PDA

View Full Version : New Battery

MidLifeCrisis
09-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I stopped for gas this morning and got the dreaded click on start up, followed by another click, so I let things sit for a bit and got one good start and rode back home, instead of to work. I know I should have bookmarked the batery discussions I've come across, but figured a search would be easier than all the unrelated topics I keep finding. So...for those of you who have needed new batteries, what do you recommend? is the spyder a standard size?

Thanks,

flamingobabe
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a RS...but I just went to dealer and bought a new one....this was after several times of re-charging the old one....took new one home ...put it on charger...12 volt...low slow charge for 24 hours....this will help in keeping a charge for a longer time....then to dealer...hook up to BUDS...remove codes...$50. and off I went....life is good and I love my Spyder

eddieshep999
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Ref a new battery

I Have a Spyder RT -S SE5 2010 Model

I was thinking of upgrading my OEM Battery and having used Odyssey batteries in the past
I wanted to fit one of them

I understood the PC680 is the correct size but I had the following questions

There were 2 choices - See below

Odyssey battery PC680MJ Size 186mm x 81mm x172mm (A Little bigger than the one below)

Odyssey battery PC680 Size 179mm x 75mm x 165mm

Both are rated with the same specs but the Odssey PC680MJ Has a metal jacket for increased heat and vibration resistance

I went with the PC680MJ and it fits ok on the RT

Very Happy with it

P.S I use a battery tender to keep the Battery full topped up - This does helo - On my old motorcycle a BMW K100 my Odssey Battery lasted the 8 yrs as they state in their information

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

M109Dreamer
09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Ref a new battery I Have a Spyder RT -S SE5 2010 Model I was thinking of upgrading my OEM Battery and having used Odyssey batteries in the past I wanted to fit one of them I understood the PC680 is the correct size but I had the following questions There were 2 choices - See below Odyssey battery PC680MJ Size 186mm x 81mm x172mm (A Little bigger than the one below)Odyssey battery PC680 Size 179mm x 75mm x 165mmBoth are rated with the same specs but the Odssey PC680MJ Has a metal jacket for increased heat and vibration resistance I went with the PC680MJ and it fits ok on the RT Very Happy with it P.S I use a battery tender to keep the Battery full topped up - This does helo - On my old motorcycle a BMW K100 my Odssey Battery lasted the 8 yrs as they state in their informationEddie Sheppard Reading UKWith the Odyssey battery, do you have to use a special battery tender because its gel? If so which one do you use?

wyliec
09-18-2012, 02:08 PM
With the Odyssey battery, do you have to use a special battery tender because its gel? If so which one do you use?

I don't have time right now, but, I checked into it and the Odyssey does require a special charger; I posted on it a while ago. I'm not saying that you can't use another type; but, I don't believe that the other type or types will get you to 100%.

If you want, I'll look it up later.

It's post #17 here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?26679-Odyssey-Chargers&highlight=odyssey%2Bbattery

eddieshep999
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
With the Odyssey battery, do you have to use a special battery tender because its gel? If so which one do you use?

I use an Optimate 6 Available here in the UK

If you do a search on Battery Chargers or Tenders on the Advance Search box Top RHS of this website it may give you some
good advice also on Batteries if you put that in the Search box

Hope this helps

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

nudle
09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
:bowdown:Time for Scotty to speak up

Dizneyman
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
:bowdown:Time for Scotty to speak up

Oh My too funny...:roflblack:

MidLifeCrisis
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Any idea how the PC680 does in hot climate?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

MrBones
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX18L-Battery.html?Category_Code=can-am-motorcycle-batteries I have this one and it has lots of good reviews. Had to try again to post as said I did not have enough things to post last time.

DrewNJ
09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX18L-Battery.html?Category_Code=can-am-motorcycle-batteries I have this one and it has lots of good reviews. Had to try again to post as said I did not have enough things to post last time.

That is a Deka. Fantastic battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbNormy
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
See you just joined in April, your's is a 2012 isn't it? Arent' batteries good for at least 6 months from BRP? :dontknow:I drive mine daily so I haven't put a trickle charger on it, but I bought one of those from Cycle Gear they mentioned a couple weeks ago.

bikeguy
09-19-2012, 01:25 AM

Odyssey batteries are Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) rather than Gel but I would not argue with Wyliec's info from Odyssey and Deltran. I use a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on my PC-680 and it has done well for over 2 years at this point.

Cotton

crossbowme
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
When OEM batteries wear out I replace them with Odysseys. Current I have one in a snowmobile and one in an ATV. When I was in the Army we used these batteries everywhere in small engines. They're bullet proof.

MidLifeCrisis
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
See you just joined in April, your's is a 2012 isn't it? Arent' batteries good for at least 6 months from BRP? :dontknow:I drive mine daily so I haven't put a trickle charger on it, but I bought one of those from Cycle Gear they mentioned a couple weeks ago.

Join date is April, but my RT is a 2010. I stuck a tender on it last night and took 4 hours to charge. I then disconnected it and left it over night. I re attached the tender this morning and it immediately switched to charge. I've only been taking short 7 mile runs with it once a week to work and back, due to the heat and not wanting to arrive for my meatings looking like a dead rat, so that alone may have not been enough to keep the battery charged.

I'll check it again tonight, but not sure if it's a sign of a dying battery, or it needed more use.

MLavore
09-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I would say give it a shot, and invest in a small set of motorcycle jumper cables to carry with you just in case. And remember, even though an alternator can recharge a battery the charge rate is very high and usually causes a "top charge" meaning proper voltage but not charged to capacity so it winds up dying shortly thereafter. This can potentially damage a battery that is deeply discharged so it's best to put it on a tender or something similar.

NancysToy
09-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Join date is April, but my RT is a 2010. I stuck a tender on it last night and took 4 hours to charge. I then disconnected it and left it over night. I re attached the tender this morning and it immediately switched to charge. I've only been taking short 7 mile runs with it once a week to work and back, due to the heat and not wanting to arrive for my meatings looking like a dead rat, so that alone may have not been enough to keep the battery charged.

I'll check it again tonight, but not sure if it's a sign of a dying battery, or it needed more use.

Have you had the Spyder checked for excessive amp draw from the audio system when off? Have you had the antenna water intrusion service bulletin performed? There may be other reasons for your battery to loose charge other than a bad battery. BTW, the indicator lights on the charger are not an accurate indication of the battery retaining sufficient voltage. Get a voltmeter. A fully charged battery should read at least 12.7 volts several hours (or the next morning) after being removed from the charger.

flybuddy
09-20-2012, 06:15 AM
The Odyssey PC680 is widely used in thousands of experimental aircraft. It's generally located under cowling behind a large air cooled engine. The battery performs better than the much larger 35 amp that was normally used in the past. The odyssey cranks better, handles the heat better, can be mounted in most any position and lasts longer. Only down side is the cost.

MidLifeCrisis
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The Odyssey PC680 is widely used in thousands of experimental aircraft. It's generally located under cowling behind a large air cooled engine. The battery performs better than the much larger 35 amp that was normally used in the past. The odyssey cranks better, handles the heat better, can be mounted in most any position and lasts longer. Only down side is the cost.

Good to know. Will definitely go this route. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

StanProff
09-20-2012, 02:36 PM

My 2010 has only failed to start one time. I put a charger on it and it did start after that. I decided to check the battery at the battery posts and found the ground cable would move back and forth very easily. I removed the bolt and cleaned it and reinstalled and tightened both hot and ground cables. that was about 6 or 8 months ago. No problem sence. If you haven't already i'd check the connections. I have never connected a tender to it. I run it at least once every 3 weeks in the off season and it always starts good.

MidLifeCrisis
10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Does the PC680 require any special mounting hardware? I've been leaving the battery on a tender, measuring voltage and it reads 12.5v, but seems to act up, if I happen to try to get a third start from it. Starts in the morning, starts after work, doesn't quite want to, if I stop for gas on the way home, so it really does seem like a weak battery! I blew the fuse on my tender yesterday, so I'm not going to chance riding it anymore, till replaced.

boborgera
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Does the PC680 require any special mounting hardware? I've been leaving the battery on a tender, measuring voltage and it reads 12.5v, but seems to act up, if I happen to try to get a third start from it. Starts in the morning, starts after work, doesn't quite want to, if I stop for gas on the way home, so it really does seem like a weak battery! I blew the fuse on my tender yesterday, so I'm not going to chance riding it anymore, till replaced.

At 12.5v your battery needs to be replaced,.Any thing under 12.7 is Suspect, And needs to be replace before you get stuck somewhere.!

eddieshep999
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Does the PC680 require any special mounting hardware?

Ref Odssey PC680
Odssey PC680MJ Has a metal jacket for increased heat and vibration resistance

The normal hadware for securing the OEM Battery will hold the Odssey PC680

I went with the PC680MJ and it fits ok on the RT - It is actually slightly smaller than the OEM - And it was harder to get the OEM
Battery out than put the PC68MJ in - I did also use some large zip ties to keep the battery secure in its metal jacket although
It did not need it I was just being extra careful to ensure the battery would not slide out

I also used some small angle brackets on the Battery terminals to ensure the + and - leads were not being stretched

No problems since fitting and also using a battery tender means the Spyder fires up first press of the starter button 9/10
its only hot starts than usually needs a couple of presses (Spyder RT - 2010 Models prone to this)