PDA

View Full Version : Engine RPM Limiter

hackett43
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
"What is the purpose of an engine RPM limiter and what would happen if it failed?"

Hackett43

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
In theory, the rev limiter will keep you from exceeding a certain rpm limitation that has been set by the manufacturer...
If it fails... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gifit's just like pulling the pin on a grenade... :yikes:

NancysToy
09-20-2012, 11:26 AM
If the rev limiter fails, and you are being naughty, you blow the engine. That can entail anything from bent valves, to broken pistons, to broken connecting rods. You really don't want to find out the hard way! The insides of the engine don't look so good on the outside.

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Look up some of "Doc's" threads if you really want to see motor-guts... :shocked:

hackett43
09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Look up some of "Doc's" threads if you really want to see motor-guts... :shocked:

I will look them up, Thanks.

hackett43
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
In theory, the rev limiter will keep you from exceeding a certain rpm limitation that has been set by the manufacturer...
If it fails... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gifit's just like pulling the pin on a grenade... :yikes:

Is the Rev Limiter a type of device or is it controlled thru the ECU ? If it is device can it be tested for failure ?

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Pure electronics... there's nothing to test because I imagine that it's hidden in the code... :shocked: Buried in the 'puter... :yikes:

hackett43
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Pure electronics... there's nothing to test because I imagine that it's hidden in the code... :shocked: Buried in the 'puter... :yikes:

I was kinda thinking that, I appreciate your input.

SpyderFun
09-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Bob,
Are you sure about this?
So there is no mechanical mechanism?

If it is 100% code, then how does anyone know if it really works as "designed" without going into "Limp Mode" (I assume this code is what limits higher RPMs)?

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Think about it for a minute...With all of the Branipower that these critters are hiding under the Tupperware; why would they resort to a mechanical contrapton?
Does it work? Crank up the loud grip and find out! :2thumbs:
Can it fail? Do we have heart attacks and strokes? Anything can fail...

StanProff
09-20-2012, 02:16 PM
the limiter certainly will keep you out of trouble in reverse! It would be so easy to get "out of hand" going backwards.

billybovine
09-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Bob,
Are you sure about this?

If it is 100% code, then how does anyone know if it really works as "designed" without going into "Limp Mode" (I assume this code is what limits higher RPMs)?

Easy to test. Next time you go for a ride let the RPM get to 9,500 and the rev limiter will kick in. There is no limp mode for this.

vrodrjs
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Bob,
Are you sure about this?

If he isn't, I am. It is a setting in the ECM. On HD's it can be adjusted with a programmer (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) based on internal mods that have been done. It isn't something that fails. If you have an overwhelming desire to make sure it is working, put the bike in second gear and run down the road wide open until it loses power. That will be the rev limiter kicking in. Scares the heck out of you the first time you hit it on a freshly built (bored and stroked) vrod because it feels like you just did something bad.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I am familiar with MSD, ACCEL, MALLORY etc. digital ignitions and they all have rev limiters built in....these are all electronic devices....I am not familiar with any Manual type devices.......The electronic ones can be set manually to the max limit by various ways though......Mike...:thumbup:

Illinois Boy
09-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I believe they think it is like the old governors on carbed motors...:rolleyes:

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Ain't it amazing what they ca do with stuff that we couldn't even imagine thirty years ago?? :shocked: :thumbup:

denviola
09-20-2012, 05:22 PM
If he isn't, I am. It is a setting in the ECM. On HD's it can be adjusted with a programmer (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) based on internal mods that have been done. It isn't something that fails. If you have an overwhelming desire to make sure it is working, put the bike in second gear and run down the road wide open until it loses power. That will be the rev limiter kicking in. Scares the heck out of you the first time you hit it on a freshly built (bored and stroked) vrod because it feels like you just did something bad.

If you watch the drags and listen to the bikes or cars stuttering just before launch, that is a rev limiter in play. All of us in the Shelby Dodge club modify our computers, that's one of the easy ways to get more power from the turbo four cylinder cars. The code has the rev limiter and other cool things like fuel curves and the waste gate setting (holds the boost higher and longer). Several in our local chapter burn calibrations using a simple EPROM device. As for the spyder, maybe I'll look at the code after the extended warranty runs out but probably not. The spyder is for pleasure riding, and I took the Harley (with a power commander module) for a ride the other day to remind me the spyder is indeed a pleasure!

Yazz
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I thought that BRP swore there was no Rev Limiter on the Spyder...

All you have to do is put her in neutral, twist the throttle, and you'll hear the rev limiter.

Have to do that once in a while to keep the Harleys in their place... ;)

SpyderFun
09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I believe they think it is like the old governors on carbed motors...:rolleyes:

Nope....but given I have not been to the factory school for the Spyder.....I played it smart by asking! ;)
Given what I know about electronics in the aviation community, I did have an "belief" it was coded electronically. nojoke

SpyderFun
09-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Check the RT Ops Manual - Specifications - Electrical System - page 154 (for the 2010 model) - RPM Limited to 9,500

Bob Denman
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Do you think that they've hidden a Lumberjack in the frunk who'll jump out and beat you with an axe handle if you try to exceed the proscribed limit? :shocked:
That would be mechanical; maybe? :dontknow: :roflblack: :ohyea: :joke:

NancysToy
09-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I believe you are thinking about when they were saying there was a mph limiter, which later proved to be false.

Mr. White
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Check the RT Ops Manual - Specifications - Electrical System - page 154 (for the 2010 model) - RPM Limited to 9,500

My limiter kicks in at 9,200. Do not ask how I know....I am talking only about my BR1, no other Spyder....just mine.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
09-21-2012, 08:38 AM
I thought that was where your pacemaker kicked in, George! :roflblack:

Mr. White
09-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Actually, Bob, it is set to kick in at 65...ha ha Seldom does, but it is a great backup...ha ha