PDA

View Full Version : WHEEL CHOCKS! Revisited..........

currin20fan
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Bit the bullet and bought an Alumna Trailer for my spyder RT. This is a "just in case" move since I live almost 2 hours from the dealer. Anyhow, I have read previous comments on the forum concerning wheel chocks and was wondering if anyone has found less expensive wheel chocks that are safe for trailering my RT. $460 for a "just in case" isn't my cup of tea......:hun:

gln2
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM
When I trailer mine I dont use wheel chalks at all. I put it in gear set the break and use ratchet straps on the wheels.

cougar
09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Which model trailer did you get?

grumpybob
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
When I trailer mine I dont use wheel chalks at all. I put it in gear set the break and use ratchet straps on the wheels.

I do the same as above and 4 black hard rubber chocks for the front tires to keep any strain off the rims. They are the same ones I use for the trailer tires when the trailer is unhooked from the truck.

NorthStar
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I bolted two basic motorcycle wheel chocks to the floor of my open landscape trailer to secure the front wheels of my RT during transit. I ride the Spyder up onto the trailer and firmly wedge the front wheels in the motorcycle chocks before applying the parking brake. All three wheels are then secured with straps to in floor anchors. The straps are wrapped in rags to protect the finish on the rims.

Basic motorcycle chocks can be purchased for under $30.00 a piece. They also make kits that allow you to remove the chocks from the trailer floor when not needed.

I have seen people transport their Spyders on a trailer without wheel chocks. If you have a good tie down system that secures all three wheels then chocks are simply another layer of security. I like the extra security, but that is just me.

meancj7
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
[:clap:well was the bullet salty or sweet? Great news congrats.

QUOTE=currin20fan;516831]Bit the bullet and bought an Alumna Trailer for my spyder RT. This is a "just in case" move since I live almost 2 hours from the dealer. Anyhow, I have read previous comments on the forum concerning wheel chocks and was wondering if anyone has found less expensive wheel chocks that are safe for trailering my RT. $460 for a "just in case" isn't my cup of tea......:hun:[/QUOTE]

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 05:46 PM
General consenus and BRP recommendations is that you NOT trailer your spyder in gear...... Leave it in neutral with the brake set, too much motion on the trailer can damage the transmission

Just my .02 cents worth

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

currin20fan
09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
[:clap:well was the bullet salty or sweet? Great news congrats.

QUOTE=currin20fan;516831]Bit the bullet and bought an Alumna Trailer for my spyder RT. This is a "just in case" move since I live almost 2 hours from the dealer. Anyhow, I have read previous comments on the forum concerning wheel chocks and was wondering if anyone has found less expensive wheel chocks that are safe for trailering my RT. $460 for a "just in case" isn't my cup of tea......:hun:[/QUOTE]

Sweet deal............same trailer that Spike has. Model 6810BT :yes::yes:

NancysToy
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I use some plastic chocks from Walmart. Drilled holes in the bottom so I can bolt them to the trailer floor. Chocks are a big help, but with most you still need the tie-downs front and back.

cougar
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
You can get all three wheels onto the trailer before it tilts forward??

Havasu Rider
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree with Scotty. I do the same thing and have never had the Spyder move even an inch. Also, using padding between the straps and the rims is smart. ;)

pickelhead
09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Chocks on all wheels and as many tie downs as necessary to immobilize you baby to make it one with the trailer.