PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss the lean?

LittleJohn
01-04-2008, 03:02 PM
As I am considering VERY MUCH buying a Spyder, I wanted to get some feedback from those that now have had them a bit.

If the Spyder replaced your motorcycle, do you miss how a 2 wheel bike reacts versus the Spyder?
If you have a Spyder in addition to a motorcycle, do you prefer one over the other? Could you live with just the Spyder?

Any thoughts or feedback on this issue are more than welcome.

I havent found out whether Ill be able get back on 2 wheels or need to go to 3, but Id like to have all my research done when the time is right to "pull the trigger" on my next ride.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Lamonster
01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
One of the main reasons I love the Spyder is because it's not like a motorcycle at all, if it's like anything it's like a fourweeler. How cool is it to blast down the highway on something that acts like a fourwheeler! ;D

If i could only pick one it would be a motorcycle hands down but the fun factor is still there with the Spyder, it's like saying what's more fun, Bungee Jumping or Skydiving? ;D They are both cool in their own way. :doorag:

hevnbound
01-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes .. I miss the lean!! I had a wild idea when I purchased the Spyder that it may satisfy my open-air street riding habit and I would possibly get rid of my Bandit. Because of it being new and different, I only rode the Spyder exclusively for a couple of weeks. I then had a couple of guys I ride with to put together a ride - I took the Bandit. No longer do I have any thoughts of getting rid of my two-wheeler. There is still nothing like aceing a tight curve on two wheels and powering out of it!!

The Spyder however, offers an exhilaration of its own. Totally different from two-wheel. It offers different challenges and thrills! And, that is a good thing. Since the riding styles are so opposed to each other, I have a bonafide reason to tell the wife why it is necessary to keep both ::)

I will say this .... When I spent so much time on the Spyder and then switched over to the Bandit - I was actually a little anxious at first! Since you can ride the Spyder almost with reckless abandonment and not worry about falling over, the rear tire coming out from under you, hitting gravel, etc., etc. .... I was hesitant on the Bandit. It didn't take long however before I was in full lean giving it full throttle blasting out of the curves.

I love them both - equally as well ........ where have I heard that before?! ::)

Lamonster
01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
:agree:

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/4720/1109gap2.jpg

Spyd3r
01-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't miss sliding sideways on the left cover of a '73 Superglide in left turns. Back end breaking loss from out underneath you on wet leaves, loose gravel, sand. But it really is to different things. You can't really think the Spyder around like a 2 wheeler, you have to use more body english, some like snowmobile and some like 4 wheeler.

Spyderman
01-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I am more comfortable on a bike, love to lean but the Spyder burnouts are cool and also hanging on in the turns is a blast

gosurf
01-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I haven't received my Spyder yet (should be in the next shipment), but I am selling my Harley and will only be riding the Spyder. If I had the funds and a large enough garage for both vehicles that would be great; but the main reason I decided to get rid of the hog was after a long test drive (over an hour) on a wet, slippery day when I couldn't believe how relaxed I was on the Spyder. Even on the highway at 70+ m.p.h., after just learning how to ride the thing, I was really able to enjoy the ride without some of the fears that unfortunately seem to flash through my mind when I'm on 2 wheels. The other posts are correct--it's hard to compare because the rides and cornering are so different. But personally I have no regrets about selling my Harley, and I think I will ride a lot more and longer distances because I just dig being on the Spyder. And if I miss two wheels, I can always rent a Harley for the weekend.

joet
01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
sold them both 2 wheeler drag bike & 2 wheels w/ side car, the spyder is way more fun to ride 2 wheels no more for me. this is next as soon as I take a test ride in march/april at the dealers.
http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20071220/4/1/4/414369088d3440d4ce9aacd1185022130_large.jpg

billclemen
01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
The Spyder's ride reminds me of a sidecar since it does not lean. But, in actuality, it is much easier to ride than a sidecar since the drive wheel is centered and it has two wheels that steer. I have more confidence with 3 wheels. Wet leaves or gravel in a curve are not the same concern as on 2 wheels. Same for potholes or rocks. I can brake as hard as I want, etc. The Spyder does exactly what I wanted it to do.

srarndt
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, I miss the lean.

No, I don't miss it enough to regret getting my Spyder. For me, it offers sooo many things that I love, that I no longer miss my 2 wheeled bike.

I agree with those above who say it is two separate experiences riding them, but the thing that is so much the same is the riding in the environment instead of riding through it in a car. Oh yeah, and great performance. Oh yeah, and being fun. Oh yeah, and no offense to the HD lovers - I love 'em too, it's not just "another Harley". I like having something more unique.

To each their own passion; mine is for riding!

emillio
01-06-2008, 10:11 AM
since 1999 when I sold my FXRS Lowrider Convertible I have been driving three wheelers: Grinnall Scorpions (BMW K12RS powerplant), or a JZR (Morgan replica with Honda CX650), TriHawk, Freeway, Sparrows, or other three wheelers.

Then last year I bought a Piaggio MP3 SCOOTER. THREE wheels and it will lean WAY over ! I mean WAY OVER ! Feels just like snowboarding , excpt you aren't wet and cold !

I put down a deposit for a Spyder. I have already passed on receiving my Spyder once, and am hoping the automatic is available in the next 6 months. I think it is a GREAT vehicle and have no doubt it will succeed.http://

So many fun rides !

emillio

LittleJohn
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Tanks for al the replies!!!!
Not sure what kind of restrictions Im gonna end up with at his point, so wanted to get a feel for your opinions. All the replies kind of wrap up how Im feelin at this point.
Thanks to all!