PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 2012 RT Sound and convienence model

DaveInWoodland
09-18-2012, 09:30 AM
First, hello to everyone, new member here.

I have been contemplating purchase but have been a bit concerned about the issues I've read both here and in other forums about different issues that personally I have not had with any of my previous motorcycles.

I have decided recently that it's time for me to move off of two wheels so there are not allot of options that are somewhat cost effective. I know also that forums are like an emergency room at the hospital where you're only going to find problems so I take that into account as well.

My wife and I are going to take a test drive this Saturday but before we sign on the dotted line I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that already has this model and what if anything you would do differently. Thnak you in advance to all that reply.

kentuckyguy
09-18-2012, 09:39 AM

I have been contemplating purchase but have been a bit concerned about the issues I've read both here and in other forums about different issues that personally I have not had with any of my previous motorcycles.

I have decided recently that it's time for me to move off of two wheels so there are not allot of options that are somewhat cost effective. I know also that forums are like an emergency room at the hospital where you're only going to find problems so I take that into account as well.

My wife and I are going to take a test drive this Saturday but before we sign on the dotted line I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that already has this model and what if anything you would do differently. Thnak you in advance to all that reply.

First thing to do is get rid of the front shocks an have the Elka shocks installed.. 2 friends of mine have been after me for a year to have the installed an I finally did. Wow. Hat a difference it made. It went like driving a go art threw a field to driving a Caddy on the interstate.

If you decide to do this check with SteveMac on here. He did have a few sets for sale.

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Only advice i can offer is that the information on the new models will be announced this Sunday, might want to wait an extra day or two and see what if any changes are made. But whatever you decide you will surely love whatever Spyder you decide to purchase.

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Welcome aboard, Dave! :2thumbs:
I think that it would be wise for you and your Best-half to take the test ride first; that'll kind of give you an idea if this will end up being what you're looking for...
Spyders do NOT handle or ride like motorcycles; think of them as feeling more like a snowmobile or ATV... :thumbup:
I've got an "A&C"... I've also spent that past 2 years upgrading it to "S" specs. It's possible; but probably wiser to opt for the RTS in the first place if you've got that urge to try and improve it! :shocked:
Please let us know what impressions you get from the Spyder on your test ride and Good Luck! :thumbup: :clap:

BlueLine
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Made the change from HD to the Spyder RT in July, it does require an adjustment but I'm glad I made the change. Just came back from a week in TN at Lamonsters BBQ and a ride day which invoked riding The Rattler, The Hellbenders, The Tail of the Dragon and The Skyline Drive, now Im convinced I've made the right move. Adding mods is part of ownership, but I recommend going with the RT-S right off, you'd end up there anyhow, I realize it now. The demo definitely made me realize there is a difference, but it took me three months of ownership to appreciate the difference.

d.o.spyder-rts
09-18-2012, 10:53 AM
:welcome:you've come to the right place to get all of your questions answered about spyders. :agree: with Cruzr Joe, you may want to wait until the announcement is made for the 2013 model year. As also suggested, you may want to consider upgrading to an RT-S; you'll probably save money on upgrades in the long run. I purchased a '12 RT-S in May and love it. Good luck with whatever you decide. Dale

CyncySpyder
09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
:congrats: on your upcoming New Ryde & :welcome:

As others have mentioned, right now we're on the cusp of the New for 2013 Models being anounced later this week, so right now, there are some GREAT deals out there to be made, both from BRP & from the dealerships.

IMHO & from personal experience, if your buying a NEW Machine, please do your research about the dealer, whichever one you choose and get feedback from customers that use them and make sure you feel comfortable in their ability to not only sell you a Spyder but to also properly Set-Up and Service your Spyder.

The RT model was Brand Spanking New when it came out in 2010 and many dealers went thru their growing pains, and we the consumers were on the tail end of their pains. If a dealer rushes thru the Initial Set-Up of a New Spyder, you can be in for alot of headaches. Most have now got the Set-up down by now, but not all, and you still see (from time to time) ppl having issues with brand new machines cause of improper dealer prep. Something as simple as them NOT fully charging the battery or making sure the battery terminals are tight, can throw all kinds of codes on these computer based machines, none of which will be for the actual cause, leading to frustration and lack of faith in that particular machine. When dealers are setting up a brand new machine, they are suppose to go by a Pre-Delivery Set-Up check sheet, and I'd suggest asking the Service Manager (NOT the salesman) to go over that with you, just to make sure they did everything they were suppose to and that you feel comfortable in understanding your New investment.

As for your previous riding experience, forget everything you know
EXCEPT FOR THE SAFETY KNOWLEDGE.

The Spyder is NOTHING like any two wheeler on the road today, and if you try ryding it like one, you will get very frustrated in no time, and you will HATE the Spyder Experience.

Please go into it with an OPEN mind,
and appreciate the ryde for what it is,
DIFFERENT and FUN!!!

Here is a link to one of the :firstplace: threads for any New Spyder Owners:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners)
It really has some great information to help acclimate new owners to get used to the Spyder Experience, as it is VERY DIFFERENT than traditional two wheel riding.

Teddy & I have been ryding an RT-S Spyder since they first came out in 2010 & are now on our 2nd one which is a 2011 SpyderFest Eddition SE5 RT-S from Len & the great folks at Cowtown in Cuba MO. even tho we live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Len and his gang know how to do it right, and for us, it was well worth the drive for peace of mind. We couldn't be happier and now have just over 51,000 miles of smiles in a little over two years of Spyder Ryde'n.

Fair Warning .......It becomes an addiction, the more you ryde, the more you want to ryde and it NEVER ends, so we don't fight it and we just give in and ryde every day:2thumbs:

Sorry to be long winded, but you asked for opinions and experiences. Also, with all the deals to be had right now, I'd definately go for either the RT-S or LMTD models, that way you get more for your money:thumbup: Good luck, enjoy the shopping, and more importantly...
:clap::yes:ENJOY THE RYDE:yes::clap:

Dave N Teddy~

53460 53459 53461
53462 53463

ARtraveler
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Here are a couple of threads about people who like their :spyder2:,s

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44206-Spyder-Reliability

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40744-Something-positive-to-say-about-BRP

:welcome:

mxz600
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I've got an "A&C"... I've also spent that past 2 years upgrading it to "S" specs. It's possible; but probably wiser to opt for the RTS in the first place if you've got that urge to try and improve it! :shocked:

Adding mods is part of ownership, but I recommend going with the RT-S right off, you'd end up there anyhow, I realize it now.
What does the "S" have that the "A&C" doesn't that you guys could not live without. I am thinking of going over to the dark side and just wanted the basic model but my dealer doesn't have one. They only have the A&C, S and the Limited.

I really don't want to spend the extra coin for the "A&C" because I see nothing there I want.

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Well the RTS does come with two extra speakers, foglights, the extra LED accent lights up by the headlights, and the ACS. The rest pretty much falls into the farkle category... Extra chrome accents, a liner for the frunk, a useless frunklight... all good stuff for a farkle-a-holic! :thumbup:

shelbydave
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome Aboard! We also bought the A&C model back in June, and love it!!! There are alot of things different between the A&C model, and the S model - most of which I considered just "luxury items" - fog lights, rear speakers, etc... The ONE Thing that I would like to add to my A&C model that is stock on the S model is the automatic rear suspension. Our plan was to ride 2-up most of the time, and it works for us pretty well... I just check the pressure of the suspension, and pump it up if it is low. The big difference was when you ride 2 - up and alone an equal amount of time... Alone at night with the suspension pumped up gives rather short distance visibility with low beams, and the ride is different. With the auto suspension, I could just push a button to adjust for either 1 or 2 people easily. Without it, you either have to either "deal with it" at one setting, or use a small compressor to make adjustments.
So anyways... throwing all other differences aside, that one feature would make the S more appealing (That is hindsight speaking)

You can always do the Bob D method of adding stuff to make the S, but then you also have warranty differences. Delivered with extras, they carry the same warranty as the bike, if added by the dealer, the length of the warranty is considerably shorter for the extras, and if installed by you - no warranty.

shelbydave
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
What does the "S" have that the "A&C" doesn't that you guys could not live without. I am thinking of going over to the dark side and just wanted the basic model but my dealer doesn't have one. They only have the A&C, S and the Limited.

I really don't want to spend the extra coin for the "A&C" because I see nothing there I want.

Base is manual transmission and no radio

A&C they offer the semi automatic, and you get the radio / front speakers.

I love manual transmissions, but in this case, I was looking at this as a Town Car type thing, so a Town Car with a stick just didn't appeal to me...

Sarge707
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Just Remember!!! With the $2,500 rebate in effect till 31 Oct and normal end of season prices you should be paying close to $5,000 LESS than List price- Check some prices in your Zip code at cycletrader.com and be armed with comparison information about the pricing and Don,t pay Shipping, Handling or Prep at this time 0f year!! I would wait till at least after Sunday so you see whats new for next season!

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
:agree: Good catch, Sarge! :thumbup:

bikeguy
09-18-2012, 01:16 PM

I agree with you, the "S" had nothing I wanted so I saw no reason to spend the extra money. I bought a base RT and the only thing I added was heated passenger grips so my wife's hands could stay toasty when we took a winter ride. I don't know how the resale will compare between my base RT and an RT-S but it will be awhile before I'm ready to trade it off anyway and by then I doubt there will be a lot of difference. Just the opinion of someone who isn't much for bling and music while riding.

Cotton

Littlebadwolf
09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
13k miles on my RS...zero breakdowns, lots of pleasure..Either way...Elka shocks and Ron's sway bar will convince you it's a great ride...

DaveInWoodland
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
First off thank you to each and everyone that had replied to my questions. I will definitely wait until next week before making any decisions with the new models coming out. The dealer I did email did however mention they have many below dealer cost with the rebate so we'll see what's up their prices.

I know this is really beating a dead horse for everyone here and I guess it's just because I am new to this board as well as new to the idea of moving from two wheels, but I have to admit I am fairly concerned with what I read both here and elsewhere in regard to reliability.

I really want to like this move but I know it would really put a dampener on my enthusiasm if I were to have multiple warranty issues or other nuances with something that cost as much as a small car. As I mentioned before I am aware of the forum mentality and the "emergency room" comparison but if I do a basic comparison between other boards and other motorcycles I have owned over the years nothing compares to what I have read in the short time I have been researching the Spyder.

This has been a problem for me so far but I have not said "no" yet.

shelbydave
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
First off thank you to each and everyone that had replied to my questions. I will definitely wait until next week before making any decisions with the new models coming out. The dealer I did email did however mention they have many below dealer cost with the rebate so we'll see what's up their prices.

I know this is really beating a dead horse for everyone here and I guess it's just because I am new to this board as well as new to the idea of moving from two wheels, but I have to admit I am fairly concerned with what I read both here and elsewhere in regard to reliability.

I really want to like this move but I know it would really put a dampener on my enthusiasm if I were to have multiple warranty issues or other nuances with something that cost as much as a small car. As I mentioned before I am aware of the forum mentality and the "emergency room" comparison but if I do a basic comparison between other boards and other motorcycles I have owned over the years nothing compares to what I have read in the short time I have been researching the Spyder.

This has been a problem for me so far but I have not said "no" yet.

This is understandable. You pay good money for this toy, and it needs to be "worth it".
some things I would suggest, and there are probably some very experienced folks here who can advise on what to look for, but...

1. Initial setup is very important! request that the dealer go through the checklist with you, and look it over before driving it away.
2. Buy a service manual. They are $25 or so online. This will help with any Oh :cus: moments you may have.
3. Just remember that this is quite a complex machine. There are more fail points than most other motorcycles (Except Harleys, from what I understand :joke:) the more you familiarize yourself with it, the better prepared you are.
4. there is also a post on here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&highlight=owners) - Good reading.

I almost allowed the negative posts to persuade me to take my truck to Cincy a few weeks ago.. I'm glad I took the Spyder!

CyncySpyder
09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
The RS/GS (Roadster Sport) model has been out since 2008 and the RT (Roadster Touring) model since 2010. The RS has 4 years of production under its belt and many learned lessons that henceforth went into the RT model. Granted, the RT has many more Bells & Whistles, hence the odds of more issues that could arise, this is all fact. The Rotax engine that is used in both models is a proven engine, used for years in many other applications throughout the world. Granted, the Spyder Brand is relatively new to the marketplace, but BRP isn't, so its not like your buying something without any track record to go on. Don't get me wrong, BRP (as any Company) has much room for improvement and growth (timely parts comes to mind), but one thing I think that most Spyder Owners would agree on, is that they are trying to do the right thing, and for the most part, they are listening to us, their consumer and working hard to make improvements, not only in the product but also in their customer relations, and I think that says alot about the company.

The point of all of my above ramblings is this. BRP & the Can-Am Spyder are a winning combination, not only for the company, but for us as the consumer as well. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, their weak link is their DEALER NETWORK & unfortunately, they have only so much control over that. I think if you were to go thru all of the complaints on this forum and deduce them down to the root cause,

TBC...... sorry....work.............