PDA

View Full Version : Trailer mode

bmwlarry
09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I pull a trailer with my RTS SE5. I hate the dramatic, high RPM aggressive downshifts while braking!

Exactly what does thw Trailer mode do?

Can you not just use the regular mode and adjust you shift points to higher upshifts?

Does it harm anything to allow the downshifts the happen by themselves in regular mode "while towing" to avoid the too aggressive mode downshifts?

Often when the trailer mode downshifts occur, the bike launches forward terribly!
Thanks

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Larry,
I haven't towed anything, but I've tinkered with trailer mode to see what kind of fun it might be to drag something along...
It certainly does change the charactistics of the bike! :shocked:
My understanding (If it can be called that!:opps:), is that they've adjusted the shift-points in order to better keep the engine in the powerband when towing. I think that the clutch lockup has also been affected so that you don't end up burning up a clutch pack! :yikes:
They are also using engine-braking a bit more to help in the slowing chores; that's why the downshift points have been raised...
You could; I suppose, alter your shifting points to mimic what trailer mode does... Why not let the computers do the heavy lifting?
Anyway; If I was towing; I'd use it! :thumbup: But that's just me, and I'm a "fraidey-cat"! :opps:

bmwlarry
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
anyone else with input that tows?

lyonsden
09-20-2012, 03:25 PM
I tow and I use the trailer mode. I have a 2011 Spyder RT. I just like to travel without to much worry so I use it. I just wish it would stay in trailer mode until I took it out. Sometimes when you restart after a fuel stop it is not in trailer mode any longer. No real reason I can see why sometimes it stays and sometimes it don't but I still love the thing.:yes:

bmwlarry
09-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I have heard of that but mine stays in trailer mode until I take it out. Interesting how one model varies from to another within the same year.?

Illinois Boy
09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Read your manual. The warning is that you can do major damage to your Spyder if towing without being in tow-mode.

It is your Spyder... Gamble with its future if you want.

It also controls traction control, Steering, and ABS.

So "yes" a lot is going on in trailer mode.

Pennyrick
09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
We pull our trailers quite a bit and although we used the trailer mode setting on our first RT's (a 2010 and a 2011) we quickly decided it felt to quirky in that setting.

We have never engaged that setting on the 2012's but use engine braking a lot on our trips into the mountains.

Our trailers are not loaded very heavily. At the most a suitcase, extra can of gas, cooler, some extra outwear and folding chairs. Maybe 150-175 lbs. Maximum.

My feeling is that since we never ride two up, the trailer weight on our machines is probably less than carrying an extra passenger.

NancysToy
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Often when the trailer mode downshifts occur, the bike launches forward terribly!
Thanks
If your Spyder lurches forward when it downshifts, you are probably still on the throttle. That would indicate that you are trying to operate at too low rpm.

Our trailers are not loaded very heavily. At the most a suitcase, extra can of gas, cooler, some extra outwear and folding chairs. Maybe 150-175 lbs. Maximum.
I hate to say it, but your trailers are fully loaded at this point, or even overloaded. The towing limit on the RT is 400 pounds. The RT-622 weighs 250 pounds. That leaves a cargo capacity of 150 pounds max.

bmwlarry
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
NancysToy

The terrible lurch happens while I am stopping. The throttle is rolled completely off. I thought that this may be the case so I was careful to see where I am with regards to throttle when slowing down. Any other suggestions??
Thanks

NancysToy
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
NancysToy

The terrible lurch happens while I am stopping. The throttle is rolled completely off. I thought that this may be the case so I was careful to see where I am with regards to throttle when slowing down. Any other suggestions??
Thanks
Right at the point of stopping, or at each downshift?

bmwlarry
09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
It seems to becomes worse with each automatic downshift. I have even removed my grip and it still seems too much. Yesterday, I even think there was a tiny bit of tire "squeal" as it lurched forward when going from 2 to 1 automatically.