PDA

View Full Version : how much wind, is too much wind

FlaBound
09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Been having fun with the new spyder. Mostly on country roads. Keeping it under 50-60mph.
Taking it in for the 600 mi check up tomorrow morning, then heading out for a several hour trip.
I've noticed during the few times I've taken the spyder on the highway, I've been buffeted by wind.
Granted, I'm not very experienced with this machine, but it was a bit disconcerting.
The wind was in the 20mph+/- range.
I quess my question is;
At what point does one avoid high speed driving due to windy conditions?

........Or, at what point should a newbie driver avoid high speed driving in windy conditions?.....

SPYD3R
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
when you feel uncomfortable.... that's when...

boborgera
09-18-2012, 06:50 PM

I quess my question is;
At what point does one avoid high speed driving due to windy conditions?

........Or, at what point should a newbie driver avoid high speed driving in windy conditions?.....

Not trying to be facetious here, But i think when common sense kicks in,
Or if you start getting white knuckles from holding on to the bars too tight.
The Spyder handles better in high winds with light steering inputs.

Illinois Boy
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Thus far you have been given good advice... follow it.

However, just so you know... as you gain more experience, skills, confidence, and comfort in commanding your Spyder... you will be able to handle considerably high winds.

Where I live... 20 MPH winds are common daily. Gusts can hit 50-60 MPH, which do not feel good, but doesn't rattle me as it might have once; so I still ride in winds that are considered fairly high-winds.

So your answer to how high of winds can a Spyder handle... it is higher than 50-60 MPH gusts... that much I know. However, as has been suggested to you... don't exceed your comfort-level until you have spent more time in the saddle.

In addition... click on the link in my signature for Do's and Don't for new riders. Maybe it will help on other issues.

Ride safe and often...

FlaBound
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Not trying to be facetious here, But i think when common sense kicks in,
Or if you start getting white knuckles from holding on to the bars too tight.
The Spyder handles better in high winds with light steering inputs.

Your not being facetious at all. I appreciate the responses.
I'm still at the stage, that I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

Good advice though. I'll take my highway progress with "baby steps"

boborgera
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Your not being facetious at all. I appreciate the responses.

:thumbup:
:thumbup:

Dib52
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Related to the wind, can I ask where you have the shocks and tire pressures set at? Dial up the shocks to setting 4 or 5 and make sure tire pressures are18-19 in the front, and you "should" feel a handling difference in the wind, more stable, more planted, and less buffeting. Took me some to get used to but the members on here set me straight. I was originally just on dealer set up with shocks at 3 and the pressure at 15. Have since corrected and what a difference.

Rar
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm a very new rider and presently, 15 -18 mph sustained winds are uncomfortable for me. I still go out in those winds, but I don't enjoy it. Of course, along with the sustained winds on a windy day, are the unpredictable gusts. :yikes: I'm seriously considering the cal-sci windshield, which I expect will be a huge help.

Netminder
09-18-2012, 07:14 PM
I noticed after having my Elkas installed that went away!:yes::clap:

spydaman60
09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Related to the wind, can I ask where you have the shocks and tire pressures set at? Dial up the shocks to setting 4 or 5 and make sure tire pressures are18-19 in the front, and you "should" feel a handling difference in the wind, more stable, more planted, and less buffeting. Took me some to get used to but the members on here set me straight. I was originally just on dealer set up with shocks at 3 and the pressure at 15. Have since corrected and what a difference.

right on!! :thumbup: 19 psi in the front with a five setting on the shocks makes all the difference in the world, however only drive it when you feel comfortable driving it!!!!:thumbup:

SpyderSue
09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
When I bought my Spyder, I flew back to Missouri and had to ride it 700 miles back to Colorado. When we hit eastern Colorado, there was a storm front heading our way. While we missed the rain and lightning, we got hit with the 60 to 70 mph cross winds. I was petrified, but recognized that I had to just ride through it - pulling over would have taken hours for it to go by. I crouched down behind the windshield and held on for dear life at about 55 mph. What did I learn? Trust the Spyder. I was being blown around, not the byke so much. Hold one with your knees, not your hands and TRY to relax. Let the Spyder do what it does best, and minimize your exposure to the wind. Windshield can help, however I took mine off for the summer because it worked too well, and I was too warm. It is back on now. Good luck, and enjoy your ride. Oh, and stop clenching your teeth :D

SpyderAnn01
09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Try to relax and loosen your grip on the bars and you should feel better. A death grip will make you feel everything. I've ridden in some extreme wind conditions and my only issue is sometimes I get a stiff neck from trying to keep my head and helmet straight. Good luck.

dancogan
09-19-2012, 07:17 AM
When I got stuck many miles from home in very high winds I found an alternate road that permitted me to ride at slower speeds. That let me survive the trip home and ride another day!

Bob Denman
09-19-2012, 07:20 AM

There's no such thing as a "wrong" question; only answers that don't adequately address the issue... :shocked:

Use your own comfort level to decide what you should or shouldn't tackle at this time... :thumbup:

Lamonster
09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
First off wind is much worst for me to drive in than rain, the only thing worst is wind and rain. I've never pulled over to wait out the wind but I've thought about it many times. It's hard to know when to hang on tight or to relax your grip, either way wind is no fun.

quickster47
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
When Bob Dylan wrote "Blowin' In The Wind" he had never even ridden a Spyder but he still knew what it was like.

Carl

StormSpyder
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
We were in Texas in May and the winds were 30 to 40 mph buffing and cross, we had planned on a long ride, the wind was too much. When it moves you around on the bike or moves the bic, stop or get home. We had started out the the day with no wind and were lucky we were only 20 miles from camp site.

Stormspyder

SDM
09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Ryding back to Newland, NC from Lamonsters BBQ:bbq: the hubby (Tobor 9) and I got caught in both wind and enough rain to drown a frog!!! The only thing you can do is trust the Spyder and watch out for 18 wheelers!! That's fun :gaah:. Not only are you getting the extra wind from them but you are also getting more water. We should have brought soap!!! Great shower!!! The byke handled the wind and rain better than I did. Had on the Frogg Togg jacket but not the pants. Oh well...:lecturef_smilie:

Rayelljay
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Great advice in all these replies.
I was never a lover of slab rydin' on a two wheeler but since I've been aboard the Spyder I quite enjoy it. You'll soon find out what vehicles create the most turbulence...18 wheelers and vans I find the worst.
Also remember that nearly all vans and big SUV's do NOT come from the manufacturer with functional turn signals or brake lights.

ARtraveler
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I can't add much to the above. :welcome: It gets better the more miles you put on.

FlaBound
09-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow! What a good day, thanks to all the great advice.
Left the house for Hanover PA, about 8:00am this morning, for my 600 mile check up.
Had the #3 factory setting on the shocks ramped up to 4 ( may try 5 at a later time ), oil change, tweeking etc..
Then headed out to Frederick Md for work ( Yea, got to work riding my spyder on a nice sunny day. Life is good).
Part of the journey took me onto parts of I-70 that are under construction.
Narrowed lanes, 18 wheelers, and 65mph speed limit, and pretty good winds. Don't know the exact speed, but trees were bending over.

Happy to report, that I felt pretty confident. Not overconfident, but pretty confident.
Kept my hands relaxed, looked further ahead, and trusted the bike.

I'm starting to be "part of" the bike, rather than "on" the bike.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-19-2012, 05:23 PM
:2thumbs: Great news! :2thumbs:
Now :shocked: If you find yourself in a situation that doesn't give you the "warm & Fuzzies" on the street; relax... don't do anything too quickly... If you're in traffic; the last thing you want to do in a hurry is shed a lot of speed... Just roll out of it slowly while taking a deep breath... The bike will know how to do what it needs to do, so trust it a little bit...
Take small steps while you're in this steep part of the learning curve; relax and enjoy the view from behind the bars! :thumbup:

crossbowme
09-19-2012, 06:19 PM
One thing about 18 wheelers whether you're driving a car, motorcycle or a unicycle. When you get ready to pass don't delay - put the hammer down and get by them as quickly as you can. In motorcycles, the less time you spend being buffeted by them the better. Better to go a few MPH faster to get by them quickly and safely and then slow back to your cruise speed.

FlaBound
09-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Having never ridden a spyder (or a motorcycle since my youth for that matter), after the wow factor surrounding the appearance and specs of the RT wore off, it was really my faith in what many of you have talked about that got me to pull the trigger.
And my faith in what you spyder addicts have been saying is slowly coming true, as I get accustomed to this machine.
This thing is a TRIP! :yes::yes:

Rar
09-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Having never ridden a spyder (or a motorcycle since my youth for that matter), after the wow factor surrounding the appearance and specs of the RT wore off, it was really my faith in what many of you have talked about that got me to pull the trigger.
And my faith in what you spyder addicts have been saying is slowly coming true, as I get accustomed to this machine.
This thing is a TRIP! :yes::yes:

:agree: This is me too. Depending on and trusting the experience of the folks here to get me through my learning curve. :clap:

lookerjdc
09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
had a drs appt yesterday and decided to ride my spyder to the office

when i came out after the appt i saw very very large storm clouds out over the ocean heading towards the shore so i hopped on my spyder and headed home, about a 15 minute ride

as the clouds continued to get closer the winds started picking up, to the point where i felt like i was riding against a brick wall with a bungie attached to the rear of the trike...

i still have the stock windshield on ( my calsci hasnt arrived yet) and the buffeting was intense to say the least

got hone 5 minutes before the rain started.... it was not an enjoyable ride

hoping the new windshield will help stop all the buffeting but, regardless, i dont plan on riding when there are storm clouds like that rolling in

as others have said, its a matter of whats comfortable, feels safe, etc in deciding when to ride

MouthPiece
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
My wife, Cindy, read the thread title and said I should be an expert in answering. Hmmmmmmmmmm. :yikes:

Chris

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Well since you brought it up... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif