PDA

View Full Version : ROADKILL TO POTTHOLES

crazyspyder
09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
HEY, :spyder2: budds.
do you guys hold on for dear life or try to maneuver majically out of harms way. I seem to encounter alot of junk and road kill. I have
been fortunate so far and luck has been on my side. dodged a dead deer recently (had a good brake lane).:pray:
SO my question would be ;
do you try to avoid those nasty things in the middle of the road?:yikes:
they are hard to avoid on a 3 wheeler!:banghead:
---2012 RT SE5 lava with 3200mi and grining from ear to ear--C H E E R S:yes:

SPYD3R
09-18-2012, 06:52 PM
last October, on a trip to Florida, at 9 o'clock at night, my right front wheel found a deer-head in the road... i never saw it until i was ON IT... the 2 wheelers were shocked that i cruised right over it without any problems... i do try to avoid things, when i see them, but remember, 3 wheels is far more stable than 2... :bowdown:

Captain Fin
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
HEY, :spyder2: budds.
do you guys hold on for dear life or try to maneuver majically out of harms way. I seem to encounter alot of junk and road kill. I have
been fortunate so far and luck has been on my side. dodged a dead deer recently (had a good brake lane).:pray:
SO my question would be ;
do you try to avoid those nasty things in the middle of the road?:yikes:
they are hard to avoid on a 3 wheeler!:banghead:
---2012 RT SE5 lava with 3200mi and grining from ear to ear--C H E E R S:yes:
I drive with my high beam on at night to avoid road kill and gators and such. Also during the day I keep a respectable distance from the vehicle in front of me to allow time to steer around objects in the road. Road kill or other objects in the road can damage your spyder or even cause you to wreck. I hit a dead bears head driving a 18 wheeler in south Florida that got caught between the drive tires and tore off the fender in front of the drive tires. We have two kinds of gators here in Florida, the live ones and the ones off trucks. Both can be deadly to a biker.

SpyderAnn01
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Like the others have said you should try to avoid if possible but if not it is suggested in the Owner's Manual to avoid hitting objects with the front tires. If you think 3 wheels is hard try pulling the RT-622! I was told that I hit a squirrel last week with my trailer but I didn't even know it.

NancysToy
09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
As was said, it is often hard to avoid an object. Small ones can be avoided by taking them just inside the front tire, but larger ones are unavoidable. Nothing can be avoided with the trailer. I'd suggest getting a SpyderPops BumpSkid, aka CritterSplitter. It won't help you avoid an object, but it may save you some repairs on the bodywork.

Schnauzer
09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Leave plenty of room ahead and keep a close eye down the road. Highbeams @night when possible. Slow down when possible. use the ditch only as a last resort. Around here some of the shoulder droppoffs are more than the clearance of the "Auto/Bike", this could be a rut that you can't escape...

crazyspyder
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
:thumbup:gona take nancys advice and order the RT bupskid aka ''critter-splitter''.ordered HID's aswell for the fronts. I work the grave yard shift- so its a priority!:ani29:

warp10
09-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep, get the spyderpops skid plate. :firstplace:

I also might think about a set of Elka's, they will raise the bike up about 1" higher.