PDA

View Full Version : Good deal?

aperkin
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Lava Bronze RT Limited.
Options:
- CB & Comm
- Entertainment Harness
- Sat radio
- Cell phone kit
- 2 headsets

Got two quotes from dealers:

Richardson Motorsports (Dallas area): OTD price - 29,744.75

Louis Powersports (Greenville TX): OTD price - 27,452.86 but this includes three year extended warranty

DUH.. obviously Louis is a better deal. The price on the bike was excellent 21,999 but they did not discount the options (1854 + 425 labor). The warranty seemed in line with what I've seen this site @ 799 but I can include in the financing...

Am I missing anything? Seems like maybe I should take this and run even without a discount on the options..

Thanks,
Andy

ulflyer
09-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Louis sounds like a good deal to me. I've noticed that prices on 12's have dropped some with 13's just around the corner.
That warranty, assuming its the Best, also includes towing from day one which is a handy thing to have whether you travel or not. Also the extended warranty will help on resell if you do so before it runs out.

cougar
09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
I would ditch the options and get just the bike + TTL.

SpyderAnn01
09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me but maybe you should wait until Monday to see what the new models have or don't have.

aperkin
09-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Louis sounds like a good deal to me. I've noticed that prices on 12's have dropped some with 13's just around the corner.
That warranty, assuming its the Best, also includes towing from day one which is a handy thing to have whether you travel or not. Also the extended warranty will help on resell if you do so before it runs out.

Well, I'm assuming that it is the BEST warranty... but definitely a good question to ask before I commit.

aperkin
09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I would ditch the options and get just the bike + TTL.

Since I didn't get a discount that thought did cross my mind... and maybe get it done with the 600 mile check. But then I would have to fork out cash at that time instead of piggybacking on the 1.99% financing my credit has given me.

aperkin
09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me but maybe you should wait until Monday to see what the new models have or don't have.

Not sure it really matters to me what the 2013 has. This is my first bike ever and the 2012 seems good enough for me.

Of course, the geek in me will want the latest and greatest but the 2013 won't have current availability and now is a great time to ride in the Dallas area... And they will have a larger price tag. So the deal trumps the geek.

cougar
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Ask yourself if you really need all that stuff.

Ivorspyder
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Louis is a good deal.I would suggestvyounget an official option from them until Tuesday and then see what the 2013 models have to offer.Just my opinion.

Ivor:spyder:

aperkin
09-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Ask yourself if you really need all that stuff.

I hear ya cougar... but not a question I want to ask myself. If was question of need, I wouldn't be getting the Spyder. :roflblack:

But I just WANT one... and my passenger; well...she WANTS the fully integrated audio/communication system in her helmet... especially the part where she can whisper in my ear and tell me where to go. :shemademe_smilie:

NancysToy
09-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I hear ya cougar... but not a question I want to ask myself. If was question of need, I wouldn't be getting the Spyder. :roflblack:

But I just WANT one... and my passenger; well...she WANTS the fully integrated audio/communication system in her helmet... especially the part where she can whisper in my ear and tell me where to go. :shemademe_smilie:
Lots of ways to integrate the communications and audio. Don't let it be the guiding light.

aperkin
09-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Lots of ways to integrate the communications and audio. Don't let it be the guiding light.

I have to admit that, despite crawling all over these forums, I'm still confused about the best way to get the full integrated communication thing down. I've never riden before so I certainly don't have knowledge base of the possibilities.

It seems to me that the simplest, albeit most expensive, solution is to get the full Spyder communications package. I like the fact that the radio, XM, CB, GPS, etc is integrated into the Spyder display, can be controlled with the Spyder controls and all heard through the wired headset. Plus the passenger communications capability.

I'm definitely open to other solutions but it does have to be somewhat easy to use or my wife just won't use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NancysToy
09-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I have to admit that, despite crawling all over these forums, I'm still confused about the best way to get the full integrated communication thing down. I've never riden before so I certainly don't have knowledge base of the possibilities.

It seems to me that the simplest, albeit most expensive, solution is to get the full Spyder communications package. I like the fact that the radio, XM, CB, GPS, etc is integrated into the Spyder display, can be controlled with the Spyder controls and all heard through the wired headset. Plus the passenger communications capability.

I'm definitely open to other solutions but it does have to be somewhat easy to use or my wife just won't use it.

The OEM system is easy in that it can be installed by the dealer, and it ties to the audio system without additional components (except the headsets). Setup is through the Spyder display (for the most part), but is not entirely well documented or understood. The GPS setup is the most difficult, although XM (if installed) can be a bother. Once set up, the systems work pretty much without difficulty. The XM, CB, and helmets/headsets would be optional extras. Only the factory Garmin 660 GPS works with the system (sometimes), although the 665 can be made to work with a wiring harness change.

Beyond that, there are both wired and wireless aftermarket systems. The high-end wired systems (the OEM system is wired) work very well once set up, but each component needs to be attached to the main comm unit separately. You (or your dealer) installs the comm unit, wires it up, and wires to each component. If you want to tie to the Spyder audio, you must add a component wired into the speakers. This takes a bit of skill and ingenuity. Setup is pretty straight forward, IMO. Once the systems are installed, you just plug in and speak. CB or FRS/GMRS radio function would not be available with this type of system without adding in an aftermarket radio. Best brands are Starcom1 and Autocom.

Wireless systems are installed on your helmets, and depend on Bluetooth to communicate to the GPS and phones. Hardest to integrate to the Spyder audio, and they would be difficult if not impossible to tie to an aftermarket CB. Sometimes they are hard to pair with other devices, but for the most part they work well. There is a limit to the number of devices you can pair to, though. Controls can be cumbersome with gloves. The units must be charged before each use, but will last most of the day on a charge. The Sena SMH10 and the Cardo Scala are the best units.

In short, if you want simple and quick, ready to go out of the box, it doesn't really exist. The closest you can come is to buy the factory system and all the available options, and have them dealer installed. You may still have some setup issues. Very few dealers are real familiar with the Spyder comm system, so they can't help in many cases. Even fewer are familiar with aftermarket systems. You are on your own there, especially for wireless.

aperkin
09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
The OEM system is easy in that it can be installed by the dealer, and it ties to the audio system without additional components (except the headsets). Setup is through the Spyder display (for the most part), but is not entirely well documented or understood. The GPS setup is the most difficult, although XM (if installed) can be a bother. Once set up, the systems work pretty much without difficulty. The XM, CB, and helmets/headsets would be optional extras. Only the factory Garmin 660 GPS works with the system (sometimes), although the 665 can be made to work with a wiring harness change.

Beyond that, there are both wired and wireless aftermarket systems. The high-end wired systems (the OEM system is wired) work very well once set up, but each component needs to be attached to the main comm unit separately. You (or your dealer) installs the comm unit, wires it up, and wires to each component. If you want to tie to the Spyder audio, you must add a component wired into the speakers. This takes a bit of skill and ingenuity. Setup is pretty straight forward, IMO. Once the systems are installed, you just plug in and speak. CB or FRS/GMRS radio function would not be available with this type of system without adding in an aftermarket radio. Best brands are Starcom1 and Autocom.

Wireless systems are installed on your helmets, and depend on Bluetooth to communicate to the GPS and phones. Hardest to integrate to the Spyder audio, and they would be difficult if not impossible to tie to an aftermarket CB. Sometimes they are hard to pair with other devices, but for the most part they work well. There is a limit to the number of devices you can pair to, though. Controls can be cumbersome with gloves. The units must be charged before each use, but will last most of the day on a charge. The Sena SMH10 and the Cardo Scala are the best units.

In short, if you want simple and quick, ready to go out of the box, it doesn't really exist. The closest you can come is to buy the factory system and all the available options, and have them dealer installed. You may still have some setup issues. Very few dealers are real familiar with the Spyder comm system, so they can't help in many cases. Even fewer are familiar with aftermarket systems. You are on your own there, especially for wireless.

Thanks Scotty.. that pretty much sums up what I had concluded but you said it so much more concisely and clearly.

Given that this is my first bike ever, I think the best road for me is the

Spyder comm system. More expensive and wired but probably the best way for me to start with the least hassle... I want to concentrate on adding other farkles to the bike such as led lights, foot board, etc.

I've been following this site for a couple months now and I must say that my wife and I are just so excited to join the Sypder community. Once I build up some road skills, I'm ready for some group rydes and meeting other Spyder Lovers along the way.

Will pull the trigger on Monday when the credit union opens again and, hopefully, they will have me in business by next weekend.

Andy

Dib52
09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Might want to check North Texas Yamaha in Lewsville. I was up there recently and at that tie they had 4 of the Lava Bronze. Couldn't tell ya price, I never asked. The wife was mre interested in the Blue RTS that was sitting on the floor with a 4000 discount. $23000 and change. Won't have everything of the Limited but give you all the good stuff, IMO. And their service department is better than the other two. Bought mine from Richardson and now have it serviced at NTY.

NancysToy
09-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks Scotty.. that pretty much sums up what I had concluded but you said it so much more concisely and clearly.

Given that this is my first bike ever, I think the best road for me is the

Spyder comm system. More expensive and wired but probably the best way for me to start with the least hassle... I want to concentrate on adding other farkles to the bike such as led lights, foot board, etc.

I've been following this site for a couple months now and I must say that my wife and I are just so excited to join the Sypder community. Once I build up some road skills, I'm ready for some group rydes and meeting other Spyder Lovers along the way.

Will pull the trigger on Monday when the credit union opens again and, hopefully, they will have me in business by next weekend.

Andy
Welcome aboard!

aperkin
09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Might want to check North Texas Yamaha in Lewsville. I was up there recently and at that tie they had 4 of the Lava Bronze. Couldn't tell ya price, I never asked. The wife was mre interested in the Blue RTS that was sitting on the floor with a 4000 discount. $23000 and change. Won't have everything of the Limited but give you all the good stuff, IMO. And their service department is better than the other two. Bought mine from Richardson and now have it serviced at NTY.

I did visit them just to see what the beasty looked like in person and will likely use them as my service dealer as I've heard some good things about them. Seriously doubt that they can beat the sales price from Louis... But they are really close to me as I live in Carrollton so perfect for service.

Andy

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE IN RELATION TO GREENVILLE TEXAS....BUT THEY CLAIM TO BE THE LARGEST DEALER IN THE US AND FROM WHAT I SAW ON E-BAY THEY ARE PRACTICALLY GIVING THEM AWAY...I'M NOT KIDDING ....CHECK THEM OUT.....MIKE......AND I KNOW PEOPLE HERE SAY YOU SHOULD BUY WHERE YOU WILL HAVE IT SERVICED AND SOMETIMES THAT WORKS OUT ..BUUUUUT SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T...........THE LAW SAYS THEY HAVE TO SERVICE IT......MIKE.......SORRY FOR THE CAPS ....... PHONE # 903-454-4440

Dib52
09-22-2012, 04:16 PM
I did visit them just to see what the beasty looked like in person and will likely use them as my service dealer as I've heard some good things about them. Seriously doubt that they can beat the sales price from Louis... But they are really close to me as I live in Carrollton so perfect for service.

Andy

Yeah, I doubt they'd be willing to beat the Louis price, just thought of them for ya due to proximity from Carrollton. I was very impressed with the service dept, glad I made the switch. And it's really fun to run Bush and 35 from over here in Wylie.

CyncySpyder
09-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE IN RELATION TO GREENVILLE TEXAS....BUT THEY CLAIM TO BE THE LARGEST DEALER IN THE US AND FROM WHAT I SAW ON E-BAY THEY ARE PRACTICALLY GIVING THEM AWAY...I'M NOT KIDDING ....CHECK THEM OUT.....MIKE......AND I KNOW PEOPLE HERE SAY YOU SHOULD BUY WHERE YOU WILL HAVE IT SERVICED AND SOMETIMES THAT WORKS OUT ..BUUUUUT SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T...........THE LAW SAYS THEY HAVE TO SERVICE IT......MIKE.......SORRY FOR THE CAPS ....... PHONE # 903-454-4440
Mike, you bring up some good points here, but I'll play devils advocate for a minute. In my area, we only have one dealer thats around & if you bought from them, then they consider you 'Family' & will do whatever they have to do to get you right in for service, which is great. However, the downside of this is, that if you didn't buy from THEM and you call for service, your told a 2-3 week wait time for a service appointment, then most are expected to drop their unit off and wait a few days for the service to be completed, cause if one of THEIR customers has an emergency, then your unit is put on the back burner and expected to wait as long as needed. Not saying this is right or wrong, but when your the only game in town, you can make your own rules.

Also, on the subject of farkles, if you have them installed by your dealer at time of purchase, then they are ALL covered by the same 2 year Warranty that covers the Spyder. If you have them installed later, then each individual item reverts to its own limited Warranty, which is usually much shorter than the Spyders Warranty of 2 years. I've seen some Electronics that were only covered for 90 days.

Just a couple things I thought I'd share & I hope you enjoy your New Ryde. Teddy & I would like to say :congrats: & :welcome:

wildtexasrangr
09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Im kinda in the same boat aperkin. I'm looking at the RT-S sm5 been talking to the same dealer.I found this helmet that might be what you need.Looks like the way Ill go.

http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit3.0_V-com.html

Hope this helps you .

aperkin
09-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Actually that is where I'm buying. It is Louis Powersports in Greenville. Google says 50 miles from my house.

aperkin
09-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Im kinda in the same boat aperkin. I'm looking at the RT-S sm5 been talking to the same dealer.I found this helmet that might be what you need.Looks like the way Ill go.

http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit3.0_V-com.html

Hope this helps you .

Those are nice looking helmets.. but I'm gonna go ahead and stick with the Spyder communication system.. it seems to be the best choice for me at this time.

aperkin
09-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Also, on the subject of farkles, if you have them installed by your dealer at time of purchase, then they are ALL covered by the same 2 year Warranty that covers the Spyder. If you have them installed later, then each individual item reverts to its own limited Warranty, which is usually much shorter than the Spyders Warranty of 2 years. I've seen some Electronics that were only covered for 90 days.

Just a couple things I thought I'd share & I hope you enjoy your New Ryde. Teddy & I would like to say :congrats: & :welcome:

We're fortunate in the Dallas area as there are a number of dealers around. I've two within 15 minutes of me. Then Louis in Greenville is about 50 miles away and there is at least one in Ft Worth and I hear good things about the dealer in Granbury which is probably 2-3 hours from me.

Gonna tell the salesman to push the button on Monday... after I see the announcements on Sun. But don't think there is anything that could make be delay any longer... maybe next weekend I'll be Ryding.. at least in my neighborhood... never been on the road with any bike before..

aperkin
09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I doubt they'd be willing to beat the Louis price, just thought of them for ya due to proximity from Carrollton. I was very impressed with the service dept, glad I made the switch. And it's really fun to run Bush and 35 from over here in Wylie.

My daughter's best friend, who is like a daughter to us, lives in Wylie. If you're running Bush, I live just south of there around the Josey exit.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Dave, as stated above it's really a theory. The selling dealer doesn't make the big bucks on the sale of the Spyder the margin is not that big......Where the money is made is when the dealer charges you $125 per hour to change your oil and pays that employee minium wage. And this is not confined to Spyders....the same goes for 90 % of car and truck dealers......really high end car dealers have very large mark ups ...they only sell 50 cars a year or less.......this is just the economics of things......And there have been Spyderlovers here who have been totally screwed by the dealers they bought their spyders from.......I was.......You obviously have a good/great dealer and for that I' m glad but not everyone can say that...Mike

aperkin
09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Well.. I finally made a decision and purchased a 2012 Lava Bronze/tan seat RT Limited. :2thumbs:

I really, really wanted to go local with North Texas Yamaha because that is the dealer where I took my first two test drives in their back lot, they are the closest dealer to me (10-15 min) and I've heard some good things about their service dept. Because of all that I wanted to give them a chance to meet the best deal that I received... however they didn't beat it.. but, to my surprise, they were within a couple hundred dollars or so... so I pick it from NTY up on Saturday... YAHOO!!! :yes:

I decided to hold off on the whole communications package for now. After the great input in this and other threads I decided to hold off a bit. Since this is my first bike ever, I really don't know what is really important for me as far as that is concerned. And, it'll probably be a while before I'm up to any really long rydes. So I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Based on what I learned @ SyperLovers I asked the salesman to have the tech set the front shocks to at least a 4... He said that they always set them to a 5 now based on customer feedback... sounds like they know what they are doing.

Never actually been on the road with a motorcycle before so driving it home should be a blast... so looking forward to being a :doorag: and meeting lots and lots of Spyder Ryders. :ohyea:

Jimmy Neutron
09-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Well.. I finally made a decision and purchased a 2012 Lava Bronze/tan seat RT Limited. :2thumbs:

I really, really wanted to go local with North Texas Yamaha because that is the dealer where I took my first two test drives in their back lot, they are the closest dealer to me (10-15 min) and I've heard some good things about their service dept. Because of all that I wanted to give them a chance to meet the best deal that I received... however they didn't beat it.. but, to my surprise, they were within a couple hundred dollars or so... so I pick it from NTY up on Saturday... YAHOO!!! :yes:

I decided to hold off on the whole communications package for now. After the great input in this and other threads I decided to hold off a bit. Since this is my first bike ever, I really don't know what is really important for me as far as that is concerned. And, it'll probably be a while before I'm up to any really long rydes. So I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Based on what I learned @ SyperLovers I asked the salesman to have the tech set the front shocks to at least a 4... He said that they always set them to a 5 now based on customer feedback... sounds like they know what they are doing.

Never actually been on the road with a motorcycle before so driving it home should be a blast... so looking forward to being a :doorag: and meeting lots and lots of Spyder Ryders. :ohyea:
Good Luck, Enjoy. Be safe and welcome aboard

Dib52
09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats, good choice on color combo(I knew they had that one) and way to go keeping it close to home. After you get your feet wet, Wylie isn't that far if you want to ryde. I have some pretty fun loops around the lakes, up rt 66, across 380, etc.:2thumbs::congrats:

aperkin
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Congrats, good choice on color combo(I knew they had that one) and way to go keeping it close to home. After you get your feet wet, Wylie isn't that far if you want to ryde. I have some pretty fun loops around the lakes, up rt 66, across 380, etc.:2thumbs::congrats:

Absolutely!!! Will give you a holler when I build up some skill and confidence.

What's more fun than riding a Spyder? Riding a Spyder with another Spyder Ryder!

Dib52
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Absolutely!!! Will give you a holler when I build up some skill and confidence.

What's more fun than riding a Spyder? Riding a Spyder with another Spyder Ryder!

Confidence comes fairly quick(500 mi or so) and I'll be waiting.:yes::thumbup::yes:

Buttsy
09-25-2012, 04:36 PM

Good for you...........I laugh when I see people make a decision based on a couple of hundred bucks when they are spending $ 25-30k? Then cry like a little baby because their $ 200.00 less dealer has crappy customer service or technical service. Congrats and enjoy!!

Ivorspyder
09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
:congrats:You bought exactly what I have and love it.And Lava Bronze is the fastest color.:yes::thumbup::2thumbs:

Ivor:spyder:

stevedfive
09-25-2012, 08:14 PM
FYI: BRP advised me that any accessories that are included/bought at the time of the Spyder purchase AND are installed by the dealer as part of the initial Spyder purchase price, would be covered for the full length of the Spyder warranty (2-5 years) and not just the 90 day BRP accessory warranty.

Flight Risk
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM

I totally agree with Dib on the three dealerships mentioned. I went to Greenville first (rude and arrogant, no test drive without $500 check that you wouldn't get back....I kid you not) then went to Richardson Motor Sports.......got a good deal but the owner is an a$$ and service, well they have one certified tech, period.

I think I am going to check travel time to Lewisville.........RMS is very close but darn. IF you want to go to RMS, show your deal (from Greenville) to Christopher. I would be very surprised if he didn't match it at least.

NancysToy
09-25-2012, 09:35 PM
FYI: BRP advised me that any accessories that are included/bought at the time of the Spyder purchase AND are installed by the dealer as part of the initial Spyder purchase price, would be covered for the full length of the Spyder warranty (2-5 years) and not just the 90 day BRP accessory warranty.
They also have to be specifically listed on the warranty registration. Make sure the part numbers are on the registration form before you sign it. There is a place to list them.

aperkin
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
I think I am going to check travel time to Lewisville.........RMS is very close but darn. IF you want to go to RMS, show your deal (from Greenville) to Christopher. I would be very surprised if he didn't match it at least.

I got my first quote from Kyle @ RMS but he wasn't even in the same ballpark. Told him what the Greenville was advertising but he wouldn't budge so it was buh-bye.

Billy @ NTY came through within a couple hundred of the Greenville price so he got the sale.

aperkin
09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
They also have to be specifically listed on the warranty registration. Make sure the part numbers are on the registration form before you sign it. There is a place to list them.

Actually I decided to hold off with the accessories for now. Since this is my first bike, figured I would wait six months and see what happens. Besides I can spend some of that dough on some farkles. Been eyeing those Seal floorboards.. Maybe bling out with some LEDs. Oh boy, the fun is just beginning.

angel
09-25-2012, 11:05 PM
You should take a drive out to Ganbury They will beat any deal in the metro area and are great to deal with. You dont have to use them for your service so if you worry about the drive just use a local dealer.

Mich Milson is the owner

wildtexasrangr
09-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Jealous!! lol really be safe my friend.

AbNormy
09-26-2012, 12:32 AM
:clap:CONGRATULATIONS! :yes: