PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to all that replied, but I have decided not to purchase

DaveInWoodland
09-22-2012, 11:30 AM
While I am definitely in a place to go to three wheels after the research and reading over the last week I could not confidently put a Spyder in my garage. For me there were too many stories of problems and reliability for me to spend the kind of money it would of cost.

I have a very low tolerance and no patience when it comes to a product I may own that is giving me problems before it's time. And I felt I did not want to get into that, so based on that I guess I am sticking on two wheels for the moment until I can afford to drop the money on a GoldWing Trike (No Harley for me)...

Thank you again to all of you that posted in regards to my earlier questions as you did help me enormously. Be safe out there on two or three and may you have a trouble free experience.

jsmiley
09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
That is the best decision you may have ever made. You just saved yourself from a potential nightmare.

BajaRon
09-22-2012, 11:53 AM
That is the best decision you may have ever made. You just saved yourself from a potential nightmare.

The potential goes both ways. There are thousands of Spyder owners that get on their RS or RT and ride it without issues. Some tend to focus on the huge number of very happy Spyder owners, others want to focus on the owners who have had problems.

Odds are greatly in favor of a happy experience on a Spyder.

NancysToy
09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
It pays to know your own limitations. I hope you find something that suits your needs.

spyderbirds
09-22-2012, 12:01 PM
While I am definitely in a place to go to three wheels after the research and reading over the last week I could not confidently put a Spyder in my garage. For me there were too many stories of problems and reliability for me to spend the kind of money it would of cost.

I have a very low tolerance and no patience when it comes to a product I may own that is giving me problems before it's time. And I felt I did not want to get into that, so based on that I guess I am sticking on two wheels for the moment until I can afford to drop the money on a GoldWing Trike (No Harley for me)...

Thank you again to all of you that posted in regards to my earlier questions as you did help me enormously. Be safe out there on two or three and may you have a trouble free experience.

You made your decision, its right for you.
I read the same types of issues 18 months ago and must say I am glad I went ahead and purchased our 2010 RT AC!!
20,500 miles, never a night in the shop!
The majority of those miles pulling a trailer, just the wife and I touring mostly backroads around the country.
Its been a blast and glad we didnt shrink away from the adventure.

I am sure one day our spyder will have issues, hope that you get a vehicle that never breaks down while you own it.

:thumbup:

jsmiley
09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
The potential goes both ways. There are thousands of Spyder owners that get on their RS or RT and ride it without issues. Some tend to focus on the huge number of very happy Spyder owners, others want to focus on the owners who have had problems.

Odds are greatly in favor of a happy experience on a Spyder.

Having problems is one thing, having problems and having the manufacturer turn their back on you is another. Every vehicle I have ever owned has had an issue or a recall of some type. Every manufacturer has done their level set best to take care of the issues with exception of BRP.

I am happy that you have had a pleasant experience. I would not wish this on anyone.

Littlebadwolf
09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I'll ride my RS anywhere, anytime...Without fear of breaking down...It's never left me in a lurch..

Bob Denman
09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
It pays to know your own limitations. I hope you find something that suits your needs.

:agree: When you find that "something" that scratches all of the right itches; please tell us about it! :thumbup:

flybuddy
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
You did your research and made an informed decision..Good stuff. I did pretty much the same thing. For several weeks I visited dealers, talked to owners, read up all the info I could on the forums and got the same vibes you got. Seemed to be too many problems, complex machine, dealer and BRP issues, similar problems from model year to model year that didn't seem to get fixed. Despite all that, I still wound up deciding to buy. Keep in mind that nearly everyone with a problem is likely to post, few people with no issues will get online to tell you that. For me, life is simply too short to avoid POTENTIAL problems vs having something truly enjoyable. Let's say we apply this logic to dating, getting married or having kids. The pro/con list spreadsheet will almost always say don't do it. Since a high % of marriages end in divorce, to avoid POTENTIAL problems, I shouldn't date or get involved. Kids are nothing but work and expense so why bother. (it would be nice if marriages and kids came with the same warranty as the Spyder)
Bottom line--to truly enjoy life, we have to take risks. I can understand if your logic is to apply those risks elsewhere and/or minimize them. As far as the Goldwing Trike--I had owned a GL1800 and looked into all the various Trike Kits. Value is just not there in my mind for what is an aftermarket add on.

Cruzr Joe
09-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Someone go get jsmiley his meds, his depression is kicking in again, he has had that since he lost his Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

Campverdefela
09-22-2012, 02:35 PM
You did your research and made an informed decision..Good stuff. I did pretty much the same thing. For several weeks I visited dealers, talked to owners, read up all the info I could on the forums and got the same vibes you got. Seemed to be too many problems, complex machine, dealer and BRP issues, similar problems from model year to model year that didn't seem to get fixed. Despite all that, I still wound up deciding to buy. Keep in mind that nearly everyone with a problem is likely to post, few people with no issues will get online to tell you that. For me, life is simply too short to avoid POTENTIAL problems vs having something truly enjoyable. Let's say we apply this logic to dating, getting married or having kids. The pro/con list spreadsheet will almost always say don't do it. Since a high % of marriages end in divorce, to avoid POTENTIAL problems, I shouldn't date or get involved. Kids are nothing but work and expense so why bother. (it would be nice if marriages and kids came with the same warranty as the Spyder)
Bottom line--to truly enjoy life, we have to take risks. I can understand if your logic is to apply those risks elsewhere and/or minimize them. As far as the Goldwing Trike--I had owned a GL1800 and looked into all the various Trike Kits. Value is just not there in my mind for what is an aftermarket add on.

Well put! Any expensive decision such as this should be well thought out. I the way I look at it is 'their loss, my gain'

flamingobabe
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I have 50,000 miles in just over 2 years...not any problems that we could not fix here at the house...except to hook up to BUDS to clear codes...I love my RS Spyder

BajaRon
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Having problems is one thing, having problems and having the manufacturer turn their back on you is another. Every vehicle I have ever owned has had an issue or a recall of some type. Every manufacturer has done their level set best to take care of the issues with exception of BRP.

I am happy that you have had a pleasant experience. I would not wish this on anyone.

No one is saying a bad experience with any product is a good thing. I've had a few issues with my 08 GS but BRP more than stepped up to the plate for me and I know they have for others as well. Doesn't mean that everyone has been a happy camper. Just saying there are many more that have had experience similar to mine than those who have had an experience comperable to yours.

And though the percentages may vary, you can find someone in your shoes with every product known to man.

quickster47
09-22-2012, 04:45 PM
And though the percentages may vary, you can find someone in your shoes with every product known to man.

Well said and oh so true. There is no such thing as a perfect man made object.

Carl

Silvervette05
09-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll ride my RS anywhere, anytime...Without fear of breaking down...It's never left me in a lurch..

7,000 miles on mine and no problems

ARtraveler
09-22-2012, 06:37 PM
jmiley seems to be having a bad day. This is the second post I have found where he has discussed how bad the product is. I am still looking at latest posts--so am guessing I will find more discussion about the product as the day progresses. Free speech is good--so go for it. :thumbup:

Wiredux
09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
2000 miles on my 2012 RT and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. White
09-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Some days I just have a hard time deciding which to ride. Took BR1 this morning and went west on IH10 to breakfast. Riding west of Kerrville, I came to the 80mph speed limit, up from 75 and stayed with the red necks heading for their hunting leases....ten over the speed limit is the norm for these boys. BR1 did well....and I did not have any problem keeping the rpms up on this ride. Please remember...stay in the right lane.....

:spyder2:

murphybrown
09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
On my 2010 RTSE5.....and every mile a fine experience. Minor issues...response from dealers/BRP have been fabulous. BUT I choose to live with my glass 1/2 full and every moment of my life an opportunity to find the silver lining...I spent my first 6 decades living in the "what ifs"....to damned depressing...so learned skills to squish those nasty "what ifs" when they jump up ( oh yea they are alive and well in my life just waiting to sabotage...but I know how to fire both barrels and get rid of them!!). So the greatest gift we have for ourselves and others is the right to choose....I choose the 1/2 full glass!!!!
Lots and lots of wildfires in my area...serious smoke for days on end...have to hold my breath for the first hour of ryding...but if I listen to the news before saddling up, after an hour I can find fairly smoke free area to ryde...yesterday was one of those 350 mile days...only first and last 50 in serious smoke (the kind that makes the eyes/nose run and can't see more than couple hundred feet...no end in sight ... today was a 3 hr ryde to watch my 11 yr old grandson's football team kick some serious butt!!!! They rescheduled game out of smoke so I got to see great football and blue skies!!! :yes:

BajaRon
09-22-2012, 10:59 PM
On my 2010 RTSE5.....and every mile a fine experience. Minor issues...response from dealers/BRP have been fabulous. BUT I choose to live with my glass 1/2 full and every moment of my life an opportunity to find the silver lining...I spent my first 6 decades living in the "what ifs"....to damned depressing...so learned skills to squish those nasty "what ifs" when they jump up ( oh yea they are alive and well in my life just waiting to sabotage...but I know how to fire both barrels and get rid of them!!). So the greatest gift we have for ourselves and others is the right to choose....I choose the 1/2 full glass!!!!
Lots and lots of wildfires in my area...serious smoke for days on end...have to hold my breath for the first hour of ryding...but if I listen to the news before saddling up, after an hour I can find fairly smoke free area to ryde...yesterday was one of those 350 mile days...only first and last 50 in serious smoke (the kind that makes the eyes/nose run and can't see more than couple hundred feet...no end in sight ... today was a 3 hr ryde to watch my 11 yr old grandson's football team kick some serious butt!!!! They rescheduled game out of smoke so I got to see great football and blue skies!!! :yes:

Sounds like you've learned to take lemons and make lemonade! Now what to do with the Onions!?

flaggerphil
09-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Well, the OP made the decision he thought was best for him. I took the same information I could find last March and ended up going with the Spyder RT-AC instead of a HD Tri-Glide or a Lehman Victory trike. Well over 5000 miles at this point, including a two day run from St Louis to the Florida Space Coast a week after I bought the beast, and the only problems I've had was replacing the fuel gauge...and that was done under warranty and right away.

Now, I will admit I fired my first Florida dealer, but the other two dealers in the area have more than made up for that.

I'd buy the Spyder again, no doubt.

schnauzermom
09-22-2012, 11:21 PM

We, over here on the "wet" side have been hearing every day how bad the fires are over there. Please stay safe. Your an inspiration for me to quell my stupid fears and just enjoy life on my RT! Life is such an adventure:bowdown:

pro10is
09-23-2012, 09:17 AM
In my experience if you systematically research almost any product in depth using the internet you'd probably end up buying nothing. Every product has its flaws and each and every one of those flaws will be discussed in great detail. Additionally, every product will have failures and those too will be discussed in depth. Then there will be those who feel the product is missing something or not as good as another product and this too will be discussed thoroughly. The end result is a distorted view of the product due to fact that it is perfectly normal to discuss a product's shortcomings often more than its strong points.

This is true not only for the Spyder, but for all other motorcycles, cars, smart phones, appliances, you name it. If you focus on the negative reports you'll be scared off from buying anything.

In order to get the true picture, you have to offset the negatives by looking closer for positive indicators. Is the product popular? Does it have a large owner base? Does it sell well? Does it have a loyal following?

In the case of the Spyder you need to look no farther then this forum. Here you'll indeed read about the problems but look closer and you'll see a near fanatical devotion. You'll see many owners who ride them all over the country. You'll see hundreds of ways to add fun and useful modifications, you'll see vendors who have devoted business to them, you'll see Spyder owners helping each other in every possible way, you'll see lively discussions about how much fun folks are having, you'll see social groups and annual events formed solely around Spyder riding. Balance all that into the equation and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the Spyder is hugely successful with an incredible owner base.

So before you make a final decision be certain you have the true picture.

murphybrown
09-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you've learned to take lemons and make lemonade! Now what to do with the Onions!?...

I LOVE ONIONS Ron...fresh, sauteed, chopped, sliced, diced....ahhhhh onions all kinds....they are great enhancers to everything!!!!:yes::yes:

eddieshep999
09-23-2012, 11:33 AM

I LOVE ONIONS Ron...frtsauteed, chopped, sliced, diced....ahhhhh onions all kinds....they are great enhancers to everything!!!!:yes::yes:

Glad to see you didn't mention the Red Onions - That would just start another battle wtih reference to Colours and which is best

Oh no! From Wikipedia - Red onions, sometimes called Purple onions

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

NancysToy
09-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you've learned to take lemons and make lemonade! Now what to do with the Onions!?

Make soup, of course. Unless you are like my grandmother, who used to eat them raw, like an apple. nojoke

docdoru
09-23-2012, 12:55 PM
The Spyder is still as of today the best roadster in the US; any other direction you may take, is going to be a downgrade. nojoke

Jeriatric
09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
:agree:

dancogan
09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Make soup, of course. Unless you are like my grandmother, who used to eat them raw, like an apple. nojoke

She should meet my uncle, he eats onions like most people eat an apple! :roflblack:

bruiser
09-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Happened across a fellow today who has a 2011 RT. He was not happy with it. He told of the problems he had not starting and running on one cylinder. We talked for about 20 minutes, I gave him info on what to look for and also gave him the address to this site and encouraged him to come aboard and discuss his issues here. On the starting issue I mentioned the throttle body and suggested he go back to the dealer if it's already been replaced. On the cylinder issue I told him to check the plug wires. All of this I learned here. I did what I could to help him, now it's up to him.

As to the OP, I agree that the choice is his. I wish him well. Herry Monster??

murphybrown
09-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Go Grandma...you youngsters just don't know what is GOOD...Walla Walla Sweets eaten like an apple...oh :yes::yes::firstplace:

NancysToy
09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Go Grandma...you youngsters just don't know what is GOOD...Walla Walla Sweets eaten like an apple...oh :yes::yes::firstplace:

I might understand that, but I remember her doing it with plain old Spanish onions!

...and thanks for calling me "youngster"! I don't get that much anymore. :)

bruiser
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm told Walla Walla Sweets are sweeter than Vidalias.

GeoffCee
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Back to the OP. If you examine the plus and minus side of any major decision you are thinking of making and then act on what you've decided, you've really done all you can. You can still get hit by unexpected problems no matter what you decide. We call that "fate" or "bad luck", but you'll have the comfort of knowing, if the worst does happen, that you thought long and hard about it and tried to do the right thing. Better luck next time. :f_spider:

StanProff
09-23-2012, 07:56 PM

I purchased my 2010 RT-S and have nothing but good things to say about it. I also read a lot of forums positive and negative about three wheelers including the spyder. I looked at the engineering of the Spyder being designed from "the ground up" to be what it is. I decided against a Kit trike with a motorcycle front end. The safety factor is just not there. I bought the Spyder for Touring, 13,000 miles later and a lot of smiles with the miles would do it again in a heartbeat. Nothing compares with the ride, the safety and the fun of a Spyder for me. ( I have 6 bikes in my garage) and have ridden bikes for 45 years. Love the spyder. Hope you find what is good for you.