PDA

View Full Version : Riding alone in remote areas - essentials?

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 08:48 AM
My post about "600-mi service" has led me astray. What maintenance, survival and comfort items do you feel are essential for traveling on back roads in not-heavily populated areas? I picked up some great ideas from my previous post.

Sarah

catfish
09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
A cell phone and a six pack of cold Bud:cheers:

CyncySpyder
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
53445 53447 53448 53449 53450
:2thumbs:And like Lamont mentioned when he saw us packing up and about ready to leave his Bar-B-Q, We're pretty much self contained with just about everything we need:2thumbs:
:lecturef_smilie::shocked: Don't need no stinking hotel with bedbugs nojoke:yikes:

:rolleyes:And when we get tired or caught in really bad weather:cus:
:thumbup:we just pull over in a safe area and hop in, watch a movie or take a nap :2thumbs:

murphybrown
09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
First Welcome Welcome Welcome :clap:...I got my list of must haves from this forum. I take the same whether I am traveling to the store or across the nation. Besides the "necessary list" I got from a list on this forum I have added my personal stuff life raingear..always have a couple days survival food (since I like to eat real food I have home made jerky, hard boiled eggs and some fruit/veggies/nuts. Lots of water..TOILET PAPER...good book..camera..Sudoku..cell phone...Spot tracker..couple space blankets..flares...fire starter..DUCT TAPE (neon green of course!!)..hammer...small crow bar..headlamp for hands free flashlight..
OK just start creating a list of things you say "hmmm that might come in handy". My "spyder needs list" is of course those things I need if Ms Spyder decides to fart n fall (never happened)...I am NOT mechanical but figure someone will eventually come along that knows what those funny looking things (fuse puller!!) are for...or wow might find someone broke down that can benefit from that siphon pump I have tucked in a corner of the trunk..
Enjoy your rydes close and far...nothing better in my opinion...this time of year PRICELESS...fall in WA state just screams for being out on the Spyder...:yes:

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Ole slabsides... :thumbup: 53464

flamingobabe
09-18-2012, 10:18 AM
welcome......murphybrown has covered pretty well.....in Texas you'll need an umbrella...not for rain...but for shade if something was to happen on the road...water...where in Texas? I'm near Houston

SpyderAnn01
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
A gallon of gas.

Adirondack Mik
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Well your residences cover such a wide area you should probably have two kits. In Texas you need cricket and armadillo spray to keep the critters away, at 100 degrees the cold beer is really good idea. :yes::yes: In Canada I would love Dave and Teddy's trailer, good rain gear, military sleeping bag(your tax dollars buy the best), a 12 inch crescent wrench, a crescent combo screwdriver, a combo Allen wrench and about 6 road flares. You might not see another driver for the flares but I guarantee they will start a fire with the wettest wood. Jerky, granola or power bars and water, water, water. I would also ensure I had a good pair of boots or shoes if I had to walk out. Parts of Canada, Alaska, and the Adirondacks means you may have to walk awhile.

alajeu
09-18-2012, 11:33 AM
My post about "600-mi service" has led me astray. What maintenance, survival and comfort items do you feel are essential for traveling on back roads in not-heavily populated areas? I picked up some great ideas from my previous post.

Sarah

Bring a credit card

dick574
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
First Welcome Welcome Welcome :clap:...I got my list of must haves from this forum. I take the same whether I am traveling to the store or across the nation. Besides the "necessary list" I got from a list on this forum I have added my personal stuff life raingear..always have a couple days survival food (since I like to eat real food I have home made jerky, hard boiled eggs and some fruit/veggies/nuts. Lots of water..TOILET PAPER...good book..camera..Sudoku..cell phone...Spot tracker..couple space blankets..flares...fire starter..DUCT TAPE (neon green of course!!)..hammer...small crow bar..headlamp for hands free flashlight..
OK just start creating a list of things you say "hmmm that might come in handy". My "spyder needs list" is of course those things I need if Ms Spyder decides to fart n fall (never happened)...I am NOT mechanical but figure someone will eventually come along that knows what those funny looking things (fuse puller!!) are for...or wow might find someone broke down that can benefit from that siphon pump I have tucked in a corner of the trunk..
Enjoy your rydes close and far...nothing better in my opinion...this time of year PRICELESS...fall in WA state just screams for being out on the Spyder...:yes:

Karyl, I've tried to search for the "necessary list" you mentioned, but can't seem to find it. Thought it might be helpful to others if we could locate & identify it. This would complete your list that you mentioned here.

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
These replies are just great - practicality and FUN. I'm a wee bit nervous about my 600-mi service tomorrow. The people at the dealership in Surrey are very nice and very accomodating but....No one has ever heard of a drive belt guard or bump skid plate. I told them that I had ordered the guard from Spyderpops - "WHO"? No one has ever heard about them. I am now talking to the manager:shocked: who tells me that he has maybe heard of Spyderlovers.com:yikes: He doesn't know what a bump skid plate is:yikes: and the mechanic MAY be able to install the guard if I bring it but today is his first day on the job:pray: No, he is aware of mud flap led lights but they don't carry them. I asked if I could be with the mechanic so I could become familiar with Tas and I was told that I couldn't be in the shop for insurance purposes:banghead:.

I'll get through this service date tomorrow and hope you folks can help me find a good mechanic here in BC or WA.
Maybe this new fellow is good:yes:

Bob Denman
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif for you! Good Luck! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
:welcome: to the site. I ryde a lot, but my camping days are over. Now I use restaurants and motels on my rydes--so will not offer you advice what to carry. Previous posters have you covered well though.

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Akspyderman,

I used to live and fly out of Wascilla. Camping ain't for sissies up there. I'll let you know how I feel about camping Thusday AM. I plan to try out my new bag and bivy tent tomorrow night. ;)

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi Flamingobabe,

I will probably head back to Texas when the weather turns. It is currently in the 80's here in BC. I keep my 5th wheel trailer near South Padre Island. I plan to put some miles on Tas so I hope we meet.

daveinva
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Here in civilized America? Cash, credit card, and cell phone (always on my person in case I get "separated from the bike"). That's enough IMHO.

I'd love a SPOT tracker just to be on the safe side, but in the interim, if I ever go into more remote areas I just "file a flight plan" with the GF, let her know the approximate area where I'm riding so in case I don't show up she can send the cavalry.

Otherwise, I have my roll-up tool bag in the bottom of my frunk:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1173-32-Pocket-Socket/dp/B000KKUTCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347996398&sr=1-1 :thumbup:

In it I include the following:

1. The stock RS BRP tool bag contents
2. A socket wrench with assorted sockets/screwdriver heads (yay torx!)
3. Assorted crescent wrenches
4. Grip pliers
5. Needlenose pliers
6. Multi-head screwdriver and assorted allen wrenches
7. Zip ties
8. Electrical tape and assorted posi-taps
9. Loctite
10. WD-40
11. LED headlamp
12. Leatherman multi-tool
13. A tire gauge or two

Probably a few other things in there too, but that's been enough to get me through every bit of work I've ever needed to do on the Spyder, both in the field and at home.

ARtraveler
09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Tas: I did lots of camping between the 60's and 90's when I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I used to be a big Boundary Waters Canoe Area enthusiast. Over the years I traveled to hundreds of lakes in the wilderness and spent many a night with a lake to ourselves (20-30 miles from civilazation), the tent, and the stars. No worry about grizzly bears--just black bears and moose. Those were great days and glad I had the opportunity to experience the BWCA.

muonwhiz
09-18-2012, 03:06 PM

where are you keeping the bang bang? Mine is about that size too, so frunk? Ideas for better accessability in times of need?

TasmanianDevil
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Muonwhiz, My bang bang is in TEXAS:roflblack:

Havasu Rider
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
My survival kit is a cell phone and AAA. It has always worked for me.

Bob Denman
09-19-2012, 06:53 AM
where are you keeping the bang bang? Mine is about that size too, so frunk? Ideas for better accessability in times of need?

Galco S.O.B. holster... :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM

Baby Glock 40 and several other small automatics fit in the small glovebox right in front of you

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

revjvegas
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Cargo pants or riding pants with cargo pockets also work well; those big pockets up front are more than big enough for my .380
And the breast pocket in most riding jackets can easily fit a .22

murphybrown
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Karyl, I've tried to search for the "necessary list" you mentioned, but can't seem to find it. Thought it might be helpful to others if we could locate & identify it. This would complete your list that you mentioned here.

Dick I will try and locate...I think it was a Scotty list...I will post here after I find...have a good one.

muonwhiz
09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Cargo pants or riding pants with cargo pockets also work well; those big pockets up front are more than big enough for my .380
And the breast pocket in most riding jackets can easily fit a .22

I know my gun won't fit in the glove box (which opens & closes unreliably anyway, so I don't use it). Usually in cargo pants I keep cell phone & wallet, don't think gun will fit in there either, but I'll try it. A shoulder holster would be ok, but these are made to fit men, which means they won't fit me! I'm in TX too (thank goodness it has travel laws). Any other ideas?

MidLifeCrisis
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
I know my gun won't fit in the glove box (which opens & closes unreliably anyway, so I don't use it). Usually in cargo pants I keep cell phone & wallet, don't think gun will fit in there either, but I'll try it. A shoulder holster would be ok, but these are made to fit men, which means they won't fit me! I'm in TX too (thank goodness it has travel laws). Any other ideas?

Yup, a 50 cal mounted to thr rear cubby. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Rar
09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
There are still many remote areas without reliable cell coverage - as some of you who attended SITA this summer learned. :( Mountainous terrain can block signals. As a precaution, you might want to verify if you'll have any black spots. I lose cell coverage in my 26 mile trip from my home to my Spyder dealer in Saranac.

Bob Denman
09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
A clarification please: Saranac, or Saranac Lake?
(We've got a camp in Onchiota... the only time we have cell service is if we climb up on top of the outhouse wearing a cooking pot on our head, and holding a roll of tinfoil in our other hand... :coffee:

Adirondack Mik
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Saranac Bob, we lived in Saranac Lake for 25 years and decided to move to the flat lands of Plattsburgh. Longer riding season 10 degrees warmer.

Rar
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
A clarification please: Saranac, or Saranac Lake?
(We've got a camp in Onchiota... the only time we have cell service is if we climb up on top of the outhouse wearing a cooking pot on our head, and holding a roll of tinfoil in our other hand... :coffee:

Folks frequently confuse Saranac and Saranac Lake. They are about 30 miles from each other. As you probably discovered in attending SITA, Saranac Lake is about 10 miles from Lake Placid, Onchiota maybe 25 from Lake Placid.

You're right - no cell coverage in Onchiota, but there are lots of outhouses. :roflblack:

murphybrown
09-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Below is my list of "stuff" I always have on/in Ms Spyder. Cell phone/GPS/Spot tracker are ram mounted. Handgun always carried concealed on person (me)..right hand pocket..I'm right handed. Extra Spyder key is always on me..figure if I'm not lost neither will my extra key...no longer pack separate camera as my Iphone gets the job done...small pair of binoculars are tucked in with my clothes/personal items in frunk..frunk also has my ipad and all those cords required to keep my world charged...

Left Side S/Bag Right Side S/Bag

Bungee (2 ea lg/sm RokStraps) Heated Gear (Jac,pants,gloves)
Flares (3) Liners for layering/Head/neck over
RainGear (jsc,pants, boot, gloves) ex ammo for handgun
Spyder cover/gr shirt 4 windshield

Glove Box Back Trunk Area/general
Registration 2 Qt. Oil/funnel
Insurance Windshield Cleaner/Cloth
Flashlight/Headlamp IP/XM Module
Pers. (DL/Passport/CC/cash) Lg/sm MicroCloth
Emergency #’s Small Pry Bar
Daily Trip Sheet
Kleenex/farmer brown hankies (good for lots of uses)

Storage Box #1-orange/in back trunk Storage Box #2-green/in back trunk

Duct and packaging tape 1st Aid Kit
Electrician Tape 8” Lineman Pliers
Funnel Hammer Fire Starter/matches
Fuses (all amps) + fuse puller Micro cloths (xtras)
Helmet Key Pledge/Plexus/Dryer sheets (for bug removal)
IPOD connector Readers cause I can't see!! (xtra pr/mine)
Leatherman Tool Whistle
Space Blankets (2) Parachute Cord
Spark Plugs (2) NGK-2641/DCPR9E Screwdriver: phil/slot Set of Allen
TP Gas Syphon Hose/pump Tie wire 18g
Utility Knife
Zip ties 4”/10”

crossbowme
09-19-2012, 06:12 PM
I have done a number of remote runs both by pickup and motorcycle. In remote areas, some of the things you think you can't live without are a waste of effort. I just returned from a 12,305 mile pickup trip to the Arctic and Alaska driving thru the northern provinces. The only time I saw reliable cell was in the cities or in areas set up especially for that. Denali comes to mind in that regard. DON"T depend on cell for anything - nice to have is all it's good for. That is the same for large parts of my home in Maine.

When I was on the "Haul Road" in the Arctic I saw dozens of BMW G series bikes there. They had just two pannier bags a tent and sleeping bag each. All were wearing pro riding gear and helmets. My point is think this subject thru carefully, select your equipment and then do a test drive/camp a weekend before you jump off and do some serious riding. Remember - you don't need a lot to be comfortable.

No pistols in Canada and a number of US States and cities.

Rar
09-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I have done a number of remote runs both by pickup and motorcycle. In remote areas, some of the things you think you can't live without are a waste of effort. I just returned from a 12,305 mile pickup trip to the Arctic and Alaska driving thru the northern provinces. The only time I saw reliable cell was in the cities or in areas set up especially for that. Denali comes to mind in that regard. DON"T depend on cell for anything - nice to have is all it's good for. That is the same for large parts of my home in Maine.

When I was on the "Haul Road" in the Arctic I saw dozens of BMW G series bikes there. They had just two pannier bags a tent and sleeping bag each. All were wearing pro riding gear and helmets. My point is think this subject thru carefully, select your equipment and then do a test drive/camp a weekend before you jump off and do some serious riding. Remember - you don't need a lot to be comfortable.

No pistols in Canada and a number of US States and cities.

:2thumbs: Absolutely! Also, as Hubby (Adirondack Mike) suggests, "be prepared to walk".

Mr. White
09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Bob, Bob...you forgot a backup of a .357 and two quarts of Wild Turkey....

NancysToy
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't do much riding in real remote areas, but there are some things I would consider.

Communications: A cell phone is fine if it will work, but it probably isn't good for more remote regions. The SPOT Satellite Messenger can send a location signal to your loved ones and can be used to summon help. The SPOT Connect device can turn your cell phone into a satellite phone.

Fuel/Oil: A gas can or two and/or a siphon hose if you travel with someone else. The REDA and Rotopax are sturdy enough, designed for this use, and are usually leak resistant if properly closed. I also carry a quart of oil and a funnel (if I remember the funnel).

Money: I tuck a couple of big bills away in a plain wrapper somewhere on the bike. You never know when you might be robbed or lose your wallet. Some folks won't accept credit cards. Carry a credit card, though, with a reasonable balance, in case you have to arrange for lodging, towing, repairs, tires, or transportation back home.

Shelter: This seems stupid to most folks, but I carry a space blanket or two. Karyl's parachute cord is a good idea, too. You can survive a night or two broken down in the cold, make an emergency shelter, or even use one as a tarp for roadside repairs. The shiny surface can signal help from the air.

Tools: This pretty much depends on your skills and experience. The side of the road 50 miles from civilization is no place to learn how to overhaul an engine...or even learn how to remove body panels. I don't take many, but I do take more than the basic toolkit, including a multi-meter.

Parts: I carry few, depending on the length of the ride and the circumstances. Even changing plugs on an RT is a major chore, and not recommended for the inexperienced rider. Call for help unless you know what you are doing.

Food/Water: Take enough to survive a day or two. Water is most important (or a water purifier). Non-perishable food bars are good, as is dried fruit. This isn't for snacks, it is for emergencies. I keep these supplies separate from any other food or snacks.

First Aid: A decent first aid kit is adviseable. I always carry one. For remote areas, we pack a bigger one with more capabilities.

Misc: Safety wire, Gorilla tape, jackknife or multi-tool, shop rags, zip-ties, a hat, spare gloves, insect repellant, sunscreen. Spare glasses if you need them, medications, a medical history, shop manual on my phone, phone/SPOT charger.

This list is far from complete, but includes most of the basics for survival. I'm sure there are more you can think of.

Ga Blue Knight
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
If you have to spend the night in a big city on the bike a good place to stay is a in the suburbs. This was pretty much routine in the early '60s when I and a bunch of friends did a lot of cross country motorcycling. I doubt anyone is going to bother you especially the local residents.

Bob Denman
09-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Bob, Bob...you forgot a backup of a .357 and two quarts of Wild Turkey....

George.... :gaah:

I know that you know this; the 1911s are more reliable than tomorrow's sunrise... ;) (Or even Punkin'!)

2 Quarts huh... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_6.gif That DOES offer the promise of good solid sleep for the rest of the day! :thumbup:

TasmanianDevil
09-23-2012, 08:05 AM
DON'T LEAVE FOOD IN TRIKE!!! Fortunately, that thought crossed my mind before sunset. I didn't want to have my apple in the bivy (bivouac) tent either. The limbs on the trees were about 30' high and I only brought a thin 20'-long rope on this shakedown cruise. No, I didn't bring a cooler with me. ;) I hid my apple in a pile of rocks about 20' from the tent, thinking I would hear a bear tumble the rocks - I didn't.

Around 1 AM, I awoke in the nearly deserted campground in Hope, BC, I could hear the bear breaking branches nearby. I am virtually laying on the ground with a cover around my sleeping bag. The tent flap is open so I could watch the bright stars (head is exposed). Did I mention that I like to travel alone:yikes:? Of course, by bang, bang is in TX:(. I can't remember where I put the spare batteries to my tiny flashlight. By the way, installing fresh batteries before dark might be a good idea. My bear spray is handy but I figured I would probably spray myself in the PITCH BLACK camp site (with no neighbors) if the bear decided to attack me in my bag. I could put the flashing signals on Tas but I hid my keys under a rock :banghead:so no one would steel Tas in the middle of the night. They'd have to shoot me before I'd give them the keys:roflblack:. Don't forget a spare key. That bear wasn't leaving. How do I know it was a bear? My back yard in BC is forest and I am accustomed to having them around in my yard and on my deck. They have a certain gate when they are rumaging around. The pattern of the breaking branches sounded familiar.

Finally, I squirmed out of my mummy bag, grabbed spray, weak flashlight, found key, lit up Tas and was able to scare bear away without sounding the horn which might have awakened other campers, if there were any. DON'T FORGET BRANDY.
THERE IS NO PLACE TO HIDE! The City Center Motel, Hope, was nice.;)

Last Weds, I had my 600-mi servicing in Surrey, which went very well. I visited with the mechanics and have confidence in them. I then caste my fate to the wind and headed for the mountains for a few days. I just returned last night and will take off again soon. The ride from Hope to Lillooet was perfect. From there on was great but the weekend traffic was a bit much.

sinkhole
09-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Baby Glock 40 and several other small automatics fit in the small glovebox right in front of you

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

Waaaay too much heat in there for me. :shocked:

TasmanianDevil
09-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Having the bear eat my apple next to me during the middle of the night has caused me to reflect about my camping style..."it ain't working for me"! It's no fun not being able to have a bang bang in Canada.

Bob Denman
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
No firearms? No problem!
Maybe you should have just strangled him, and had fresh bearsteaks for breakfast! :thumbup: :roflblack:

Littlebadwolf
09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Let me see...guns...guns....did I say guns?

CWilber
09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Something for bee/hornet/yellow jackets stings as they tend to fly under your sunglasses or in your clothes. Sure is handy to be able to treat right then rather than suffer. Benedryl stick works well.

Bob Denman
09-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Good idea; especially if you are allergic to those suckers! :thumbup: