree:..:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack: Mike

Tigger
09-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I am very happy with the Calsci XL windshield. But the Madstad solution is also very good and used on other brands as well. Alot depends on posture, height and inseam of rider. :agree:I agree that ws are subjective. But anything is better than the stock fingernail.:gaah:

pro10is
09-27-2012, 09:03 AM

For the ultimate bubble you'd have to include side air deflectors which work incredibly well. The RS cowl is way too narrow to prevent wind from coming around the sides. So no matter what windshield you use you'll still need to deal with a lot of wind below the windshield level. The RT and now the ST effectively address this issue with wider cowls, but the RS will always have this problem unless you add side air deflectors. Fortunately BRP designed an excellent set as an accessory which are very effective and look great. There are also aftermarket versions.

SpyderRx
09-27-2012, 09:51 AM
The only problem with the side wind deflectors and the RS is the backdraft that is created. It did this with mine with the 25" touring windshield from BRP. This in turn sucks the exhaust smell and it just sits in the cockpit because there is no air movement. I get off the bike smelling like I just climbed out of the exhaust and with a slight headache. I have been told it doesn't do this with every bike. I love the side deflectors so I just order the calsci xl shield yesterday. I was told either it or the madstad brackets would solve this problem. I just like the look of the calsci over the madstad

Jimmy Neutron
09-27-2012, 10:48 AM

I did this 2 weeks ago.. 30 miles later my Madstad brackets sit at a polaris dealers that I happened to be going by and My BRP windshield has 4 nice holes in the middle.. It seemed like I had a lot more wind noise, or I had to look thrugh the windshield instead of over it.. Also it seemed to make my steering harder to handle.. But not all lost because every since I drilled the holes in my windshield I dont have the bobble head that I did..Not saying anything wrong against Madstad because it did what it said it would.. I just did not take time to keep adjusting..

bcoulter19
09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
How did you mount the touring windshield with the madstad brackets. I have the brackets and the windshield but the holes don't line up

major911
09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
How did you mount the touring windshield with the madstad brackets. I have the brackets and the windshield but the holes don't line up

you have to create a template and drill your own holes for the bracket.

SPYD3R
09-27-2012, 08:45 PM
i built me own for winter riding... got a piece of LEXAN at HOME DEPOT for $20, took an old BUD box, made a template, transfered to the LEXAN, got out my heat-gun and bent it to fit... took about a total of 2 hrs... and it looks as good as anything you can buy for $200+... did the same for my foot rest... why buy, when you can build...???

Jimmy Neutron
09-28-2012, 06:54 AM

We had to drill new holes in the middle of the windshield.. Thats why I now have 4 empty holes going down the road .. But I really think that mistake made my bobble head go away.. But it tells you in the instructions to use madsatd as pattern and drill holes,, Scary at first but it was okay..

major911
09-28-2012, 07:24 AM
We had to drill new holes in the middle of the windshield.. Thats why I now have 4 empty holes going down the road .. But I really think that mistake made my bobble head go away.. But it tells you in the instructions to use madsatd as pattern and drill holes,, Scary at first but it was okay..

I read somewhere that someone installed a Goldwing vent in a brp ultr touring shield. Don't remember exactly where. That would certainly alleviate the back pressure and turbulence.

Littlebadwolf
09-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm using Madstad Robo Brackets for a Madstad "Micro Bikini" windshield (for race) and a Madstad regular size windshield for touring:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120827_123107.jpg?t=1346092421

Nice Doc...I really like the looks....:thumbup: